Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Stable router that can handle BT

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Stable router that can handle BT

Postby looper » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:32 am

I'm sharing my internet connection with a friend and we have serious problems with the stability of the router.
We're looking for a router that can handle bittorrent (heavy load) without any problem and also be able to play some games and such. Our internet connection is 100/10Mb/s.

I would really appreciate some help and thanks in advance.
/Henrik
looper

Re: Stable router that can handle BT

Postby KingGeorge » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:56 am

If its a linksys take it outdoors get a sledgehammer and bash it into fragments and scatter them to the ends of the earth. They strip out all the RAM and flash from those to keep people from flashing it with third party firmware that solves all those problems. Buy one of these http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices and flash it with DD-WRT. After flashing change to settings below. A normal router with stock firmware is total crap and linksys routers are neutered
crap look at their specs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrt54g#Hardware_revisions

IP Filter Settings (adjust these for P2P)
Maximum Ports 4096
(Default: 512, Range: 0 - 4096) set to 4096
TCP Timeout (in seconds)
(Default: 3600, Range: 0 - 3600) set to 90
UDP Timeout (in seconds)
While copying an unreleased album for work, accidentally left a file-sharing site open on his computer. "Two guys in long black coats turned up at my work, trying to intimidate me." -Bob May British PR.
KingGeorge

Postby IneptVagrant » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:51 am

I have one computer for the gateway/NAT/ICS with a switch behind that to connect the rest of the PCs. Only run BT on that gateway.

I tried 4 different routers with no luck -- so gave up on them.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby TorrentMama » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:08 pm

[shameless plug]
this may be overkill.. but I've got a router & 2 switches for sale. I'm just not using these anymore so I'll cut you a helluva deal. :D

CISCO 3640 3600 ROUTER 128/32 WIC-T1 NM-2FE2W 12.4.5

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3524-XL-EN, 24-port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch
Cisco Systems Catalyst WS-c3524-xl-en,24 port 10/100 fast ethernet switch.
[/shameless plug]

ok .. def. overkill.. :wink:

try this router
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellit ... ntable=yes
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby Nutty-Slack » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:38 pm

KingGeorge wrote:If its a linksys take it outdoors get a sledgehammer and bash it into fragments and scatter them to the ends of the earth.

I was using a WRT54G (wireless router) but replaced it with a rather novel and totally reliable device known as a Cat5 Ethernet cable (25-foot), plugged straight into my cable modem.
Of course the modem is a POS too, but that's another story. :shrug:

Quibus Societas Nobis Intemporaliter
Nutty-Slack

Postby Paladwyn » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:19 pm

KingGeorge wrote:If its a linksys take it outdoors get a sledgehammer and bash it into fragments and scatter them to the ends of the earth. They strip out all the RAM and flash from those to keep people from flashing it with third party firmware that solves all those problems. Buy one of these http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices and flash it with DD-WRT. After flashing change to settings below. A normal router with stock firmware is total crap and linksys routers are neutered

Maximum Ports 4096
TCP Timeout (in seconds)
UDP Timeout (in seconds)

Well, I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router with the DD-WRT firmware installed, as Linksys was one of the few companies that allowed you to load 3rd party on, whereas the D-link routers I had before wouldn't take it at all. Not to mention, on that list of supported devices for DD-WRT, Linksys has the MOST number of models capable of loading their firmware on.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby LANjackal » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:05 am

D-Link's DGL series was built for just the scenario the OP described:

http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=643&#DGL-4500

Small Net Builder (called "Tom's Networking" at the time) tested the preceding 4100 model and found it worked as advertised. It's not cheap, though. Enjoy.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby KingGeorge » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:12 am

Paladwyn wrote:
KingGeorge wrote:If its a linksys take it outdoors get a sledgehammer and bash it into fragments and scatter them to the ends of the earth. They strip out all the RAM and flash from those to keep people from flashing it with third party firmware that solves all those problems. Buy one of these http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices and flash it with DD-WRT. After flashing change to settings below. A normal router with stock firmware is total crap and linksys routers are neutered

Maximum Ports 4096
TCP Timeout (in seconds)
UDP Timeout (in seconds)

Well, I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router with the DD-WRT firmware installed, as Linksys was one of the few companies that allowed you to load 3rd party on, whereas the D-link routers I had before wouldn't take it at all. Not to mention, on that list of supported devices for DD-WRT, Linksys has the MOST number of models capable of loading their firmware on.
They don't want you too now though since they discovered someone would just buy a $50 router instead of their $500 model and just change the firmware and get the same results and save $450. The newer versions have 1/2 the ram and flash of past versions and can only support special micro firmware builds that lack the features the full edition of a third party firmware has. If someone happens to be in the market for a new router buy from a better company you will get more for the same price unless you want to search ebay and pay extra for an older model that isn't stripped. The easiest thing don't touch linksys with a ten foot pole and them get the message that if they want to sell junk they can go out of business.
While copying an unreleased album for work, accidentally left a file-sharing site open on his computer. "Two guys in long black coats turned up at my work, trying to intimidate me." -Bob May British PR.
KingGeorge

Postby Paladwyn » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:02 am

I haven't checked into it, but you probably are right, and I'm gonna take your word for it. I guess when you are looking to go this deep into hardware the best thing you can do is research. If you are gonna go with a linksys, get one of the variants that do work, and the DD-WRT site is great for it, not to mention the firmware is pretty darn good as well.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby zbeast » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:13 pm

Over the last two weeks, I've noticed a sudden increase in spam message entering my
gmail account... I thought nothing about it because usually after clicking the "spam" button
the spam returns to where it should the spam folder.
But the button seem to no longer have any effect the spam keep increasing.

Then I saw this story.
Google claims drop-off in Gmail spam
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2204778/spam-levelling-claims-google

That got me worried so I decided to check all my system logs.
Firewall, proxy, web server, security server and packet shaper.

The log from the packet shaper showed me what was going on.
Looks as if some ass had hack my wireless access point and was using it as a relay for sending spam.
When the spam bounced I would get the bounce in my mail account.
What worries me more is that I just upgraded the firmware with offical Linksys code and it still got hacked.

I just pulled off my network my linksys wrt54g and replaced it with a D-Link DIR-655
it the second most highly rated and it has built-in all the Qos feature you need when you have
Torrents and gamers on the same network.

The number one router is from Buffalo but you cant get them right now.

http://www.buffalotech.com/press/releases/buffalo-issues-a-statement-about-the-csiro-appeal/
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby thejynxed » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:13 am

I use a WRT54GL v 1.1 flashed with Firmware Version: v4.71.1, Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c .

Rock solid. I use Conntrack settings of 2048 with a 600 timeout. The higher 4096 is really only useful if you have a really fat upload pipe (namely, greater than 10MB/s up).

As far as hacking your WAP, try combining wireless MAC filtering along with a stronger password, disabling the ttfp via wireless option in the settings and using a better encryption key and stronger encryption (RADIUS ftw).

The vulnerability he probably got you through is being able to ttfp into the router, it's really trivial with even a novice level of PuTTy + Wireshark knowledge and a good guess at your password. Hint: the DLink is vulnerable to the same issue.

Another setting that was fun to play with under my firmware version (for added security): Static DHCP and setting the max DHCP users to a custom number. I assigned all networked devices on my LAN a static DHCP address and DNS name in the router (this combines with filtered MAC address), and then set the max allowed assigned DHCP addresses to the total amount of assigned networked devices on my network. I then created IPTables rules to drop certain traffic types, etc and voila. Good luck connecting to my router via tftp or any other means if you aren't on my LAN already (setting up the rules was the hardest bit, and some Googling sorted that all out).
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion