Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Newer seed but give the hole file anyway.. can it be done?

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Newer seed but give the hole file anyway.. can it be done?

Postby old shoo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:28 am

If a bittorent client that are “MPAA smart” in that sense that it never shows that it have 100% of the file, wouldent that save many from being sued?
Imagine a client that dl the file as normal but when it reaches say 90% the client goes in “special mode” and only report that I has 90% of the file, but that it has those parts that are most reare in the swarm (well in the limited scope of known peers any way). In that way you never become a seeder in normal sens and the MPAA and those alike have harder to show you actually hade the file. And in the client there are a block to send more than 90% of the file to one single user (not applied when there are fewer clients then say 3..).

“I would like tho thave the file but I never got the hole thing so I cant verify that it wasn’t a fake…”

The other alternative it that after 90% the client switches to TOR and finishing the dl and seeding process there. But I think that’s not good then somebody elses ip are responsible for seeding...

Some clever comment please..? and if some programming guru would like the idee please send me a copy of the program…
old shoo

Re: Newer seed but give the hole file anyway.. can it be done?

Postby Fartingbob » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:37 am

You would still get an extortion letter. And if your only defence was "i didnt finish downloading it" (something you'd have no proof of if it mattered) then dont expect to win. You would still have been distributing a copyrighted piece of work without permission.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby boneface » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:54 am

tbh i don't think they care if you did download it, the fact you're using BitTorrent means you're Criminal/Terrorist scum anyway!
and since when do they need proof? unless you're willing to remortgage your home to pay for your defense.
boneface

Postby old shoo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:03 am

But ”they” have to proof that it was a “copyrighted piece of work” and that my copy are the same as they claiming it to bee. I cant proof that it wasn’t. I only hade 90% but they cant proof that it was either. :tinfoilhat: That must claim reason of doubt and that is a good thing In my world.. (I love Europe)..
old shoo

Postby zbeast » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:14 am

I know this one for a fact.. I tried to download something from Irc..
I connected to the file the download never finished..
I abandoned the download and few weeks later my ISP forward a email to me of a baaaa, baaaa, baaaa notice.

The person who was doing the tracking was "The web Sheriff.." Ya that bunch of yahoo's.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby Paladwyn » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:29 am

All they really need to know is that the file you were downloading was an actual file, then if you connect to it in a swarm...you are downloading copyrighted material, as they already know that certain file is copyrighted. Then you wouldn't NEED to have the whole file for them to prove it.

Not to mention the fact that you are even attempting to download a copyrighted work...shows intent. I doubt anybody would get away with "I was accidentally downloading 'Ironman', I didn't realize I clicked on the torrent index file, and ran it...and downloaded it".

HOWEVER...just because your CONNECTION was used to download a file..doesn't necessarily mean that it was YOU personally who did it. That would be something they need to prove.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:31 pm

i don't know what exactly the laws say where you are - but in the US, the laws specifically prohibit unauthorized distribution of PART of a copyrighted work. the excuse that "i only had 90% of it" would not help you here. i suggest you do some research into your own local laws, and don't be surprised if they say the same thing.
MrFredPFL

Return to BitTorrent