Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Can't play movie

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Can't play movie

Postby peeches » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:52 am

Hi iv'e searched for an answer, because im sure im not the first person to ask this question.

Downloaded a movie off torrent, my first time ^^ when i goto play it says " Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file. "

I been looking for an answer for an hour now and can't find out what todo, can anyone help the noob plz
peeches

Re: Can't play movie

Postby SleepyOne » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:07 am

I'm sure someone after me will give a longer answer, but the short answer would be: Try playing the file in VLC.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html
SleepyOne

Postby peeches » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:18 am

Iv'e downloaded the file, but that won't work either ?
peeches

Postby SleepyOne » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:25 am

Ok, what happens when you try to play the file in VLC then?
SleepyOne

Postby povinho » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:34 am

hehe .... vlc is mainly a player, not a codecs library.

Try www.codecs.com, k-lite usually works for me :)
povinho

Postby SleepyOne » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:44 am

povinho wrote:hehe .... vlc is mainly a player, not a codecs library.

Try http://www.codecs.com, k-lite usually works for me :)

Wrong, that's exactly what makes VLC so special, it has builtin support for all major formats and then some.

VLC will play all "release standard" xvid, divx, dvd, h264 etc files without any need for external codecs, that's why I suggested to try that first.
SleepyOne

Postby Downloader » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:56 am

G-spot codec finder aught to tell you what codec it was encoded in or what codec you will need to play it. Assuming VLC does not work.

Sorry I dont have a link I have it on my storage drive, so you will probably have to google for it.
SwordOfZork wrote:Just because you CAN sue someone, doesn't mean you're not a total douche for doing so.
Downloader

Postby SleepyOne » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:25 am

Downloader wrote:G-spot codec finder aught to tell you what codec it was encoded in or what codec you will need to play it. Assuming VLC does not work.

Ah, good idea, completely forgot about that one.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/index.htm
SleepyOne

Postby povinho » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:51 am

SleepyOne wrote:
povinho wrote:hehe .... vlc is mainly a player, not a codecs library.

Try http://www.codecs.com, k-lite usually works for me :)

Wrong, that's exactly what makes VLC so special, it has builtin support for all major formats and then some.

VLC will play all "release standard" xvid, divx, dvd, h264 etc files without any need for external codecs, that's why I suggested to try that first.

that is why I added the word "mainly".

Besides, mplayer will play everything vlc plays, and works better on my low powered machine and low memory machine. but hey, this is just a preference.
povinho

Postby SleepyOne » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:07 am

The point here is to get his file to play. I'm not going to fall for your obvious baiting.
SleepyOne

Postby povinho » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:34 am

someone is on a bad mood today...

whatever, I agree with you, tthe important is to get the file working.
povinho

Postby peeches » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:30 am

Well as said guys im a total noob, at the moment im downloading a free trial at http://www.winzip.com/downauto.cgi?o=1& ... .exe&idl=n.

Am i on the right lines or am i way off ? through me a bone iv'e never done this before.
peeches

Postby peeches » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:40 am

well i downloaded the winzip file, i can now hear the movie but i can't see it ?
peeches

Postby Fartingbob » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:40 am

What file format is the movie in? .Rar is the usual format for compressed files on BT (will usually be in multiple files, open one of them up in winRar and it'll extract the main file and join it together). .zip does the same thing.
Most movie files will be .avi, in which case ive yet to find such a file that VLC couldnt play (providing the file itself isnt corrupt).
You really need to give us more info about the type of file your trying to play (dont give the full filename, just the extention would be handy). Otherwise we'll be going in circles for hours.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby peeches » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:03 am

The file is a avi ... iv'e manged to change the movie file into somethink that windows player can play, but all i get is the sound ?

Is it possible that i didn't actul download the movie and i just downloaoded the sound track to it ? or am i doing somethink wrong, im now playing it with VLC
peeches

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:36 am

peeches wrote:The file is a avi ... iv'e manged to change the movie file into somethink that windows player can play, but all i get is the sound ?

What format are you referring to when you say you managed to "change the movie file into somethink [sic] that windows player can play"? Also, is that the file that you are now trying to play, or are you trying to play the original AVI?
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Downloader » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:41 am

AVI is a file container it could contain any number of different formats. WMP should play any AVI provided you have the right codec installed. Changing the extention has allowed WMP to attemp to play the file but can only output audio because you have the correct audio codec installed. Video codec not installed = no picture.

Install Gspot (sleepyones link) and let that analyse your file. That should tell you what codec it was encoded in aswell as what codec to instal to play it. If Gspot cannot provide that information then the file is either A) corrupted or B) encoded in an esoteric codec.

Once Gspot has told you the codec required, goto google and google it, download the codec, virus scan it, then install and try again. If that doesn't work come back and provide us with the Gspot info and we might be able to help further.
SwordOfZork wrote:Just because you CAN sue someone, doesn't mean you're not a total douche for doing so.
Downloader

Postby povinho » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:00 am

Just to confirm that, if there is sound but you get no image, then you will only be missing the correct codec.

update:

downloader is right in what he said.
I would advise you to try mega-codec from the link I have told you. I have been using it for the last 3 years and so far no complains. Never found a virus in it and as far as I am aware it is free. And I am in no way related to them.

I do appologise if I came accross a bit 'funny' in my first reply to this post. Lack of sleep and lots of work tend to do this to me :)
povinho

Postby P2P_Zion » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:52 pm

You probably installed a virus.

Or after installing codec or other players, shut pc down and reboot.. And try again.. if not, then you should burn the audio to a cd and listen to it in the car.

I used windows media player 10 and it downloads the codec and plays the movie. Someone could of fucked up the ripping of a movie to, so who knows.
P2P_Zion

Postby HEAT84 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:06 am

I was thinking virus too but I don't think so if he's getting sound. Its not impossible but not likely. Also he downloaded it from BT. Its very rare to get a virus from BT.

Why don't you go to the site where you got the torrent from and look at its comments. Maybe other people had the same problem and solved it or the person who posted it provided info about how to play the movie.

While the video is playing, go to VLC's Tools menu and click on messages. It should say the name of the video codec and that VLC doesn't support it. Make sure you set the verbosity level to 2. Although usually VLC tells you that without you having to open the messages window. If the video doesn't play and it doesn't tell you that its codec is unsupported, it means its not a video fie or you're still downloading it and the first chunk of the file(the video header) hasn't been downloaded yet. You could try opening it with VirtualDub too. Or also AVIcodec, which is like G-Spot.

Edit: Maybe its a RealPlayer Video. VLC claims to support that but it doesn't and most video players don't. I've never heard of a movie sized RealPlayer video though. There's also SMPlayer. That plays weird codecs.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby povinho » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:45 am

HEAT84 wrote:I was thinking virus too but I don't think so if he's getting sound. Its not impossible but not likely. Also he downloaded it from BT. Its very rare to get a virus from BT.

you are correct in your analysis. The sound was the giveaway for me - basicaly it was encoded with a not so common codec.

I suggested to read more about the matter and never to download any codecs if the clip asked for it. Once the user installed the proper one, I believe it worked fine.
povinho

Return to BitTorrent