Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Bell Canada Black listing P2P users!

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Bell Canada Black listing P2P users!

Postby head slapper » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:37 pm

Here is some very interesting news describing whats happening in Canada with Bell-Sympatico, The countries largest Internet Provider:

Title: Bell Sympatico P2P Black List
URL: http://www.p2pnet.net/story/13883

The Short Version:
If you’re planning to go to Bell-Sympatico, or are already a Bell-Sympatico user, the following applies to you:

1.Bell is throttling: this is admitted in their own forum

2.Bell acknowledges it’s targeting specific programs and it didn’t specify the whole list, but only a partial list which may change as it deems fit, “as required”.

3.Bell stated unlimited accounts will remain so, as long as they’re within the “acceptable range”.

4.No one to date knows what this “acceptable range” is. We have to guess.

5.Bell stated this is in accordance with the “Acceptable Use Policy”.

6.The “Acceptable Use Policy” doesn’t state anything other than being completely open-ended to change at Bell’s discretion as it sees fit to enforce upon you, at any time it wants.

7.None of Bell’s policies tell you’ ‘unlimited’ equals 200-gigs MAX or you’re labelled a ‘Network Abuser’.

8.By Bell’s own statements, it’s suffering from internal network problems and is targeting areas/people where this occurs, within any time frameit deems fit, with no regard to anyone (ie,. ‘creating an unusually large burden on our networks’) .Hence, it’s over-subscribed what it can actually handle.

9.So in other words, you’re at Bell’’s mercy since the areas aren’t defined, time-frame isn’t defined, programs/protocols/ports aren’t defined, B/W limits aren’t defined, what speed you will be dropped to isn’t defined,

10.Bell says only P2P being throttled, however some people are complaining it affects their internet experience as a whole, regardless of P2P.

11.Bell states it’s not limiting the amount a person can download. However, by lowering speed to 512/512 for ‘Network Abusers’, for those on unlimited and throttling the rest of the users during peak times (which aren’t defined), speed is reduced. So how much you can download? Thus, by their own admission, they’re in fact affecting how much you can download, as well as when and how.

12.Bell stated you’re on your own to determine when peak time congestion is, in case you’re wonder why things slow down to 30KB/s.

13.Even if you pay the extra $25/month for unlimited, you will/can get this throttle at any time of the day (to 30-KB/s) they deem fit to impose it and you will be labelled a ‘network Abuser’ if you reach the invisible magic b/w limit.

14.Those who received the VERY vague letters were given no time frame as to when to slow down on the downloads/uploads,

15.Those who received the VERY vague letters were given no b/w limit to stay below,

16.Those who received the VERY vague letters were not told they’d be degraded to a 512/512 profile.

17.All those affected should be allowed to terminate their contracts without penalty fee’s since this is a VERY big change in Bandwidth policy without notice or regard to the customer and with no time-frame and b/w limit given.

18.It has been made public knowledge that Bell is forcing other DSL whole-sellers or re-sellers to get rid of the unlimited login. This is full control over competition.

19.It has been made public knowledge that those cut off from bell DSL for any of the above reasons will be removed from their Dbase and you won’t be able to get service from the other DSL competition going through their network (Bell won’t activate the port/card). This is full control over competition.

20.It hasn’t been confirmed, but the magic invisible limit on unlimited is 200-gigs (explain that one to your kids).

21.If you were sold the promise of unlimited consistently fast internet, you need to call the Bell Executive Office of Customer Relations if you see 30KB/s because Bell reps won’t acknowledge the whole truth to you and will probably tell you the problem is your broken PC or router. You were only sold a broken promise.

22.Be aware of the Black list and what happens if you make this black list.

We all know what’s going to come next, encryption throttling (like Rogers).

Buyer beware.

So much for always "consistantly fast and never shared" as they advertize on TV!
head slapper

Re: Bell Canada Black listing P2P users!

