Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Will I be beneath the radar if...

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Will I be beneath the radar if...

Postby Toasty » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:43 am

I know there's no such thing as being 100% safe when downloading movies and what not on torrents, which is why I tend to be more of a Usenet person. But I'm wondering what types of content the **AA's are most interested in busting. There are a couple Disney Channel original movies (yeah, laugh at me - I don't care) that never went to DVD that I could find no where other than a few torrent sites. Would you think the chance of being caught in those torrents is fairly remote? Have there been any reports of people getting nailed with that type of content before? Does the fact that I live in the US mean I should avoid all torrents like the plague? Etc.

I understand all the technicalities of how people get caught, but I also know the web is a big place, and the industry can't go after everything, so what are their priorities? Is it likely that they would even bother with the sort of thing I want to download?
Toasty

Re: Will I be beneath the radar if...

Postby Psycho Ced » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:08 am

I would think if they planned to make a lot of money off it (or are in the process of doing so), your chances of getting sued are higher.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Paladwyn » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:18 am

You raise an excellent point in pro-file sharing. Hard to get movies, and things that you can't get on DVD. The internet is a great place to gain support for and advertise that these things actually exist.

However in the minds of the **AA's this doesn't matter, they feel that any unauthorized copy of any works is considered illegal and should be enforced to the fullest extent of the law.

However again, the internet IS a big place and millions of people fileshare all the time, so I would assume that if you aren't going after the big named songs and video's that you would less likely to be targetted, but if at all possible to make sure your sharign techniques are secured. I know it hurts the torrent networks, but to block outgoing traffic would help, and download from non-USA sources.

Basically, is it stands, they will target seeders more than leechers, but don't have the mindset that it can't happen to you. Filesharing in the US is like walking through a minefield, one wrong move and you're toast.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby LANjackal » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:45 pm

Toasty wrote:There are a couple Disney Channel original movies (yeah, laugh at me - I don't care) that never went to DVD that I could find no where other than a few torrent sites. Would you think the chance of being caught in those torrents is fairly remote? Have there been any reports of people getting nailed with that type of content before? Does the fact that I live in the US mean I should avoid all torrents like the plague? Etc.
Generally speaking, the more commercially popular and potentially profitable the content, the more enforcement it gets. I wouldn't worry about what you're currently looking for, but I'd think twice before downloading a new theatrical release. As with all enforcement issues, there are no guarantees with regards to safety, so just bear that in mind.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Toasty » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:27 am

Yeah, that's what I thought. Is there a list or anything of movies whose sharers have had legal action taken against them? It might help ease my concerns a little if I could see what commonly gets people caught. :D
Toasty

Postby enigmax » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:24 am

er no, no list i'm afraid :)

LJ's advice is good, I wouldn't add anything to it.
enigmax

Postby mattyk1985 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:48 am

I'm not sure about movies but companies like adobe are getting furious about there products (some of which cost hundreds of dollars) getting pirated and when all these big companies put even more pressure on the gov,theres gonna be some trouble for the really heavy file sharers who have thousands maybe even hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of products
mattyk1985

Postby Wham » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:59 am

The internet was made for fools like myself. You are NOT safe no matter what you do on the Internet. For every good person that want's to do it right there are a thousand crooks. The whole internet is crooked. The internet was made for fools like myself. Repeat. I get it but it won't stop me.
Wham

Return to BitTorrent