Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Historical BitTorrent Question

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Historical BitTorrent Question

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:23 am

Hey all...

As I'm working feverishly on my book, there are inevitable historical questions that I'm running into. Most I can research, but here's one that I don't think is well documented...

SuprNova's search engine, if you recall, was introduced in April of 2004. The question is, was this a global search engine (like isoHunt) or did it only search SuprNova's internal database? I'm almost positive it was internal, but some other insight would be great.

Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Re: Historical BitTorrent Question

Postby Psycho Ced » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:08 pm

I'm leaning towards internal myself, but it was a while ago and I was more of a T.P.B. user back then.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Drake » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:12 pm

If I recall correctly, it only searched for torrents uploaded to Suprnova but it tracked torrents on different trackers as well as long as the torrent file was uploaded to their site.
Drake

Postby lion7718 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:16 pm

Drake wrote:If I recall correctly, it only searched for torrents uploaded to Suprnova but it tracked torrents on different trackers as well as long as the torrent file was uploaded to their site.

I'm pretty sure it only did this the last year it was running..
lion7718

Postby Psycho Ced » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:35 pm

Don't worry Tom, write whatever you want: people will be too busy grueling over the eXeem chapter to worry about fact checking this topic. :wink:
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby GrymRpr » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:45 pm

SlickTom:

You Can Find a Good Number of the Original SuprNova Crew at whats Morphed from the original SN Forums.
http://docusaur.us
M@W, DT9 And Other can Be found there.
SlyckNick: wrote:
I abhor what slonceck and suprnova have now become.

The Worst thing to happen to any O.S.?
The GUI!
GrymRpr

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:36 am

Psycho Ced wrote:Don't worry Tom, write whatever you want: people will be too busy grueling over the eXeem chapter to worry about fact checking this topic. :wink:

lol...well eXeem won't quite take up a chapter...but no BitTorrent story would be complete without at least a few paragraphs on it :D
SlyckTom

Postby multivariable » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:44 am

There's nothing wrong with writing in your book that actual reliable data is hard to come by. In fact you could probably come up with more words by focusing on the uncertainties and controversies anyway.
multivariable

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:55 am

Well right now the book is going to be about 200-250 pages. The book spends about 20 pages introducing the reader to the very early history of P2P, and how things got started. This will likely be expanded somewhat. Then I have about 25 pages that explains BitTorrent technology and history. I'm covering LokiTorrent, EliteTorrent, SuprNova, TorrentSpy, Demonoind, OiNK, BitTorrent Inc., and Comcast in the intro chapter. The next chapter (about 15 pages of history, 10 pages of "how to") covers ThePirateBay, isoHunt and MiniNova. The although the BT intro chapter is more of a historical narrative, it definitely gets into the controversies. The last chapter on BitTorrent covers uTorrent and Vuze - that's about 5 pages of history and 10-15 on "how to"....

After that I cover the newsgroups (a intro/history chapter, then a 'how to' chapter). I haven't started on the chapters after that, but the next chapters will probably be eDonkey2000/Overnet, followed by something on Gnutella (probably a 'how to on Limewire'), then a chapter that gives props to dead communities like AudioGalaxy and WinMX...and that will probably wrap things up.

(BTW, I emailed Sloncek, and SuprNova indeed had a tracker for a "brief period of time")
SlyckTom

Postby Psycho Ced » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:42 am

then a chapter that gives props to dead communities like AudioGalaxy and WinMX

Guess whose wrath you're about to incur?
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby multivariable » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:40 am

wrath schmath
multivariable

Postby Drake » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:45 am

It sounds interesting, will there be an ebook version? Will you also write about Darknets and next generation Anonymous P2P Apps?
Drake

Postby piguglyness » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:10 am

then a chapter that gives props to dead communities like AudioGalaxy and WinMX..

I'll have you know good sir that the WinMx community is alive and kicking.
BTW Will your book be available to download?
Just wondered... :lol:
piguglyness

Postby Xsoldier2000 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:12 am

...The real question is, when will there be a "leaked" version on the interwebs?

:tinfoilhat:
,.|.. ò_ó ..|.,
Xsoldier2000

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:32 am

I'm sure there will be a ebook version - one way or another ;)

well, when I write about WinMX, I intend to include a caveat that a community of users have resurrected it...but let's face facts, it's not the monolith community it used to be.
SlyckTom

Postby Zoot Cadillac » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:09 pm

I was a moderator over at Lokitorrent at the time I joined here ( it might have been at the time of the demise and I think i joined to put a few records straight ) however nothing I can say about the scumbag who ran that would get past your censors.
Zoot Cadillac

Postby CHEEZOR » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:01 pm

Ahhh... This brings back memories... Thanks. :)

Like all the rest of the people here, Im pretty sure that SN was internal and users could upload torrents from other trackers. Isnt that how mininova and other suprnova copy cats are now?

God I loved lokitorrent and ThePirateBay (Pre English translation)... TPB used to have very rare and unusual stuff... Now its more the Kazaa of the bittorrent community. :( I avoid it like the plague unless Im really desparate to find something. I think they have done more to bring in new filesharers to the bittorrent community than any other entity. (Much like Kazaa did for p2p networks.)
CHEEZOR

Postby Papa47 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:30 pm

I remember the grandfather of all bit torrent sites. Man it was a sad day when it was taken down.

It was internal. Maybe the last year or so it indexed other sites.
Bill Watkins, CEO of Seagate Technologies, on Blu-ray's meaningless victory over HD-DVD: "Blu-Ray versus HD: Well maybe Blu-Ray won, but it's a meaningless victory. ... Because guess what: People are going to download everything."
Papa47

Return to BitTorrent