Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

What's going on with private trackers?

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

What's going on with private trackers?

Postby loninappleton » Fri May 23, 2008 1:56 pm

I see a lot of private trackers.

What's the risk of MPAA Trappers setting up shop as a trojan horse for torrent users?

Any list of safe private sites?

I prefer not to use them at all. Plus I think some of their info is old.

But some content doesn't seem to be available anywhere else.
loninappleton

Re: What's going on with private trackers?

Postby Golgo1 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:58 pm

This has been discussed quite a bit here.
Being private doesnt make it any less difficult (or easy) for *AA to track you/ get ip info etc

The whole point of being private is it creates a community able to police itself. that means trojans, or fake torrents, or whatever will get spotted very quickly and removed, and the user can be axed.

'Private' leads alot of people to wrongly believe there is no way any *AA can get in and find out what goes on inside the site. That is just ridiculous.
But for file 'safety', private is certainly the way to go.
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby Golgo1 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:59 pm

Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby LANjackal » Fri May 23, 2008 9:02 pm

Yeah dude just look through the threads in the BitTorrent section. This topic has been beaten to death over the past couple years, though I think since OiNK got hit the general consensus is that:

1 - Private trackers themselves aren't safe from being shut down (obviously)

BUT

2 - Well managed private sites can not only survive a shut down but also protect their userbase from enforcement action from said shutdown

HOWEVER

3 - There's nothing stopping a mole in a private site from collecting peer IP addresses in torrent swarms

As with all things filesharing, you take your chances. How much risk you're willing to take varies from user to user.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby loninappleton » Sat May 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Yes, I know the topic isn't very fresh. I try to stay public and keep things going as long as I can
in the available space.

Also way back when I think I got directed to a source for <......> that was no pay.

Can someone repost that?

When reinstalling I may have lost it. Odd thing is I was sure I had it on removable media.
loninappleton

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat May 24, 2008 4:28 pm

is that a warez request, lon?
MrFredPFL

Postby loninappleton » Sat May 24, 2008 10:07 pm

For get it.

I do not wish to make trouble.
loninappleton

Postby Your_Mentor » Sat May 24, 2008 10:32 pm

LANjackal wrote:Yeah dude just look through the threads in the BitTorrent section. This topic has been beaten to death over the past couple years, though I think since OiNK got hit the general consensus is that:

1 - Private trackers themselves aren't safe from being shut down (obviously)

BUT

2 - Well managed private sites can not only survive a shut down but also protect their userbase from enforcement action from said shutdown

HOWEVER

3 - There's nothing stopping a mole in a private site from collecting peer IP addresses in torrent swarms

As with all things filesharing, you take your chances. How much risk you're willing to take varies from user to user.

No one has been prosecuted on oink but the admin which im not sure how the case is going since they kept delaying a lot of things.. Probably cause they cant find any information on what law he broke. Only ones that have face serious consequences was some STAR wars fans leaking a workprint 24 hours on elite.. which they havent prosecuted the 1000's of seeders or the 100,000 plus site users. All and all if you read the forums, how many private site folks got DMCA letters or sued by the mpaa/riaa. I can scroll through each p2p forum on here and see users who registered to get insight on why they are being investigated and what each ISP letter means when they infringe on some studios work. A mole cant get access to .01 percent of users. Ip's change from day to day, some users dont download popular torrents or will only seed to so many connected users, and some users are firewalled so you wont connect to them at all, then having to figure out which IP goes to which user name and start logging time/date file, and then finding them again on other torrents would be too time consuming, especially when only ONE IP can be logged into a handle while using a torrent, multiple IPS on different torrents would get a user banned. Or raise a flag.

So far the only thing i can tell is people got pissed at oink admins and so many insiders in the music biz used the site and was getting soo much cover that its hard to hide. Especially when you get mentioned in rolling stones, splender magazine as well as on TV. They had media defender in there but they had no chance in logging or doing most of anything, just logging what was leaked and trying to create a fake file for other torrent sites to discourage others.

I take my chances with a mole in private site of 50,000 users then a MPAA anti piracy group with a super network of computer run by a 1000 bots to exploit a file into being a fake and logging my ip address time and time again while spending 16-40 hours straight in downloading a dvd5 at 25kb a second from an ass who dont have 2mb pipe line. =)
Your_Mentor

Postby loninappleton » Sat May 24, 2008 11:43 pm

Smile when you say 25kb.

8)

Where I am up speed is throttled at about 40.

I don't know how to join private trackers. I'd let it go but there's some stuff I want not available other ways.
loninappleton

Postby LANjackal » Sun May 25, 2008 3:20 am

@ YM: There's nothing more to say on that subject that hasn't already been said ...

loninappleton wrote:I don't know how to join private trackers
Most of them have a link that says Login/Signup/Register on their front page. However most of them also require invites, which can take some doing to obtain depending on the tracker. Good luck.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Segadora_Severa » Sun May 25, 2008 2:12 pm

loninappleton wrote:Smile when you say 25kb.

8)

Where I am up speed is throttled at about 40.

I don't know how to join private trackers. I'd let it go but there's some stuff I want not available other ways.

Demonoid has open registrations last time I looked. It is done every now and then. It is the premier site in my opinion.

:toast:
Censorship reflects a society’s lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime . . . ”
—Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart
Segadora_Severa

Postby loninappleton » Sun May 25, 2008 2:44 pm

I've been on Demonoid but prefer mininova. They monitor all the bad d/l/s and point the user to the
real deal.
loninappleton

Postby thunderstick » Sun May 25, 2008 10:51 pm

Segadora_Severa wrote:Demonoid has open registrations last time I looked. It is done every now and then. It is the premier site in my opinion.

Agreed. As far as a generally everything torrent site, Demonoid is hands down the best.
thunderstick

Postby loninappleton » Sun May 25, 2008 11:02 pm

thunderstick wrote:
Segadora_Severa wrote:Demonoid has open registrations last time I looked. It is done every now and then. It is the premier site in my opinion.

Agreed. As far as a generally everything torrent site, Demonoid is hands down the best.

It recently had a long period of being down.

For content out of the mainstream, right below mininova on my browser is One Big Torrent (OBT)

I had a Demonoid reg. Not sure what its status is since they are back on.
loninappleton

Postby Segadora_Severa » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:58 am

loninappleton wrote:
thunderstick wrote:

It recently had a long period of being down.

For content out of the mainstream, right below mininova on my browser is One Big Torrent (OBT)

I had a Demonoid reg. Not sure what its status is since they are back on.

It should be the same as before they went down. Firefox browser had my user name and password stored, so when I
heard the site was back up I hit my book mark and Viola!!! Just like it had never been gone.

Censorship reflects a society’s lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime . . . ”
Segadora_Severa

Postby loninappleton » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:03 pm

I may have something to put on there.

This ]is a question I'm not good at framing:

I have an avi file. I have a subtitle file that goes with it I had to find separately.

Both play together in VLC ok.

What are my options for making the object file smaller? Does this have to be done with the
the subtitles? Or can I make the new avi and bundle it in a folder with the original subtitle file
and the standard demonoid text announcement?

I have used AVI recomp open source free prog. for shrinking files I figured were too big.

Can DVD Shrink do this?

What is the best procedure?
loninappleton

Postby Segadora_Severa » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:25 pm

loninappleton wrote:I may have something to put on there.

This ]is a question I'm not good at framing:

I have an avi file. I have a subtitle file that goes with it I had to find separately.

Both play together in VLC ok.

What are my options for making the object file smaller? Does this have to be done with the
the subtitles? Or can I make the new avi and bundle it in a folder with the original subtitle file
and the standard demonoid text announcement?

I have used AVI recomp open source free prog. for shrinking files I figured were too big.