Postby KingGeorge » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:53 pm

I hope they start enjoying the same press treatment Comcast in the states is getting these days. Look forward to a barren network devoid of customers in the future.
While copying an unreleased album for work, accidentally left a file-sharing site open on his computer. "Two guys in long black coats turned up at my work, trying to intimidate me." -Bob May British PR.
KingGeorge

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:51 pm

head slapper wrote:Title: Bell Sympatico P2P Black List
URL: http://www.p2pnet.net/story/13883

The Short Version:
... followed by 22 'points' about the ISP in question ...

I'm glad you only posted the short version :shock:

In future, this would be best submitted as a news article.
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby kellypi » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:07 pm

bell owns the phone lines. they were the first to cap dsl and i was a sympatico user at the time. since most isps here buy their bandwidth from bell its become impossible to get uncapped dsl now. i remember calling isps at the time and being told that bell had informed them that they had to cap and at what limit or they would lose access. its getting worse, im at a very independant, i thought, isp now, but theyve capped at 20 up and 20 down per month also. if you dont cap trunk lines suddenly start acting up, odd things like that. bell has a monopoly and is in bed with the mpaa, and is enjoying it. remember, they have huge financial interests in the states

i called there recently to file a complaint concerning their tos. finally the manager i was speaking with told me that the mpaa was putting on the pressure and that they had to protect their financial interests in the states, thats why this is happening according to him. and they own the major satellite tv provider, and bonus, they want to buy dishnet, so they really need to keep american feet warm in their bed at this point. they were given a monopoly theyve continuously abused and our government refuses to do a thing, but hey, this is canada. happens all the time
~always keep a smile on your face~
~that way everyone will think you're crazy and won't mess with you :) ~
kellypi

Postby head slapper » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:10 pm

I would have submitted it as news... But i'm a n00b, so don't know how :/

Feel free to do it for me pls.
head slapper

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:00 pm

head slapper wrote:I would have submitted it as news... But i'm a n00b, so don't know how :/

welcome to slyck, slapper. you can submit future stories here :)
MrFredPFL

Postby Vampirescu » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:05 pm

ive always hated bell, glad i have telus, there twice as costly as shaw at over half the speed and there customers service sucks.....ummm i'm going to call shaw now
Yar Har Fiddle De De, Being a Pirate is Alright With Me. Do What You Want Cause a Pirate is Free! You Are a Pirate!
Vampirescu

Re:

Postby head slapper » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:33 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:
head slapper wrote:I would have submitted it as news... But i'm a n00b, so don't know how :/

welcome to slyck, slapper. you can submit future stories here :)

I keep trying and keep seeing "only logged in users can submit news". No matter what I do, I keep seeing the same thing and it refuses.

So as stated before, feel free to subit it on my behalf. ty
head slapper

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:36 pm

are you sure you were logged in when you tried to submit it?
MrFredPFL

Postby head slapper » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:07 am

yes, I was logged in. Proof I was logged in was, posting that I can't post news! Just kept getting the same warning that I had to be logged in.

I'll try again after this post.
head slapper

Postby head slapper » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:09 am

MrFredPFL wrote:are you sure you were logged in when you tried to submit it?

Just tried submitting news again. I can post in this thread, but get this when I use the link provided above:

"Submit a News Story From the Web
Only logged in users may submit news."

Nothing else shows.
head slapper

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:23 am

ok, sorry about that :( the boss is checking it out, so hopefully it will be fixed soon :)
MrFredPFL

Postby Golgo1 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:17 am

Does anyone know if this affects MTS in Manitoba?

