Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Where's a good place to get a seedbox?

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Where's a good place to get a seedbox?

Postby Toasty » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:14 am

I've been thinking of subscribing to an offshore seedbox for some time now and am wondering if you guys have any insights. It's only for personal use, with my main three reasons for wanting it being to speed up the swarms I join, maintain a good up/down ratio (my upload bandwidth sucks here) and to shield my (relatively) vulnerable US IP address from prying eyes. Are there any particular locations or hosts that you'd recommend? Anonymous payment would be an enormous plus as well, if there are reliable hosts that accept it. Also - are most remote seedboxes that people use full-fledged servers (like a VPS or dedicated server) or are they not that versatile?

Thanks in advance for any info that you can provide, and for baring with the seedbox newb. :)
Toasty

Re: Where's a good place to get a seedbox?

Postby sonnentier » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:59 am

Toasty wrote:are most remote seedboxes that people use full-fledged servers (like a VPS or dedicated server)

Yes most seedboxes are dedicated servers. You should secure it against attacks from script kiddies and the like.
sonnentier

Postby Toasty » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:28 pm

Neat. I was kinda hoping that was the case, as I wouldn't mind being able to use it for other things too. I think a dedicated server is probably overkill for my purposes, so I guess my question now is where a good place to sign up for a VPS for use as a seedbox would be? :)
Toasty

Postby lordfoul » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:39 pm

You might want to check out http://www.intl-alliance.com/services.html
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Postby Toasty » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:45 am

Hmm. I poked around on that site but couldn't find any VPS plans listed. (That's not what they mean by "shared hosting" in their store section, is it?) I notice their Resellers section is currently down; would they normally be listed there?
Toasty

Return to BitTorrent