Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Question Concerning Windows 7

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Question Concerning Windows 7

Postby Wham » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi All, I'm hopeing someone whom has a lot more knowledge than I can answere a question that has been nagging me. I am a big music fan and I love to use an old program called MusicMatch jukebox to play my tunes. I know that MusicMatch was bought out by Yahoo and then Yahoo music went by the wayside. I'm not interested in going on line with MusicMatch. I just want to play the tunes that I have and manage my library using MusicMatch. I think it was and still is a fantastic program.

I have two computers running. One with Vista and one with Windows XP. MusicMatch works great with XP but has compatibility issues with Vista. My thought is that if MusicMatch and Windows Vista don't get along I assume that Windows 7 and MusicMatch will also be incompatible. My question is has anyone tried MusicMatch on Windows 7 ?

I have not yet tried Windows 7.
Wham

Re: Question Concerning Windows 7

Postby LANjackal » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:18 pm

MS has said compatibility in Windows 7 is on par with Vista, so if MMJB doesn't work with Vista, it's unlikely to work with 7 either.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Paladwyn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Hey Lanjackal!

He shows up once in a while, that's what you get when your work doesn't let you post on Slyck :D

On topic, Musicmatch was created by Real, right?
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby multivariable » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:47 pm

I used to use MMJB all the time, then I realised that WinAmp does all I need.

Edit: Good ta see ya, Lj :)
multivariable

Postby shevaberg » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:22 pm

Once I figured out winamp can control my ipod.... without itunes... woot .... winamp is the only thing i use now... and i switch 4 people with ipods from itunes to winamp
Sarcasm...not to be used on stupid people....
shevaberg

Postby Wham » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:19 am

Thanks to all for your responses.

I don't beleive MusicMatch was made by real. As a matter of fact MusicMatch was in strong competition with Rapsody or Real. MusicMatch sold out to Yahoo and Rapsody or Real took from Yahoo when they folded their music. Microsoft also sold out to Rapsody or Real to get out of the music business. At any rate, I guess I am SOL. I'll have to stick with XP and dedicate a machine to music and a music Jukebox. Of course it will have to be unplugged from the internet or any outside interference.

Might as well disconnect now anyway. When Windows 7 comes on line, XP will get shitcanned. I Don't like winamp and never have. To each his own.

Again thanks to all for your thoughts.
Wham

Postby Paladwyn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:06 am

Hmm, I remember Musicmatch getting installed by being bundled with some program, just can't remember which one. True though, to each their own. If you like it - by all means use it, but it sucks when they discontinue support for it. I just do not know of any other jukebox type programs.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby LANjackal » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:57 pm

@ Paladwyn & mulit: Yeah, but then again if I could access Slyck from work I'd probably get nothing done and get myself fired :P. Good to see you both also :)
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby HEAT84 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:49 am

Paladwyn wrote:Hey Lanjackal!

He shows up once in a while, that's what you get when your work doesn't let you post on Slyck :D

On topic, Musicmatch was created by Real, right?

I don't think so. Real had a media player already. Why would they create another? :?

I used to use for look up tracking info and adding it to the tag, and also renaming the mp3 to my specification.

@Wham: Have you tried putting MMJB in XP compatibility mode?
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby Pebl » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:29 am

Hi Wham. I threw out MusicMatch jukebox years ago. It runs a background service that eats a HUGE amount of resources.

I'm using the free AIMP2 player these days. Very lean on resources. You might want to look into another player yourself. If you don't need webradio functionality, you might even like AIMP2. Can't beat the price :headbang:
Pebl

Postby Psisquared » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:05 am

I'm a Foobar2000 user myself.
The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog.
Psisquared

Location: Impossible to ascertain due to uncertainty principle

Postby mrainbo335 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:27 am

Is it too late to resurrect Wham's original concern from the line that has diluted the matter so??

I leapfrogged over Vista from the XP where my vintage 7.5 MusicMatch thrived as long as I kept SP 3 uninstalled and kept IE 6 from being upgraded while I enjoyed Firefox as my main browser. I was concerned like Wham as to how it would transfer to Windows 7 (and be reassured Wham that true MusicMatch fans consider the fine program first over any OS that might or might not house it). Well, you have to plow through the 'incompatibility' flag you'll likely get when first installing just to install it anyway. I had no basic problem getting it up regardless of the lack of official support, but on my well-set brand new Studio XPS 8000 with Windows 7 Ultimate there has been for me an annoying side effect, one that I'm here to announce in hope that someone knows how to deal with it.

I upgraded my video card with a hope to correct it, but there is an odd lingering fringe fade that happens (a fade of the edges) that re-occurs when switching with clicks to different parts of the program interface. When I am ready just to listen and maybe have the media screen set to flash my customized song-to-picture photos, I have to click on the central main frame just to restore the solid look of the program. Mind you, I'll keep Musicmatch as long as no other program holds and displays all of the orderings, encoded notes, and photos; nevertheless, it would be great news if we could find a way to make MusicMatch perfectly stable on Windows 7, admittedly still in its beta phase.
mrainbo335

Postby HEAT84 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:48 am

It sounds like MMJB is having problems with Aero(or Vice-versa). Did you try the settings on the compatibility tab for MMJB.exe? You can adjust the Aero settings here. But adjusting settings there affects all programs.

You could also install Windows 98 or XP on a virtual machine and run MMJB in that.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Return to Tech/Software Discussion