Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Game protection causes burn error?

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Game protection causes burn error?

Postby gremlin99 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:50 pm

I have not posted here before, though frequented this forum for the last few years. I repeatedly experienced really strange burn errors that caused me to reinstall windows several times. It always happened after I had installed a game, typically with starforce or solidshield protection. After the installation of the game, when I try to burn an iso image, burning starts as usual and about halfway through returns "write error". Using either Nero or Alcohol had the same outcome - DVD in a waste bin :( . On other occasions, my Nero got disabled from starting. My latest remedy was to use system restore and restore right before the malicious disk-breaking game was installed. It always fixes the problem, but I am curious what the heck is causing that?
I use windows XP SP2, the burner is older Lite-On 4x.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers.
gremlin99

Re: Game protection causes burn error?

Postby jokster » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:53 pm

starforce is infamous for messing your drives, although its creators totally deny it
dont know if its any help to you but you could look at the starforce apps here or the official removal tool here
Capitalism Is Cannibalism
Resistance is fertile
jokster

Postby gremlin99 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:50 pm

Thank you, jokster. Love your slogan there.

Looked at the second link "..StarForce does not damage optical drives.". Yea, right. It just destroys your blank DVDs. I guess I will just have to install second OS on the second drive solely to play starforce-infected games...
Sorry, don't feel like putting anything in the sig right now...
gremlin99

Postby thejynxed » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:38 pm

StarForce does too destroy drives. It overwrites the drive firmware almost like a rootkit. What they've done, is in the StarForce files, is that they have custom firmwares written out for the major drive manufacturers. One of the reason StarForce infected games ask you to reboot is so that it can flash the drive when you are done running the game installation routine.

They've trashed 3 of my drives to date.

Fortunately for me, the NEC drive I currently have has a firmware lock option.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby IneptVagrant » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:46 am

Change the firmware? -- I think not.

You need to do more research. StarForce is a driver, works under the same principles Virtual Drives do. It asks you to reboot so the driver can be loaded.

You haven't trashed 3 drives. You have trashed 3 OSs.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby thejynxed » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:28 pm

Explain why no OS reinstallation revived the drives :)

I am well aware that it uses hidden virtual devices, etc in the driver, but there is no explanation for the drives going from brand new to dead in less than one month.

The drives wouldn't even show up under Knoppix, so something else is definitely going on with this DRM other than a simple driver.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby anonomously2 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:08 pm

thejynxed wrote:Explain why no OS reinstallation revived the drives :)

Sweet, Check & Mate !!! :toast: :D :loveyou:
anonomously2

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion