Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Screw you Sony and your crappy CD-Rs

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Screw you Sony and your crappy CD-Rs

Postby multivariable » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:05 pm

Just bought meself a rather large external hard drive, onto which I planned to copy my extensive collection of ill-gotten digital music. :pirate:

Because of my previous lack of hard drive space, I'd written a lot of this music to CD-Rs and DVD-Rs, after buying 10-packs of whatever "reputable" brand blank disk was on special at the time. I have TDK, LG, Verbatim etc. and, I'm sorry to say, Sony.

None of these disks are more than 5-6 years old. Every other brand of disk is still perfectly functional and readable after this time, but at least 60% of the Sony mutherfuckers will no longer read tracks toward the end of the disk (i.e. the outer rim). Some of them won't read anything at all, and all my disks have been stored in (the same) good environmental conditions.

In fact, many of these Sony pieces of shit have become translucent, i.e. you can see the felt pen marks and the Sony logo on the solid side through the disk itself when looking from the business side.

So, now I have to go to the trouble of downloading all this shit again. I think I'll also seek out other artists on the Sony BMG Music roster and download that stuff for free, just to make meself feel better.

Screw you Sony. Don't buy Sony optical media.
multivariable

Re: Screw you Sony and your crappy CD-Rs

Postby Overnet User » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:43 pm

I have found that the best disk (at least from my experience) are the ones that are on sale in those buy one pack/get one free deals. The ones that I always bought full price I wasn't satisfied with and had problems such as you suggested above with the outer not being able to read. I even bought Skip Doctor Motorized to clean the disk thinking that maybe it could just be not clean enough as they had a few surface scratches too. The problem was though that the more expensive disk would do as suggested above and sometimes the top cover would flake away on the top rim which would lead to problems when it go to read there. Skip Dr worked well for scratches, but not for flaking or outer rim issues.
Why Join The Fight?
http://www.eff.org/bloggers/join/
News Without Queues: Follow OvernetUser on Twitter http://twitter.com/OvernetUser
Overnet User

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:56 pm

multivariable wrote:Don't buy Sony.

fixed it for you.
MrFredPFL

Postby zbeast » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:36 pm

You finally encountered Sony's auto deletion media.. it auto-detected your ill gotten gains and automatically
removed them from you. There by protecting music company's and musicians rights.

Shame on you for stealing music, shame shame.. if you put legal content on those disk's the content would not
have been deleted.

</humor>

The thing is sony does not make there own media... they get it from the lowest bidder.
You should always buy media from company's who make there money from making reliable media.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby ejonesss » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:21 am

i dont think it is auto deleting..

i think if anything a piece of code would be written from the factory onto the pre track or somewhere that most cdr drives can only read.

that would tell the drive to give write errors ( i forget where i read of the horror reports that drive makers want to put drm on the drives cdrw or hard)

i do know about code on pre tracks because i think that is how the home audio cd recorders are able to detect the difference between data and audio cdr(w) media witch is to enforce the (i think) royalty tax.

i think it is probably a sign of the economic times (everyone wants to save money)

i think most drms are about stopping piracy before it even happens by locking the content or for example sending the video directly to the screen using hardware acceleration instead of software to make it more difficult to intercept.

or to block the analog outputs on an hd tv

zbeast wrote:You finally encountered Sony's auto deletion media.. it auto-detected your ill gotten gains and automatically
removed them from you. There by protecting music company's and musicians rights.

Shame on you for stealing music, shame shame.. if you put legal content on those disk's the content would not
have been deleted.

</humor>

The thing is sony does not make there own media... they get it from the lowest bidder.
You should always buy media from company's who make there money from making reliable media.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:58 am

she was joking. :roll:
MrFredPFL

Postby Fartingbob » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:59 am

Well every company makes good optical discs and cheaper optical discs. Verbitam have a reputation for making high quality, long lasting discs. They also make ones that sell for 1/4 of the price of these quality discs. I wouldn't expect them to last as long.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:22 am

multivariable wrote:So, now I have to go to the trouble of downloading all this shit again. I think I'll also seek out other artists on the Sony BMG Music roster and download that stuff for free, just to make meself feel better.