I know MTS is not Bell-Sympatico, but for quite a while MTS was partnered with Sympatico, Im not sure where that stands today.
I dont use the MTS DSL (generally Shaw sucks, but cable net is always better than DSL net) I was just thinking, if this doesnt affect MTS at all, then I guess this doesnt directly affect any available service in Manitoba.
No real point there, just an observation.
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby HalOfBorg » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:01 pm

As to the logged in users/news posting issue - same for me in the past. I just assumed you needed to be a higher level user than I was. :tinfoilhat:
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer: http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

We are The Borg.
Lower your weapons. Disarm your explosives.
Your spawn will adapt to service Us.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Postby head slapper » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:33 pm

Someone else already added it to the news, but whom ever did left out a heck of a lot. All they say is sympatico is throttling.

http://www.slyck.com/story1613_Sympatic ... P_Limiting

There is LOTS more going on here that the other person failed to address, see, state and make people aware of...

oh well one-quarter the news is better than no news... We'll blame bush! ;)
head slapper

Postby IceCube » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:38 pm

Yeah, there's been a bunch of new users mysteriously linking to the same story all over the forums lately despite the obvious news story already being reported right on Slycks home page.
IceCube

Postby MudBone » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:13 pm

I live in the US/Colorado where I am using Comcast, several weeks ago I started seeing that my upload cap is set at 0kb/s once download is complete, meaning once a file is done thats it, game over.
MudBone

Postby Minithrottled » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:23 pm

It's definitely true. Bell Sympatico's Manager of Customer Service told me herself!

Here's what I suggest - call Bell Sympatico's Manager of Customer Service directly and tell her how terrible this whole blacklisting nonsense is.

Her name is Deborah Brannen and her direct line is 613-781-7134.

I suggest spreading that around in order to create some waves of protest for her.

As well, check this little humourous anti-Bell Sympatico piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlMbxosLtaY

Cheers.
Minithrottled

Postby TorrentMama » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:39 pm

head slapper wrote:
MrFredPFL wrote:are you sure you were logged in when you tried to submit it?

Just tried submitting news again. I can post in this thread, but get this when I use the link provided above:

"Submit a News Story From the Web
Only logged in users may submit news."

Nothing else shows.

I have this problem when I go to slyck.com. It's fixed when I go to http://www.slyck.com
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby craftycorner » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:16 pm

The Pirate Bay is working on the problem. So far they've released something called "relakks". It's not free, but what is. :?

Anonymous BitTorrent and Internet Access

The Swedish Pirate Party introduced a completely anonymous internet service called relakks. Relakks makes it possible to browse the web, and use p2p-applications (like BitTorrent) without being monitored by your ISP or anti-piracy gangs like the MPAA and RIAA.

The article is here.

http://torrentfreak.com/about/anonymous ... et-access/
My God, its full of files!

Crafty
craftycorner

Postby Paladwyn » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:15 pm

Well, living out here in Saskatchewan, having to deal with the horrid Sasktel company...one redeeming quality is that they don't throttle at all, if I'm not mistaken. Though their services are a bit higher in the more rural areas, the speed is usually quite decent.

I'm glad Sasktel ditched the who Sympatico BS a while back, it's done wonders for them.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby Paladwyn » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:10 am

If they change the terms of use, they have to inform their customers. I read this somewhere, where a phone company (or internet) changed their terms on a customer but didn't inform, and the judge said they have to inform, not just post it on their site with a thing saying "Subject to change without notice"

So, Bell can be hit pretty hard if they suddenly impose a bunch of new rules and changes without telling it's customers.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby gob » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:37 am

Paladwyn wrote:Well, living out here in Saskatchewan, having to deal with the horrid Sasktel company...one redeeming quality is that they don't throttle at all, if I'm not mistaken. Though their services are a bit higher in the more rural areas, the speed is usually quite decent.

I'm glad Sasktel ditched the who Sympatico BS a while back, it's done wonders for them.

I'm very happy with Sasktel. I was a former Shaw customer and was getting slow speeds at peak times and hounded for bandwidth usage. I made the switch to Sasktel and am very impressed. I have high speed plus and get 5Mbit down at all time. I use a private torrent site (Torrentleech) so I max out my connection speeds almost always. I have heard good things about Access Communications, but I must say...Sasktel's speeds are consistent with what they advertise, they don't throttle, and actual unlimited downloading. What's wrong with that?

It's not expensive either. I get High Speed Plus and Sasktel HDTV with 5 theme packs for $59 a month.
gob

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion