Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Fixing the story submissions

Post your comments and suggestions here
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Fixing the story submissions

Postby thejynxed » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:24 am

There are several valid and useful characters blocked by the new story submissions form:

+ - (plus and minus) " (double quotes) and ` (and the opposite accent grave mark) for instance. Not to mention, several foreign character sets need to be added in to properly spell the names of individuals and entities outside of the United States.

For instance, trying to spell Piratebyrån properly.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Re: Fixing the story submissions

Postby IceCube » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:05 am

Yeah, sorry about that. For now, the suggestion is to replace double quotes to single quotes. As for the accented characters, etc. Replace 'Piratebyrån' with 'Piratebryan' for now.

A few characters aren't allowed currently in the synopsis and comments. The system is still new and will have several kinks to work out. I wasn't aware of some of these characters not working, so those might get first if any characters finally become included real soon.

The good news is that we were able to get '+' signs into URL's and, I'd imagine, just about any character found in a URL will work for now. Hang tight with some of these issues for now, sorry for the inconvenience.
IceCube

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:20 am

Noticed quite a few issues with the way charachters are handled with submissions - the most common is with the use of apostrophes. I've found if a particular field wont validate, I simply delete and replace all apostrophes and then it seems to validate fine. Odd indeed.
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby IceCube » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:35 am

Hmm, strange. Is this with the comments field or the URL field? I personally havn't had problem's with t'he apos'trophe's m'ys'el''f''''.
IceCube

Postby thejynxed » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:16 am

It's not an issue in the regular comments field in the normal forum threads. It's a bug in the story submission fields, the same quirky behavior affects those fields, but not normal forum threads. Also, one other thing I noticed: it says you can put up to 4 paragraphs, it's really more like 4 sentences (check out my recent submission in the queue). I tried 4 paragraphs but it was a no-go.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby SlyckRay » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:02 am

hi all, sorry about the headaches... i have worked on this already, but i'll be finishing tonight... the main problem i have found out is the character set that mysql is using. once i change that, i can change the programming to be more accommodating.
SlyckRay

Postby thejynxed » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:51 pm

Gracias Senor Ray :D
thejynxed

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:44 pm

IceCube wrote:Hmm, strange. Is this with the comments field or the URL field? I personally havn't had problem's with t'he apos'trophe's m'ys'el''f''''.

All fields Icey - try copying a story from TorrentFrek as an example. For some reason the apostrophes used there cause issues.
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby IceCube » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:30 am

Gotcha, if Ray hasn't noted this by now, I'm sure he has by now. :)
IceCube

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:44 am

One more thing (I'm sure Ray knows already), is you can't actually use the enter key when submitting multiple paragraphs (as it returns a validation error).
piXelatedEmpire

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:24 pm

to whom it may concern: please bear with us while the submission process is under construction. atm, non-jedi submissions are unable to be processed. we hope to have that working shortly. until then, we appreciate your patience, and keep the submissions coming please :)
MrFredPFL

Re: Fixing the story submissions + DONATIONS Possibilities ?

Postby b8a » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:00 pm

News item Submissions Problems ive noticed: for last 2-3 weeks

1st step : Enterring URL

i enter a URL for newstory -- then ,upon first click on the CONTINUE button
i get system reply : " user not permitted to submit .. "
but if i click CONTINUE a second time .. its DOES continue thru.

2nd step : headline
3rd step : source

never any problems

4th step : enter excerpts from story

maybe i got to work ONCE ... 2 weeks ago with ONE line

but now 100% of time i get the 'punctuation exception ...." error reply
even when i strip ALL punctuation out of lines ... even periods, question marks, hyphens etc.
( perhaps WOULD be ok if only ONE line was enterred .. i havnet tried that option recently)

5th step: enter user comments

still get 'punctuation exception... reply unless i strip all punction
AND iff i only use 1 paragraph

6th step: Choose News type : File Sharing or Tech News

Today when i enterred Tech News option.. it appears in the menu box but then the SUBMIT button wasnt present.
Only when i chose the File Sharing option did the submit button appear and i was able to finish the process.

Thats it .... just FYI ...
happy debugging .. ive been there myself ... o.. the joys ... o the hours !!!! :-)))

ahhh... but then when it WORKS ... heyyy.. its better than sex !! ( is why i luv programming - delayed pleasures :-))

thanks again so much for such a wonderful site here
we all appreciate all the HOURS AND HOURS we know you put in ...

:) reminds me to go find that DONATION menu option that was on the previous menu options here ..
is it still here ? im fairly new to slyck but would like to help out . ( i never saved the info from last slyck webpage)

[1 minute later::] ok .. i just took a quick look ... didnt see any obvious place where donation info might be now ?

i dunno whether to just PM Mr. Fred and i understand your dedication to the Scene and its unwritten rules..
yet adults who understand and can ... should help out ... free lunches and sites still cost the operators $$.

May i submit a 'newstory' question on this ? Thing is .. dunno how many people read THIS forum "tell us what u think"
( hehe.. i never have until now -until looking to see if anyone else was having problems submitting ..
heck -i thought it was a firewall problem in MY end ) .

Leaving us a Top Menu item or Sticky Info item on -where and how to donate- somewhere on SLYCK
would probably be best Permanent solution..so ALL Slyck Users could see the Info .

Or i could submit in the File Sharing Forum a request for this information and my own (unofficial) encouragement
for All users to consider giving back to Slyck for value/content received over the years.

Else , PM me ,when u have time , or send donation info to my registered email - but i only check that email addy 1xWeek) ( note: i'd prob use paypal .. but could also send chek or other form )

anyway ... once again ... just trying to say .. THANKS.

ps:( i understand that tax and/or other consequences or attentions may be why you would discourage this ? ).
b8a

Postby thejynxed » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:26 pm

Any news guys?

Still having major issues with story submissions, only this time the user comment field is affected as well.
thejynxed

Postby ntscuser » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:36 pm

Yes I'm trying to submit a story about Vista and keep being told it contains illegal chartacters. Even if I shorten the quotation till there's hardly anything left it still tells me there are illegal characters and refuses to process any further?
ntscuser

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:48 pm

sorry, folks. i wish i had any answers for you, but i don't. all i can do is ask again for your patience :?
MrFredPFL

Postby multivariable » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:02 pm

People could always PM their submissions to their (least?) favourite Jedi :wink:
multivariable

Postby IceCube » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:01 pm

I suppose that would work.
IceCube

Postby SlyckRay » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:26 pm

i'll try to get these issues sorted out tonight.
SlyckRay

Postby SlyckRay » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:38 pm

good news, our approval process has finally been finished and we are all good for approving any news submitted. :lol:

I sincerely apologize for the lengthy delay and for the submissions that were waiting for approval and never got published. Recent submissions will still be approved (within the last week) but earlier submissions are not.

I'll be making more changes to the form tonight to fix the character prohibitions and make it a smoother all around process.

Ray
SlyckRay

Return to Tell us what you think