Can DVD Shrink do this?

What is the best procedure?

If the file is an .avi file, more than likely it is already compressed. There are utilities to change format of files and such
and to compress.
What I have found is, it varys from each file, but if it is already a compressed .avi file any farther compression to it will
degrade the quality. If you need to put it on Demonoid, just include the subtitles with the .avi file. More than likely if you
re encode the file somehow with the subtitles it will take a lot of time and possibly a poor quality file for the outcome.
Just my 2 cents.

Segadora_Severa

Postby James R. Bath » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 pm

Hopefully, what's going on is their death. Anything you can find on them you can find publicly. Rarely, you have to wait a day more, but unless you need bragging rights, that really doesn't matter.

Somebody mentioned that private trackers that are traps/honeypots will not making it any easier to identify you. That's BS.

It let's them identify you via whenever you login via your browser and the torrent tracker itself let's it identify you. It identifies what torrents you search for and DL on the site. You get identified the moment you complete the DL within the client. So, unless you're transferring from 2 different IPs, one for your browsing and one for your torrent program, you've basically allowed them to prove your DL was not an accident. That you searched it out on their site and then DL'd it completely and shared it. All they have with public trackers is the IPs that seed, but they can't prove that any of them were intentional.

If you're an uploader, private trackers can screw you even further. Avoid completely.
Get shades and bunnies and a faster, smaller, more secure eMule: eMule beba
James R. Bath

Postby loninappleton » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:55 pm

A good and thoughtful response.

I have not liked the idea of it mor registered with any and it goes against the spirit of the torrent community.

So why, if you have the info, is there a form of 'friend' sharing now as part of
VUZE (formerly Azureus?) it appears to be a way of doing individual to individual
sharing like the old days. That just created a bunch of abuse by leechers.

tx
loninappleton

Postby qshusto » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:51 am

Private Trackers have now become no more than pretentious 'vanity groups'. Some went down a very nasty path, with their Administrators accused of stealing money from members' donations and handing out all their user base details at the slightest pressure from the authorities. There's absolutely nothing indexed by so-called "trackers" that you can't find elsewhere (for starters, they aren't the originators of the files). They only serve their manipulative cliques and a bunch of delusional users, with a false sense of 'added value'. Keep it simple, be free, stay clear of self-proclaimed 'elite' sites.
qshusto

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:21 pm

James R. Bath wrote:Hopefully, what's going on is their death. Anything you can find on them you can find publicly. Rarely, you have to wait a day more, but unless you need bragging rights, that really doesn't matter.

Somebody mentioned that private trackers that are traps/honeypots will not making it any easier to identify you. That's BS.

It let's them identify you via whenever you login via your browser and the torrent tracker itself let's it identify you. It identifies what torrents you search for and DL on the site. You get identified the moment you complete the DL within the client. So, unless you're transferring from 2 different IPs, one for your browsing and one for your torrent program, you've basically allowed them to prove your DL was not an accident. That you searched it out on their site and then DL'd it completely and shared it. All they have with public trackers is the IPs that seed, but they can't prove that any of them were intentional.

If you're an uploader, private trackers can screw you even further. Avoid completely.

qshusto wrote:Private Trackers have now become no more than pretentious 'vanity groups'. Some went down a very nasty path, with their Administrators accused of stealing money from members' donations and handing out all their user base details at the slightest pressure from the authorities. There's absolutely nothing indexed by so-called "trackers" that you can't find elsewhere (for starters, they aren't the originators of the files). They only serve their manipulative cliques and a bunch of delusional users, with a false sense of 'added value'. Keep it simple, be free, stay clear of self-proclaimed 'elite' sites.

:lol:
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby TorrentMama » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:24 am

@ pix - yea, I know right ... :lol: :lol: - no need to correct the fat man for trying to lose weight on an all pizza diet. just laugh and move along..
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:16 am

exactly :lol:
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Return to BitTorrent