Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Seedboxes in action!!!

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Seedboxes in action!!!

Postby LANjackal » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:16 pm

So I wrote that seedbox article back in the day, but I don't think I'd ever seen one in action before just now. Or at least if I had, not as fast as this. Then again my connection speed is over 6X what it was back then ... here's the screenshot from my uTorrent:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW *head spinning* I'm beginning to wonder why I hadn't done this before, lol. Oh yeah, no money for a faster connection. Right.

I know it's a seedbox because the source domain is one of those I wrote about.

Also, I can hear my USB2.0 HDD thrashing loudly, so this probably isn't good in the long run.

Other amazing speed screenshots also welcome.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Re: Seedboxes in action!!!

Postby folding » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:28 pm

folding

Postby IceCube » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:51 pm

I'm just glad I brought this to everyones attention. I figured the potential benefits were definitely there and it's nice to see that the potential benefits are seen in reality too. :)
IceCube

Postby Fartingbob » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:52 pm

My connection has never been fast enough to test the seed boxes speeds, but a year or 2 ago when i was in some of the bigger private trackers (i have since dramatically changed my views on them, but thats another story) There was 5 or 6 very prolific seeders with averages of 5-15MB/s. Of course, since they used to seed the big TV, films and games, so it would probably be split amoung hundreds of peers.
Occasionally you see truely crazy upload speeds reported on newzbin.com (which says the average upload speed based on when first and last files are posted). Seedboxes arent that useful for usenet, but the more people that buy them, the bigger it'll become and the cheaper it'll get. That'll filter down into more BT trackers with uber seeders.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby LANjackal » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:06 pm

IceCube wrote:I'm just glad I brought this to everyones attention. I figured the potential benefits were definitely there and it's nice to see that the potential benefits are seen in reality too. :)
Yeah thanks a lot for that, IC :) Props.

EDIT: *.edu domains are also helpful too :), though not nearly as much. And the torrent's Swedish peers make me look stupid. I topped out at 2.3 MB/s down, they're at 2.8.
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Nutty-Slack » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:35 pm

LANjackal wrote:EDIT: *.edu domains are also helpful too, though not nearly as much. And the torrent's Swedish peers make me look stupid. I topped out at 2.3 MB/s down, they're at 2.8.

First time i've ever seen the download meter on Azureus read "MB/s" instead of "KB/s".
The highlighted 887KB/s was a european educational facility and the 105KB/s above was a 'regular' Swedish peer (those are much more common, and much appreciated!).

Actual 'seedbox' sightings are rarer than rocking-horse doody, for me at least. :(
(I only use two - reasonably low-key - private sites with any regularity)

Quibus Societas Nobis Intemporaliter
Nutty-Slack

Postby explicit » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:41 pm

explicit

Postby ejonesss » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:50 pm

where is the seedboxes located? on a hosting server or your own pc? meaning is a seed box something you have to download or operate from your own connection or does it live on a hosting service?

and can they download too so if they are on a server somewhere instead of on your connection i can download the file without the risk of the anti p2p?
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby sonnentier » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:26 pm

ejonesss wrote:where is the seedboxes located? on a hosting server or your own pc? meaning is a seed box something you have to download or operate from your own connection or does it live on a hosting service?
Well, when we talk about seedboxes we usually mean the ones standing in datacentres at hosting firms connected to high speed internet access. However you could of course also set up a seedbox as a home-server, e.g. to seed in another room without having your PC to be switched on.

ejonesss wrote:and can they download too so if they are on a server somewhere instead of on your connection i can download the file without the risk of the anti p2p?
You can both download and upload, it's a torrent client on a server. Of course if you downloaded something to your seedbox, you still have to transfer it to your local computer to use it. I am not sure about the risk of Anti-P2P - probably they can also get the information who the server belongs to, so they would still be able to identify you.
sonnentier

Postby LANjackal » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:16 am

OK, this isn't a BT seedbox, but I'm guessing it's NOT someone's home PC, lol. This is a screenshot from an mIRC download:

LANjackal

Return to BitTorrent