Slyck.com
 
Slyck Chatbox - And More

Advise on a printer

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Advise on a printer

Postby BombJack » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. My name is Jack.

I need some advice on what printer I should buy. I havn't got a clue what is good and what isn't. I thought it would be helpful to ask someone who knows a bit more.

I am looking for something with good resulution, not too expensive ink, with a reasonable price and something that can also print photos as well as documents.

How good is this printer? Would it be okay for me? Maybe you will suggest me something else?

Please help

Thank you very much in advance!
BombJack
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:45 pm

Re: Advise on a printer

Postby ntscuser » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:43 pm

I don't see any mention of a CD tray in the spec and would assume you want one?
User avatar
ntscuser
 
Posts: 1968
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:15 am
Location: United Kingdom but originally from Holland

Re: Advise on a printer

Postby Golgo1 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:12 pm

And a place to hold pens, that is also important. A spot for pencils would be another selling feature
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
User avatar
Golgo1
 
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 pm
Location: I drink I've been thinking

Re: Advise on a printer

Postby ntscuser » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:26 am

Golgo1 wrote:And a place to hold pens, that is also important. A spot for pencils would be another selling feature
Golgo1, assuming you are being sarcastic, how do you propose the original poster prints labels direct to disc without a CD tray like the one on my Canon Pixma iP3000?
User avatar
ntscuser
 
Posts: 1968
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:15 am
Location: United Kingdom but originally from Holland

Re: Advise on a printer

Postby Paladwyn » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:31 pm

Personally, I try to convince most people to go laser - if they can afford the initial cost.

Inkjets are just...expensive to run. End up spending a few hundred a year just to ink it.

A cheap color laser run you about 400 bucks, a better quality HP around 600, buy toner once a year or two, you will save money in the long run. Not to mention better quality, faster printing and less problems.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn
 
Posts: 3991
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:55 pm
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

Re: Advise on a printer

Postby Psycho Ced » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:45 pm

Paladwyn wrote:Personally, I try to convince most people to go laser - if they can afford the initial cost.

Inkjets are just...expensive to run. End up spending a few hundred a year just to ink it.

A cheap color laser run you about 400 bucks, a better quality HP around 600, buy toner once a year or two, you will save money in the long run. Not to mention better quality, faster printing and less problems.

Thanks, I was debating on what to do for my next printer as well, mine's been dying a slow mechanical death ever since it fell (a "parts went flying" kind of fall) on the floor 3-4 years ago.
User avatar
Psycho Ced
Psycho+
 
Posts: 5892
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:52 pm
Location: Relative to where?

Re: Advise on a printer

Postby Paladwyn » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:53 pm

Psycho Ced wrote:
Paladwyn wrote:Personally, I try to convince most people to go laser - if they can afford the initial cost.

Inkjets are just...expensive to run. End up spending a few hundred a year just to ink it.

A cheap color laser run you about 400 bucks, a better quality HP around 600, buy toner once a year or two, you will save money in the long run. Not to mention better quality, faster printing and less problems.

Thanks, I was debating on what to do for my next printer as well, mine's been dying a slow mechanical death ever since it fell (a "parts went flying" kind of fall) on the floor 3-4 years ago.


Keep in mind these prices are Canadian...so...I'm sure in the US you can get them cheaper.

EDIT - of course, the downside of them - they are usually bigger, and can be noisier when printing. But the more you spend, the better they get. 4 colours of toner, black, blue, yellow and red (of course) can run you 50-100 per toner, which depending on how much you print 5,000-10,000 pages per toner as opposed to an inkjet where it's 100-200 pages.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn
 
Posts: 3991
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:55 pm
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

Re: Advise on a printer

Postby Psycho Ced » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:03 pm

Paladwyn wrote:
Keep in mind these prices are Canadian...so...I'm sure in the US you can get them cheaper.

I'll keep that in mind if they ever let me past the border. :wink:
Forgetting taxes, it does not seem that the prices are not too bad for technology imports, but I'll look into that more if we go down there soon.
Thanks.
User avatar
Psycho Ced
Psycho+
 
Posts: 5892
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:52 pm
Location: Relative to where?


Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

© 2001-2008 Slyck.com