Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Why would ISP try to connect to your firewall gui

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Why would ISP try to connect to your firewall gui

Postby Subnet Fiend » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:46 pm

Hello my firewall GUI keeps getting incoming connections from my ISP, do you think that is a bad thing? Maybe it's just misplaced network traffic (sorry for the bad terminology, i don't even know if misplaced network traffic exist) or maybe they actually do need access for something, maybe they're trying to throttle my ports or something and connecting to my firewall is a step in their devious plan. Whatever they're doing I don't really trust it. From just a wild guess the only people who should have access to any of my firewall files would be the company them self so they can update it right? Lol and of course me.
Subnet Fiend

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:01 pm

odds are, it's nothing to be concerned about - but a specific error message would be helpful.
MrFredPFL

Re: Why would ISP try to connect to your firewall gui

Postby Subnet Fiend » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:26 pm

This is it

This wasn't from my ISP but if it was it would of basically looked like this. What i don't get though is why would they be making connections to my firewall, unless it really was just meaningless traffic.I already blocked my ISP from my GUI though so i haven't gotten a request from them in 2 days, 2 days ago being when i blocked them. I'm not that knowledgeable so to be honest i don't even know the exact definition of traffic and for all i know maybe one element of the internet is the fact that shit just goes anywhere sometimes.
Subnet Fiend

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:37 pm

sorry, but that screenshot is useless to narrow this down - all you've done is show the blank form, minus all the relevant details. what is relevant to one incident does not necessarily have any relevance to another.
MrFredPFL

Postby Subnet Fiend » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:18 pm

Sorry I didn't think these two incidents were that different, the only difference is I took out the IPs and port numbers, the remote address was still trying to access my firewall, anyway I just unblocked Verizon and they still haven't tried to connect. I just have one question really, and I would think it could be answered without the pop-up. I was wondering that in the event that my ISP was trying to connect to my GUI and like you said it was probably nothing to be concerned about, what could they of been doing even if it was no big deal? I'm just curious.

What kinda of information that was so important on that did I take out anyway? If it helps the IPs they used were 71.242.0.12 and 71.250.0.12. Well as soon as I get another pop-up from verizon I'll show you anyway.
Subnet Fiend

Postby ejonesss » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:37 pm

Subnet Fiend wrote:Hello my firewall GUI keeps getting incoming connections from my ISP, do you think that is a bad thing? Maybe it's just misplaced network traffic (sorry for the bad terminology, i don't even know if misplaced network traffic exist) or maybe they actually do need access for something, maybe they're trying to throttle my ports or something and connecting to my firewall is a step in their devious plan. Whatever they're doing I don't really trust it. From just a wild guess the only people who should have access to any of my firewall files would be the company them self so they can update it right? Lol and of course me.

i doubt that an isp would need to hack a router .

all they need to do is re program their gateways to block or shape traffic.

probably a hacker trying to crack your wi fi encryption (if your router has wi fi)
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:50 pm

fiend: firstly, i suspect they are NOT trying to connect to your firewall's GUI. it's my guess that that is indicative of a poorly conceived/worded error message. i am reasonably sure it's just your PC they are attempting to connect to, not the GUI of your firewall. the GUI is reporting the attempt, but not the target of it, i would think.

the port number(s) involved might give a clue as to what was going on - maybe not, but it's possible. in any event, the addresses you posted appear to be verison nameservers (DNS). i don't know why nameservers sometimes appear to be attempting to connect to a subscriber's PC, but i have seen that behavior with just about every ISP i have had contact with. again, until proven otherwise, i would assume there is nothing bad going on here. if anyone else can explain why nameservers sometimes do this, i'd love to hear more :)
MrFredPFL

Postby Curmudgeon » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:41 pm

In the advanced TCP/IP>DNS properties is a check box marked "Register this connection's Addresses in DNS"
the default is checked.

No clue if this is it but ,hey.
Curmudgeon

Postby IneptVagrant » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:27 am

UDP is one-way traffic -- it will be directed to a listening port, which it enough info to determine what program the traffic is for. Most likely its a P2P app, they frequently receive UDP days, or weeks after the prog is shutdown.

At a cmd prompt you can run "netstat -abn" and look for local address port to figure out what prog is listening on the port you are interested in.

If you have many connections, u'll need to redirect to output to a file "netstat -abn > output.txt".
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby thejynxed » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:47 pm

I see this all of the time. More than likely it's multicast traffic from your ISP. Annoying but essentially harmless. I block it anyhow, because my ISP is there to provide me with one thing: an internet connection. I don't want any traffic from them other than DNS responses. Which reminds me, I still have to get on them about fixing their firmware...for some stupid reason, they have DHCP and BootTCP enabled on the modem. Stupid gits.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion