Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

How to edit a torrent for Port change

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

How to edit a torrent for Port change

Postby loninappleton » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:42 pm

One of the torrent sites changes ports frequently. I believe this has slowed down my torrents or blocked them from being seeded by me. This is indicated by a 'seeding' notice but the leech doesn't pick up or stay connected.

I have not seen anywhere in Azureus where a torrent created with a given port can be changed to make the port assignment current.

What can be done about this? The torrent program I'm using is Azureus Vuze 4.0.0.4
loninappleton

Re: How to edit a torrent for Port change

Postby velatire » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:30 pm

In the tracker announce URL, add the port. As in www.thepiratebay.org:5238/announce

I think..
velatire

Postby loninappleton » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:47 pm

Well I looked under all the tabs and stuff and in the Advanced screen of details the highlighted (as in a URL) address
does not open or allow for a change that is what is holding things back.
loninappleton

Postby velatire » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:06 am

In utorrent, you double click on a torrent in the list and options to edit trackers (among other things) pop up.
velatire

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:11 am

There's a feature in Vuze called "export XML torrent" - that feature is used to convert a torrent file to an XML file. You can then edit the XML torrent - but that's about all I know about the feature.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby loninappleton » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:29 pm

I should move to utorrent and I have the info on how to move the torrent content to it.

That raises another question: If I move the torrent content successfully, will they and the directory containing the content be copied from Vuze or moved and would Vuze be unusable if the procedure goes badly?

A utorrent user could hopefully answer this.

To the original question, most of my torrents which I seed seem to be immune to port change. There are ones that get action every day and others with less leeches that seem to be stuck. However, I do not throttle torrents. It's first come first served with emphasis on my own seeds rather than the big ones going around.
loninappleton

Postby Hypnotoad » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:59 pm

loninappleton wrote:That raises another question: If I move the torrent content successfully, will they and the directory containing the content be copied from Vuze or moved and would Vuze be unusable if the procedure goes badly?

Just copy the content from Vuze to Utorrent. This way if Utorrent goes wrong you can still continue with Vuze.
Hypnotoad

Postby loninappleton » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:49 pm

With small HD's like 100G It's not possible (let alone practical) to duplicate a big mass of content.

Can the utorrent just accept copies of the torrents in the Vuze folder and look for the content in the original Vuze folder?

The wrinkle here is that the Azureus downloads folder which has both content and torrent files is a shared folder in Win XP
and Win2k (I have both OS'es running on my home net.)
loninappleton

Postby velatire » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:21 pm

How does Vuze handle incompletes? µTorrent creates the files and fills them in piece by piece

If you use the same torrent file, point utorrent to the same folder and try to force a re-check....
velatire

Postby loninappleton » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:01 pm

Ok thanks. I have to get out my sheet, but the forced recheck sounds familiar.

As I recall forced recheck will locate the content and the progress percentage will fill up rapidly at the
entry.

I will report back when I have done the recommended procedure from uTorrent and see if there are any glitches==
* after * I do a full HD backup

;-)
loninappleton

Postby loninappleton » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:04 pm

Something is wrong yet in utorrent.

No forced recheck has not occurred and the torrent is just out there starting from scratch. I have only done this with one torrent.

Please give detailed instructions-- no shorthand.
loninappleton

Postby scubascythan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:08 pm

One of the torrent sites changes ports frequently. I believe this has slowed down my torrents or blocked them from being seeded by me. This is indicated by a 'seeding' notice but the leech doesn't pick up or stay connected.

I have not seen anywhere in Azureus where a torrent created with a given port can be changed to make the port assignment current.

What can be done about this? The torrent program I'm using is Azureus Vuze 4.0.0.4

Vuze is a POS and so is your torrent site if they need to change ports for either security reasons (fail, changing ports doesn't prevent anything) or cause their server sucks so they move around ports to decrease the load of connections.
scubascythan

Postby loninappleton » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:01 pm

My seeds are posted at Demonoid. They change the port assignment just about every month.

Vuze may be a POS but it is the one I've had some success in setting up. Once they told me how to
go to advanced mode and never look at the advertising or 'dashboard' and the rest of the garbage, I never went there again:
I keep on the data page -- the transfer window --only.

uTorrent has not succumbed to these commercial tweaks (yet) but I have not successfully migrated anything to it.
loninappleton

Return to BitTorrent