Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Megabitz.net

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Re: Megabitz.net

Postby bliss » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:47 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:this is sad. once upon a time, it seemed like megabitz' attention to customer service was second to none. but it also seems like those days are in the past :(

I agree. If i haven't heard from them by the weekend or there is no sign of this problem being fixed i'm going to be cancelling my accoutn and taking a look at astraweb.
bliss

Postby Anon_ » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:45 pm

bliss wrote:Can't say i've noticed that anon. I downloaded something that was a few hours old today and it fluctuated between 40-400kb/s. I've noticed that it seems to be caused by my connections to the server (i use 4) just hanging, and sometimes they disconnect from the server and try again.

I'm using more than 4 connections. The bandwidth totals I've listed above are total aggregate bandwidth of 8x connections in use.

Connections are stalling less frequently when downloading at 30 days or under 1 day. However, the connections that aren't stalling are supplying enough bandwidth to max my ISP connection. This is what I meant by speed is not a problem. It is relative to the max bandwidth I can download at. It may be entirely possible that someone with a 10Mbit or 15Mbit connection etc could not be reaching max speed of their line. I would not know.
Anon_

Postby bliss » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:02 pm

I'm guessing you're on a different package to me. Mines the $14 with 5 connections max. I used to hit 1.2mb/s, but not anymore. Attempting to download now with 5 connections instead of 4 but it isn't helping one bit. Every now and then it starts to rise to about 900kb/s but as soon as it peaks it drops straight back down again to 400kb/s or lower. :(

Still no reply from support btw, and the 'No reported problems' message on the front page of the website is really starting to bug me.
bliss

Postby chainmail » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:36 am

I've had similar problems in the past getting random and severe incompletes in which 15 MB parts all come in at completely random sizes. (this is why I try to check on the files after downloading the first 2 or 3 to see if the batch is good before I commit to a big [wasted] download.) I found 2 solutions that always worked:

1. Use only one connection.

2. Use another newsclient.

I've only had this problem on Alt.binz and Grabit, but those I used the most by far. Switching to another client always solved the problem. It's a strange bug because although the problem lies with the news server, it seems only certain newsreaders are affected by it at any given time. Since I usually have NZB Player installed on every PC I use, I just download the same NZB over again using it, and NZB Player has never suffered that randon-incomplete problem.

I've also had similar problems with low speed/ erratic speed SSL connections, I suspect probably due to server overload. Using a LOT of connections was a solution, but a high number of connections also tended to increase the risk of the first problem of random incompletes, as did SSL.
chainmail

Postby fernandose » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:41 am

I completely agree. There are so many usenet providers out there, big name ones and independent ones, then why stick with a provider that won't communicate with its customers and fail to fix an on-going problem.
I think (but will double check) megabitz is a highwinds reseller, but their frontend server is privately owned, which could be where the problems are.
Anyways hope this gets sorted out for everyone. (Didn't know there were so many megabitz customers)
fernandose

Postby Anon_ » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:18 pm

Well they fixed the speed issues, but now 0day posts are all downloading corrupted.

It's like they swapped out a bad piece of network hardware sunday, then just went ahead and put the bad hardware back in today to fix the speed problems.
Anon_

Postby bliss » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:45 pm

Now that is strange. All 0 day posts are fine for me yet my speed is still all over the place and less than half of what i usually get. They really need to update that damn 'no reported problems' message! :twisted:
bliss

Broken Clock

Postby chainmail » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:00 pm

Like a broken clock that's accurate twice a day, Megabitz website's front-page, with its "October Special", will appear to be current again in two weeks. :lol:
chainmail

Re: Broken Clock

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:06 pm

chainmail wrote:Like a broken clock that's accurate twice a day, Megabitz website's front-page, with its "October Special", will appear to be current again in two weeks. :lol:

:lookup:
MrFredPFL

Postby Kenrin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:58 am

I'm maxing my 25 megabit connection, downloads are fine so far. Although i'm not downloading anything past 30 days old.

The reason I stick with megabitz is because they are way better than newshosting that used to have outages weekly and lots of problems when I used them. I went to powerusenet they were great but never kept up with retention / price. One or two problems in the 1+ year i've used megabitz isn't enough to switch.

What other providers are there in the same price range fernandose? I can only think of astraweb and usenetserver, I might switch over to astra if their retention keeps increasing :wink:
Kenrin

Postby mcorleone » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:18 am

i've had megabitz for the past year, and for the most part, it has not caused me major problems. there were always enough par2 files to complete my downloads.

now i cannot download a thing. any files that are less than a few days old have about 20% corrupted blocks. of course there are not enough par2 files to make up for this.

i want out now. problem is i still have 2 months left on my 3 month period. anybody know if they'll provide a partial refund?
mcorleone

Postby chainmail » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:22 am

mcorleone wrote: i want out now. problem is i still have 2 months left on my 3 month period. anybody know if they'll provide a partial refund?

