Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Really really cheap server

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Really really cheap server

Postby napho » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:27 pm

6MB speed, unlimited, 140 days retention, but only usable 14 hours a day.(Daytime package) Costs $60 for 2 years. :D Very unusual. I wonder if they accept international customers.

Subscriptions:Totally:Maandprijs: Your discount:
30 days € 3.00 € 3.00 n.v.t.
Kwartaal* € 7.50 € 2.50 16,67%
Half Jaar* € 12.50 € 2.08 31.67%
1 Jaar* € 22.85 € 1.90 36,67%
2 Jaar* € 40.64 € 1.69 43,67%

http://4usenet.nl/index.php?option=com_ ... &Itemid=53
napho

Re: Really really cheap server

Postby chainmail » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:16 am

This is a fantastic idea, and I wonder why more usenet service providers don't try something like this to balance out usage. I'm sure most news servers get swamped with traffic in the evening hours but remain largely unused the rest of the day.

Any traffic during off-peak hours costs the providers essentially nothing because their equipment is just sitting there unused. Here's a situation that lets service providers add more users without having to buy extra equipment or rent more lines.

For Amsterdam servers like this one, the access hours work out to be an especially convenient time for North Americans who live in the Pacific or Alaska time zones - people who would probably be at home downloading during those evening hours anyway.

Anchordudes has suggested pinging Dutch news servers before buying service, as some of them have historically been blocked from certain non-NL IP addresses - Hitnews being the most recent example. Since this site is in only Dutch, we can only assume that they have not intended the service for international customers.

Any American Slyck readers who speak Dutch?
chainmail

Postby napho » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:46 am

Looks like the order area is multi-language. http://4usenet.nl/amember/signup.php?price_group=-40
A great deal for Americans, with the US$ strengthening against the Euro lately. $2.40/month
napho

Postby lisaslickza » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:17 am

hmm interesting
hi napho
lisaslickza

Postby chainmail » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:26 pm

I'm tempted to sign up for this 'unlimited' service even though I'm generally a light user, and nursing off two block accounts right now (usenet-news and Astraweb)

Combine it with a non-expiring block account for tackling the occasional off-board hours, and a full year of (virtually) unlimited service only costs the price of one or two months of Giganews.

Most binary newsgrabbers allow you to schedule download times, so for people (Europeans especially) not living the ideal time zones who don't mind waiting until the next day, it shouldn't be a problem for anyone but the very impatient. (As an old eDonkey user, I'm used to waiting a week or more to complete rare files)

And if they allow account sharing, that would really be something.
chainmail

Postby B-Fir3 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:30 pm

Has anyone here tried their service? How reliable has it been? I'm very interested in this as it is so cheap!
B-Fir3

Postby baywood » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:10 am

My ISP dropped newsgroup access so I gave these guys a try for a couple of months ($4.67mo "daytime" - 6pm-8am here) until I got a new ISP. While I was seeing some connection errors and missing parts (possibly related), I had no trouble downloading an average of 2-3GB/day. I only have a 1.5Mb connection and I didn't try to download any old stuff.
baywood

Postby tera7 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:31 am

I think that limits with my downloads is not a preferable situation 8)
tera7

Return to NewsGroups