You should sue Sony for your wasted time 8)
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Townie » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:11 pm

The brand printed on the disc is irrelevant really as hardly any major brands make their own discs. what matters is who made it which is identified by the media ID.

Since finding out about this I've stuck with Taiyo Yuden and Maxell and hardly ever had a problem.

Read more:
http://www.best-dvd-burning-software-re ... -media.asp

Or search for your media ID here:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?dvdme ... List+Media
Townie

Postby senseispab » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:14 pm

I bet they'd work on a Vaio
senseispab

Postby sil5er » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:14 pm

sorry to hear you have lost data. that sucks.

Taiyo Yuden are the ONLY archive quality brand of disc that I know of.

Made in Japan (ONLY), and all going well, they have a useful lifespan of many decades.

Although I run RAID5 and RAID1 arrays, there is often a clear case for having a seperate, offline and non-magnetic, backup copy of ... stuff that took many man-hours to collect.

The only thing I care about with archiving stuff on burnt DVD's is the ability to read them many years later. ... so I pay more for the TY DVD+R option. FYI, so far ... they have ALL worked perfectly. I reburnt my entire backups -- then only ~1TB -- about three years ago, when I finally discovered this wisdom. Never looked back.
sil5er

Postby Digital_Freedom » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:05 pm

I have CD Roms that go back as far as 1997, about the first year I got on to the internet bandwagon. Years before that I was still using real old 8-bit computers like the Atari 800XL - LOL Wow that is showing my age!

I may be in the minority here, but I think the OP might have a point. Over the years I have bought nearly every brand of CD/DVDs in the world, at cheap and expensive prices. I even have experience with the rare COLOR HP LightScribe discs that allow you to burn a monochrome picture on to the top of the disc from a picture on your computer (such as a pic of a music cd or movie DVD).

It happens to be true that I also have got more SONY brand CD roms fail on me over the past decade than any other brand, and I do not recall buying that many Sony cd roms in the first place. However, in most cases when I found my older Sony CD roms were bad I could actually see pits in the disc, in other words, some how my Sony CD Roms got damaged- they were not always in there cases. I may be wrong, but I am speculating here that maybe Sony CDs need to be handled with kid gloves. Because I have tons of other brands of CD roms that were treated just as bad and they are still working fine.

Recently I have been going to one of the small "Box-Lot" stores that sells about everything made in China (Shesh, I wish I could find something made in my own country). These stores are undercutting Walmart by as much as 4 to one on some electronics/computer goods! So far the quality of most of their products seem to be BETTER than Walmart as well (imho). It's almost like they watch what the other stores stock and they next stock other items that often are better for less cost. So....

The best buy I can find in the nearby "hick" town far away from the big city is $8.00 for 50 blank CD Roms. I hope all members realize that the so called "MUSIC CD DISCS" are nothing special, in other words they are plane old school CD Roms. The put the MUSIC symbol on the discs and tell us how they are specially for MUSIC only, so in America we get to pay a special MUSIC TAX on any compact disc said to be sold for MUSIC purposes. It can amount to a few bucks, somewhere I read as much as $2.00 music tax on a 50 or may it was a 25 pack. So we all can either choose to help out the music industry get richer by purchasing their special MUSIC-taxed CD ROMS, or we can purchase the plane jane CD Roms.

The same store I spoke about sells 25 packs of slim CD/DVD plastic covers with black color on the back with a clear front cover, ideal for inserting printed cover copies for music or movie CD/DVDs - price is 25 pack for $4.00 (American Dollar). Around here I have seen 25 packs of other brands of such slim discs holders sell for almost twice as much at the big-box stores, and I found the more expensive brands to break much easier.

I buy my CDs now in 50 packs for $8.00 for brands such as Memorex and Philips and also use the slim cases purchased at $4.00 for packs of 25. So, at that rate it costs $16 for a pack of 50 CD Roms With a case for every disc. I'm having good luck with these cases too, they do not break as easy- NO brand name, they say "Black Slim Case - 25 - Made by "KHypermedia Corp." - http://www.KHyermedia.com - Can not locate the site, it seems to not be online. (Not spamming, for ID purposes only)
D.F.
Digital_Freedom

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion