Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

eD2k has the largest file collection?

Discussion about the eDonkey program and both the eDonkey2000 network and the Overnet Network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Re: eD2k has the largest file collection?

Postby rsrikanth05 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:13 am

Anyone has any idea why eDonkey takes me twice the amount of time that BitTorrent takes for downloading a file these days?
rsrikanth05

Postby Ratt » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:03 pm

"These days"? Torrents have always been faster than Emule, right from the start. Torrents are designed for speed, the eD2K network is (as the title of this thread suggests) geared towards file availability and file longevity.
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby zbeast » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:55 pm

Network with the most file's is emule...
Network with the most large files bitorrent

File transfer in order of speed as I see it on my network..

Usenet - Fast dam fast 4mb down if your willing to pay for that level of service from your usenet provider.
Bitorrent Speeds as high at 700kb... but that was only available on my work network where I has access to an oc3.
Emule - slow but steady - for most files speed only has high as 45kb... Ive gotten speeds as high as 300k but that's rare!

limewire and othere's are more or less at the same speed as emule.

Your results may vary. note how fast your computer is can effect your up and download speeds.
I also found that using a computer that has an accelerated network adapter can improve transfer speeds.

One of the thing's that works against emule and limewire is Nat's... All of the ISP's out there want to give consumers
nat'ed network connections because of this is created islands of poor connectivity.
So two nat'ed clients can't directly communicate with each other also dealing with nat's add's extra overhead to
the peer connections.
Read more here... look under the section titled "Low ID".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMule

I don't care how long it takes to download a file.. I have a detacated machine that does nothing but download files for me.
So i'll just log into it select a file for download and have it email me when it get's new files..

Remember a watched pot never boils. if you want instant gratification, there's always netflix, amazon.com, or Itunes.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby rsrikanth05 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:20 am

Ratt wrote:"These days"? Torrents have always been faster than Emule, right from the start. Torrents are designed for speed, the eD2K network is (as the title of this thread suggests) geared towards file availability and file longevity.

When I joined Slyck, Gnutella was the best, then I discovered the amount of data on ed2k, so I switched over, and NOW.... for about a year and a half.... I find BT muuuuuch faster than ed2k.
rsrikanth05

Postby qm2003 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:23 am

This is so pointless.

You use whatever you have to in order to get what you want.

Speed is just the cherry on the pie. :mrgreen:
How to setup Emule. A small checklist Schmu's MuleDoc
P2P is not piracy, it's marketing. In fact, if your music or movie is NOT being downloaded, you should be WORRIED !
If you can't even give it away for free, how do you expect to sell it, stupid ?
qm2003

Previous

Return to eDonkey2000 / Overnet