Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Astraweb Upgrades Retention to 365 Days

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Astraweb Upgrades Retention to 365 Days

Postby csn21 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:57 am

Looks like GigaNews has some serious competition ;)

Retention Capacity Upgrade to 365 Days

Astraweb is pleased to announce that we have just completed an infrastructure upgrade to increase our retention storage to 365 days.

Currently our server storage capacity stands at 365 days.

Our retention is currently growing daily towards 365 days. The latest retention statistics as well as our retention capacity is available at:

http://www.news.astraweb.com/tools/stats.html

Our retention growth is for ALL groups. Our retention growth also includes headers, unlike many other services that do not include headers as part of their retention growth.

Astraweb is committed to providing the best value service!

Source: https://helpdesk.astraweb.com/index.php ... &newsid=20
csn21

Re: Astraweb Upgrades Retention to 365 Days

Postby Fartingbob » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:03 am

There still in the process of upgrading to there last announcement of 270 days! Good news, as an astraweb user. Giganews is really struggling to justify its much higher price.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby qwoo » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:57 am

pasting my comment from the XS News thread:
"Are there any statistics available on retention increase over time? It's obvious that the increase is speeding up immensely. Breaking the one year barrier is a pretty big thing. But the most interesting question is when they'll reach practically limitless retention (i.e. the point where the retention increases by at least one day per per day). At the end of this year? If not then surely some time in 2010."

Astraweb's announcements means that there are now multiple providers with retention over one year. My bet just now is that the "point of eternal retention" will be reached some time this fall. Anyone disagreeing?
qwoo

Postby Hecks » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:37 am

Posting growth stats/graph here:
http://www.slyck.com/story1831_Slyck_In ... s_Giganews

Clearly if this growth continues to be exponential, a "point of eternal retention" could never logically be reached. Instead, it's probable that as providers get closer to the 365 days mark, retention figures might actually go into reverse.
Hecks

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:37 am

qwoo: since you've said it twice now, i'm gonna comment.

i have to assume you mean "capacity" or "potential retention". unless i totally don't understand the concept, actual retention can't increase by more than one day per day without a time machine. ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby Fartingbob » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:43 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:qwoo: since you've said it twice now, i'm gonna comment.

i have to assume you mean "capacity" or "potential retention". unless i totally don't understand the concept, actual retention can't increase by more than one day per day without a time machine. ;)

You have to pay an extra $15 a month for giganews time travelling retention that adds 2 days worth of retention per day.. :lol:
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby chainmail » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:05 am

I can't recall a prior time when a newsgroup provider announced a future retention increase while still in the early stage of an ongoing retention increase.

Maybe we'll be seeing a lot more of this. There was a time when it generally took no more than a week or two for a provider to double retention. Soon it will take a year -- and no doubt a lot can happen/change in that amount of time.
chainmail

Postby BiG » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:05 am

chainmail wrote:There was a time when it generally took no more than a week or two for a provider to double retention.

Maybe years ago when they were doubling from 25 to 50 days...:lol:
BiG

Return to NewsGroups