The way things are going - don't be surprised if your subscription runs out before you get an answer from them. ;)

If customer satisfaction means anything to them, they need to give people extra days for free, to make up for all the down-time.
chainmail

Postby bliss » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:06 pm

Speed still crap here. Having to leech from my ISP NNTP at the same time to max out my 10mb line. And i'm getting better speed from my ISP then from a pay for NNTP which is a joke. 800kb/s and 300kb/s

Seems most of you guys are on the block accounts and you seem to be having more luck. Goin to cancel my account soon and move to AstraWeb.

Bye bye Megabitz. :evil:
bliss

Postby mcorleone » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:42 pm

chainmail wrote:The way things are going - don't be surprised if your subscription runs out before you get an answer from them. ;)

may have to just eat the loss and move on and as far away from this service as possible

bliss wrote:Goin to cancel my account soon and move to AstraWeb.

I am with you. Astraweb still has the kleverig promotion going so it may be a good time to split. not sure how much time you still have left on your megabitz subscription, but at this point, it is completely worthless.
mcorleone

Postby Anon_ » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:34 am

mcorleone wrote:
bliss wrote:Goin to cancel my account soon and move to AstraWeb.

I am with you. Astraweb still has the kleverig promotion going so it may be a good time to split. not sure how much time you still have left on your megabitz subscription, but at this point, it is completely worthless.

Already signed up for kleverig promotion with Astraweb a few days back, canceled subscription with Megabitz.

Megabitz after Aug 07, without a doubt has offered quite possibly the worst customer service and tech support that I have ever had the displeasure of encountering. They do not reply to tech support emails. The only email I received from Megabitz in the past year were monthly billing receipts and credit for four days total for service interruptions back in January and August. It is really sad to see them spiral out of control. I suspect that some of their IT staff may have had a falling out with the ownership and left within the past 12 months. Either that or the IT staff / owner just didn't care to stay on top of the business.
Last edited by Anon_ on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anon_

Postby Anon_ » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:43 am

chainmail wrote:
mcorleone wrote: i want out now. problem is i still have 2 months left on my 3 month period. anybody know if they'll provide a partial refund?

The way things are going - don't be surprised if your subscription runs out before you get an answer from them. ;)

If customer satisfaction means anything to them, they need to give people extra days for free, to make up for all the down-time.

The last interruption of service was less than 45 days ago, when similar problems were reported with speed and corruption. The problems lasted for around 5-7 days, and they only gave two days of free service in response after service was fixed. As for more recently, issues started to appear 10 days ago, and were present a week later. As in August, email inquiries were ignored from tech support at Megabitz. They are no longer stable and should not be trusted. For myself, it makes no sense to hand money to a business that will take your money, but not respond or fairly compensate a customer when services are interrupted.
Anon_

Postby bliss » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:51 am

I agree Anon_. I've sent 5 messages now in the space of a week and not one has been responded to.

Not sure about the block accounts but on the unlimited ones you can cancel your account whenever you want with the simple click of a button. :D
bliss

Postby mcorleone » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:11 pm

yes. i've just canceled mine. problem is that the cancellation won't go into effect until the next billing cycle, which is in two months. i guess i will have to suck up the loss.

just signed up for astraweb as well. so far so good. finally able to download HD movies without corruption - including files over 100 days old! it's very fast as well - one connection already maxes out my bandwidth (800-900 KB/s). hopefully astraweb will withstand the test of time.
mcorleone

Postby chainmail » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:31 pm

mcorleone wrote: yes. i've just canceled mine. problem is that the cancellation won't go into effect until the next billing cycle, which is in two months. i guess i will have to suck up the loss.

Or you could sell or share your account for the remaining 2 months until it expires. :)

Just make sure they don't store your credit card info.

mcorleone wrote:just signed up for astraweb as well. hopefully astraweb will withstand the test of time.

Astraweb has been around for a long time, and has a big investment in facilities and equipment and that makes them unlikely to just go *poof* one day. Which, I hate to say, more than a few resellers have done.
chainmail

Postby chainmail » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:42 pm

I noticed that their website has been updated and now mentions the speed problem.

It's been another week gone by, has Megabitz ever responded yet to your emails?
chainmail

Postby bliss » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:38 am

They never responded to mine. But i don't care. Cancelled my account and signed up to Astraweb. Now back to full speed. :D
bliss

Previous

Return to NewsGroups