Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Two New PC's

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Two New PC's

Postby lordfoul » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:02 am

I've got two new Amd 5000+ Black Edition CPU's in hand and I'm looking to construct two new PC's for my daughter's. I've not purchased a damn thing other than the CPU"s yet. The power to price point was to good to give up at the time so I jumped the gun and got my inside contacts to grab me a couple at the get go, in case quantities where an issue. Now I need to assemble two different PC's centered around the one similar component for two quite different purposes. I did some research and found the reviews pretty lacking really, probably due to the fact Intel has dominated the power user space for some time, and thus apathy set in. I figure Slyck is as savvy a group as I've come across and why not just ask them?

So in that spirit I shall. I need components for two machines. I should say I have two serviceable cases, plenty of dads smaller relegated Sata HD's giving each 500G+ each easily, and beefy power supplies the least of which weighing in at 750W and the other at 850W, and a pair of LG HDCP ready LCD's. One PC is going to be really taxed by Gaming and the other by Maya and Rhino rendering at the most. Each has it's own concerns and both will operate Vista exclusively, (I don't wanna hear any Linux crap, I run it personally, but try and tell that to teenage girls.)

I'm a guy with a day job, a weekend job, single parent, and working on a second Masters in my spare time so money does matter. I'm open to any suggestions at all that will get the job done and cost me the least money. Not to be too clicie but any assistance would be appreciated about individual components or whole setup recommendations, with a mind toward cost to performace ratio's.

I need recommendations for a lot of stuff including: descent air cooling(Black Edition = Unlocked Over clocking), DDR2 memory, Mobo's, DX10 Graphics card for the gaming box, HD capabilities either on the GX card or mobo for both, built in sound is satisfactory, dual dvi a definite for the Graphics box and any thing else you guys can think of I'd love to hear about.

PS I'm looking for two two descent, school type portable laptops for X-Mas.

Any Assistance Would Be Appreciated.
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Re: Two New PC's

Postby Fartingbob » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:28 am

For the gaming one i definitely recommend the 8800GT. It just came out, if you read any reviews of it you'll see that it kicks the living shit out of every other DX10 card in price per FPS as well as being smaller (fit in any case ok) and less power hungry. If your going DX10, its currently the only card i would consider. Get 2GB of RAM (as fast as your mobo can handle, prices are pretty much the same for the different speeds so it wont cost much more). For the mobo itself, i tend to fall into the group of people who think you dont need to spend huge amounts on one. Get yourself a mid priced board that has enough connections and spend the rest of the money elsewhere.

I dont know much about cooling, but anandtech and hardocp both review alot of cooling systems and compare them to all the others, so its whatever fits your price range really. Most coolers these days will adequately cool your CPU even when overclocking quite a bit.

As for the OC'ing, the gaming machine probably wont need much, but the other one seems to have less demand on hardware (rendering takes forever on any system, if you dont mind waiting a little longer you can save yourself alot of money). Get a nice cooling system and you can get away with older parts overclocked quite a bit.
for GPU, if you want DX10 id go for the the cheaper 8600's. Can handle anything you throw at them currently at normal resolutions and yet dont cost much more than DX9 cards. If your not bothered about DX10, then something like the 7900GT is powerful enough to play games and cheap enough that it wont hurt the bank account.

It will probably cost alot to set up both with all this, but you can make sacrifices on the board or RAM and still have good systems that get the job done. The gaming machine will probably cost more since you want good graphics and you probably dont want to go cheap on that. The other system seems more like a workhorse that just needs good cooling to allow for higher overclocking.

I never knew you had 2 teenage kids, i always thought you were younger than that. Mind you until recently i thought icecube was at least a decade older than he actually is.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby JolietJake » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:12 pm

I don't have any specific recommendations for laptops beyond this, wait til around black Friday, most stores usually have at least one model on sale. This is assuming you're in the US.

I got my laptop last black Friday for around $400. It isn't a power house but works fine for schoolwork.
You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand.
JolietJake

Postby lordfoul » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:30 am

Thanx for the tips guys I certainly will check them out and let you know how it goes. :)
lordfoul

Postby lordfoul » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:59 am

An update. I've purchased a pair of M2N-E mobo's from Asus and pair of Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX heat sink/fan combo's. And four gigs of generic ddr2 800 for the two mobo's. I clocked them up to a 3GHz and all is quiet to boot thanxs to Asus's built in "q control" fan throttling. The OC is all done by muliplier alone to 15 rather than the stock 13.5 and the FSB never was touched. Have to say I like the set up very much, and on a budget to boot. I split up a couple old nVida video cards I had running in SLI on another rig for now into the two pc's until I see a deal on a some DX10 cards some were.

I've been tracking the upcoming laptop sale buzz for the upcoming "black friday" events and I must say there are a couple sweet deals I've spotted in advance already.

Anyways I'll keep you posted on the laptop horizon, and if anyone see's 8000 GTS series cards on for super cheap let me know.
lordfoul

Postby EvilWizardGlick » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:33 am

Also try posting your question at Videohelp
http://www.videohelp.com/
For the laptops Everex has a new model due out the xt5300t. The xt5000t was an amazing product.
http://www.everexforum.com/forum/index.php?a=forum&f=22
Good Luck.
Happy Holidays.
EvilWizardGlick

Postby lordfoul » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:16 am

As a side note I've decided after over a week of good response from the OC'd multiplier I've upp'ed it to a grand total of 3.2 Ghz for both with slightly different core voltages but still good stuff overall. 3.2 from 200fsbx16 multiplier is were if happy at. Wow is all I can say. Im using Prime95's beta for dual core+ to stress test for temp etc to establish stability. My question is how in the heck does one get bios setting screen caps? I'd love to know LF
lordfoul

Postby IneptVagrant » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:20 am

use a camera...

CPUid works too.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion