Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

How Can I Join Some FTP Sites?

Discuss all other networks not listed
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

How Can I Join Some FTP Sites?

Postby NuttBoxer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:27 am

I downloaded an FTP client, and have found several FTP URL's that claim to have the files I'm interested in sharing, but I have no idea how to join any of these servers. The anonymous login does not work for any of them, and I have no idea how to request a username and password so I can sign in. Every time I try to connect to one of these servers I get a message saying my connection was closed my the remote host.

So to summarize, I have no idea how to FTP on a secure server that requires a username and password, or where to request this information so I can access the server. Any information is greatly appreciated.
NuttBoxer

Re: How Can I Join Some FTP Sites?

Postby chainmail » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:32 pm

Is there a particular reason why you want to use FTP over other sources of files?

I've noticed that public FTP servers have declined much over the last several years. First P2P took away a huge chunk of their market, then Rapidshare and NZBs ate into what was left.

A lot of FTP servers change their logins frequently, and that's probably why you could not get in. Most FTPs are private or semi-private communities and they don't appreciate their logins getting posted virally all over the internet.

To get invited into good FTP sites, it helps to hang out in chat channels.
chainmail

Postby NuttBoxer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback. My interest in FTP is mostly curiosity to try a different way of file sharing. I've been using Torrents for a while and just wanted to see what else was out there. Since I'm more of a grab and go user, FTP does not sound like a good alternative. Again, thanks for the help.
NuttBoxer

Postby ntscuser » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:57 pm

NuttBoxer wrote:Thanks for the feedback. My interest in FTP is mostly curiosity to try a different way of file sharing. I've been using Torrents for a while and just wanted to see what else was out there. Since I'm more of a grab and go user, FTP does not sound like a good alternative. Again, thanks for the help.
It sounds as if Usenet is best-suited to the way you prefer to download. Forget about apps like eMule or IRC if you don't like being kept hanging around for ages.

What's disappointing about FTP (when you finally manage to get into a site) is finding the files there aren't quite as good as the files you've already got or even that most of them came from you in the first place via some other file-sharing app.
ntscuser

Return to Others