Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Limewire Pro...Is It Worth Paying?

Discussion of the Gnutella network and the Gnutella clients such as Gnucleus, XoloX, Shareaza, LimeWire and BearShare
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Limewire Pro...Is It Worth Paying?

Postby anniel » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:44 am

I have recently started to use Limewire and for my kind of music, oldies and Classical it is rather good and I find it easy to use.

Is it worth paying for the extra speed of Limewire Pro?

Is there any other P2P good for my kind of music..I use Kazaa Lite++ and sometimes Imesh Clean...I have given up on Winmx, as I never seem to find what I want.
If music be the food of love play on.
anniel

Postby Mrs. 2p » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:03 am

well, the first thing I learned when coming to this forum is to never pay for a P2P application or network connection. I later learned how that rule doesn't really apply to newsgroups, but it seems like you're just about as new to this as I am, so I'm guessing newsgroups isn't really an issue yet.

The idea is, if you have the money, use it to support the artist, not a network/client that is using the artists' work to profit, without giving them a percentage of what they're making. Of course, you'll be thanked if you donate to the developers, but that's different: choice and not for profit.

There are tons of networks out there. A lot better than FastTrack, too (that's what K-Lite and Imesh connect too), because the files have better bitrates, and fakes are less frequent. I'm not sure whether the kind of music you download is particularly rare or not, but you could try:

SoulSeek
    Manolito P2P
    eDonkey2000/emule (for full albums, great quality and variety, but slow speeds) - use with verified hash sites
    BitTorrent (for recent full albums, but actually a better network for movies and software/games)
    DirectConnect (you'll get great speeds if your connection is good and so is your peer's, plus, you can either download the full album -one rip- or single songs, plus you get to browse through the folders of people with similar interests)

For more info, check the guides to your left, that should give you a great start. Later, you can search through the forums for greater detail. If you still have doubts, then repost!
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby MattMerch » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:46 am

i think hes asking about limewire a gnutella client nothing todo with fastrack or imesh or kazaalite
MattMerch

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:13 am

Paying for Newsgroups is one thing, paying for P2P is another? Hmmmmm an interesting questions is posed...

The bottom line is anyone can make a profit if people are willing to pay. It is much like the argument against the outragous salaries that major league baseball players make. But that is the way the free market works, if people are willing to pay, then they will continue to earn millions. Dont like it? Dont watch the game or dont buy tickets.

I suppose the only argument left is a moral one. Should P2P developers profit off the work of artists? We can rant and rave all we want, but if the developers choose to accept payments and people choose to use their products, then so be it.
SlyckTom

Postby Mrs. 2p » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:16 am

yes, I think so too. But she's also asking about other networks, and mentions having used FastTrack before, so I suggested these. Of course, annie, if you want to stick to gnutella but are tired of limewire, you'll find a few alternatives on the list to your left. Whatever you do, stay clear of Morpheus...

EDIT: just found slycktom's post

Sadly, you're absolutely right. If people pay, then others can earn. Of course, that doesn't mean that everything goes. After all, people pay for the most terrible things (child prostitution, legal ammendments, blood...). However, I don't think the case we're dealing with here has anything to do with any of that, so your argument stands.

I, for one, can't for the life of me understand why the same people who'll complain about P2P developers *demanding* money (not asking for donations) are just as willing to comply with newsgroups' demands. I see no reason why it would be different to pay for P2P or for newsgroups, which is why I mentioned the fact, but didn't get into it. Also because, as I posted, I doubt it's really an issue for annie right now.

Annie was wondering whether it was worth paying for LimeWire Pro for the speeds. I'm guessing it isn't. And at any rate, I'd never recommend paying for that reason. But it might be, of course, if you're paying for something else (the developer's effort), and you think that's the right thing to do, which I mentioned as well. That, however, was not the question.
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Mrs. 2p

Re Limewire Pro

Postby anniel » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:41 pm

I was using Limewire and finding that I enjoyed the programme. When I was asked to consider buying the pro version in order to advance development of Limewire, I felt a bit guilty.

We all often use freebie programmes of all sorts and I am starting to think that we users should be willing to contribute to further developments, otherwise why should programme writers carry on without payment?

We all like ad free, spyware free sites and in fact demand them. So what is in it for the developers. How many of us would work for nothing?

I am constantly looking for the best P2P sites for classical,opera, oldies etc. and using Limewire was just another step in my quest..I did once tell you all I am the oldest Slyck member and most of the music available is not to my taste.

I am pleased I have started a debate and want to thank you all for your input.
anniel

Re: Re Limewire Pro

Postby Drake » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:52 pm

anniel wrote:I was using Limewire and finding that I enjoyed the programme. When I was asked to consider buying the pro version in order to advance development of Limewire, I felt a bit guilty.

You shouldn't feel guilty, but if you really like this program and would like to support Limewire by upgrading to the pro version that's great. There are several free P2P clients available and several programmers work on P2P apps/networks for the love of it, not for profit.

I have no problem with P2P developers asking for donations. It's a lot of work and they could use some support. However, the decision is totally up to you and, like I said before, you shouldn't feel guilty if you decide not to upgrade to the pro version. By sharing on the Gnutella network, you are already giving something back.
Drake

Re: Re Limewire Pro

Postby Mrs. 2p » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:54 pm

anniel wrote: When I was asked to consider buying the pro version in order to advance development of Limewire, I felt a bit guilty.

Then I misinterpreted your question, so I take back my answer. If it's giving something back that you're after and not speeds, and if LimeWire is program you enjoyed and are willing to support, then yes, I guess it is worthwhile to pay. But only because you feel you ought to, not because anyone else is asking for it.

you might also want to check out this thread. :)
Mrs. 2p

Postby Solomon » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:58 pm

Hey Anniel,

You tried the Opennap networks? You can access them from within WinMX. Lots more sources available.
Solomon

Hi there Kid

Postby anniel » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:18 pm

I am being familiar because I think we know each other from a different forum.

I used to use the opennaps but did not think they were still available on Winmx..I will have a look.

Good to hear from you.
anniel

Re: Hi there Kid

Postby Solomon » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:07 pm

anniel wrote:...I think we know each other from a different forum.

We do indeed. :D Hows Kas doing? I dont get back to IDF much these days.

If you get stuck, try posting a message here, and we should be able to sort you out.

ShangriLa.
Solomon

Re: Limewire Pro...Is It Worth Paying?

Postby gregorio » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:26 pm

anniel wrote:Is it worth paying for the extra speed of Limewire Pro?

No. Because there is close to no extra speed with LimeWire Pro. If you want to support LimeWire's development, - you can buy Pro, but don't expect anything from it.

I never paid for LimeWire Pro. And LimeWire certainly doesn't depend on each and every user buying their Pro version (although they might like that).
LimeWire 4.13 is out. Don't miss it!
gregorio

Return to Gnutella