Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Verified Failed With Quickpar

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Verified Failed With Quickpar

Postby keypox » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:07 pm

It seems to be happening everytime now! I have been able to get it to work by restarting then trying. I have tested my memory with vistas memory test at boot. With no errors yet I get errors with the http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ windows based memtest (which i doubt works).

Anyways I have no other problems with memory maybe it is the memory but i have had this setup for about a year with no problems. Never had problems with quickpar till yesterday.

Anyone know how to fix this?
keypox

Re: Verified Failed With Quickpar

Postby velatire » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:00 pm

Run chkdsk to make sure you don't have bad hdd sectors, and try taking out all but 1 stick of ram.
velatire

Postby chainmail » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:01 pm

Memory can't be thoroughly and accurately tested by running an application while inside Windows. This is why all legitimate memory testing routines work in a standalone environment (either during the pre-Windows bootup phase or when booted directly from a CD or floppy.)

When people talk about running "Memtest", they're talking about Memtest86 specifically, which is a bootdisk program written in low-level assembler language. Be aware that there are other, unrelated commercial applications that use the name "Memtest" as well, probably to confuse unfamiliar users. (and entice them to pay for the "PRO" version)

Try using the "real" Memtest.

www.memtest.org

If you are downloaded files composed of multiple rars, comparing the number of bytes in each rar file will usually indicate if there are any incompletes, since all but the last rar of the set should have the same filesize. If Winrar (or other archive app) can successfully recombine the split rar files, then QuickPar is not even needed. (In rare cases, Winrar can even repair damaged archives itself.) SFV checks can sometimes report a false-positive failure, which can sometimes happen if 2 CDs are combined into a single NZB/download folder and there are duplicate filenames involved.
chainmail

Postby keypox » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:39 pm

fischju wrote:Run chkdsk to make sure you don't have bad hdd sectors, and try taking out all but 1 stick of ram.

yeah :( i was planning on doing this just hoped that there was another solution. Chkdsk has no errors.

Also i ran memtest with no errors as well as vistas memory test (which is run before windows boots).
keypox

Return to NewsGroups