Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Best Usenet-provider

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby Anonymous » Tue May 11, 2004 10:39 am

newshosting.com - started offering unlimited accounts at the start of the month - capped at 2mbit (easily maxing my 1mbit) - great retention and completetion - $14.95

No problems so far ;)
Anonymous

Best Usenet Provider

Postby jml255 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:48 pm

I use http://www.notoriousnews.com. They max out my connection and have 98% completion. They also have great accounts that do not have daily limits. 8 max connections, payments through paypal, and great email support.
jml255

Got to be Eeasynews

Postby mert » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:49 pm

Easynews is now 10Gigs of downloads for $10 per month. Plus another 500mb per week if you answer their Questionnaire. Use a download manger like DAP 7.0 to get the fastest speeds, i can download from Easynews at 3mbit without a problem.
mert

Postby hapworth » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:02 pm

Yeah, I too just noticed that Easynews bumped up their admittedly small 6 gig/mo/$9.98 plan to 10 gig/mo/$9.98. This is a smart move, as I had signed up for easynews back when it was 6 gigs per month. I was thinking of switching to Newshosting, but now Easynews is keeping pace. There are surveys/projects you can complete with Easynews that bump your gigs per month up to 14. I have no need (not yet) for an unlimited account, so 14 gigs for ten buckes sounds pretty good to me. Better yet, my account currently reflects the new plan/pricing, even though I signed up before the change.

I like Easynews a lot, although I find their web-based search tool a bit impractical. I've followed Tef's advice and purchased 32 weeks of Newzbin's service (25 cents per week); this has made searching for Usenet files a snap.

Hapworth 16, 1924
hapworth

Postby Imagenyuss » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:53 pm

asdfasdfasdfasdf
Last edited by Imagenyuss on Wed May 21, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagenyuss

Postby benny » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:01 pm

Best newsgroup provider (for unlimeted downloading)at the moment is newshosting, second i would say is astraweb and third probably usenet server.
For fills i would get an easynews account although I doubt you would need one with a newshosting account as their retention is so great. 8)
benny

Postby Imagenyuss » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:00 am

Unfortunately, retention is currently quite short. We had been working on an issue with the software company, but they are unable to correct the issue in the current build. They are working on a new project that will be more robust, but it will be some time before this is received.
In the mean time, we have taken steps to counter what we were seeing, but this has shortened retention to 2-4 days. Once the software is received and online, it should stabilize around 12-15 days.

I have setup a test account, in case we could be of service in the mean time.
Your username and password are as follows:

Username: *****
Password: *********

Please use News.100ProofNews.com as the news server name. For setup info, please refer to http://www.100ProofNews.com/setup.htm

If we do not currently meet your needs, I would be glad to setup another test account once the new software is received.

Thank you,
Stuart Hahn
100 Proof News
http://www.100ProofNews.com/signup.htm

At 04:10 PM 6/9/04 -0500, you wrote:
>>>>
how is retention for 100proofnews for binary newsgroups? for text?
I didn't see any statistics reguarding this on you web page; thanks.
-micah

<<<<
I've blotted out the user name and password, of course, but this is what 100proofnews said (my origenal eMail is at the bottom the quoted section). heh, got a trial account and didn't even ask for it.... just letting you guys now.
Imagenyuss

Postby FlyCat » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 pm

I took them up on their offer and the speed was nice. My downloads topped out at +550KBs, however the article count was quite low due to the retention I assume.

Might be worth a look when their probs are worked out.
FlyCat

Postby EE2000 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:34 pm

This is my personal review on providers I have used:

Usenetserver - Unlimited package is nice, but their retention was only a few days. The speed and completion were pretty good. Their dependability sways pretty often though, sometimes they're great and sometimes they stink
Overall: B-

Giganews - Great overall provider: speed, completion, retention, etc. But their pricing makes them expensive compared to other similar providers.
Overall: A-

Newsguy - Another great provider and with a web interface. Their speed and completion is a little lower than some of the other providers but their pricing makes up for it.
Overall: A-

Easynews - One of the best, they have it all! Only minor downside is cost/GB. You can earn free downloads with surveys and using the grid program, and their web interface is one of the very best.
Overall: A

TitanNews - Great provider (but crappy webpage). Speed, Completion and retention are amazing. Cost is also one of the cheapest per GB of any provider. I bought a 100GB/year block which is cheap for a main provider or to be used as a back up to an unlimited provider. If they had a web interface and a better webpage they would be the best.
Overall: A
EE2000

Postby Anonymous » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:24 pm

Usenetserver's retention is a little better now - around 12-14 days on most major groups, but still unstable, during congested times, for me when I used them just over a month ago.
Anonymous

Postby FlyCat » Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:47 pm

Signed on with Newshosting last week. They only allow 4 connections but I'm getting +700KB/s. I haven't noticed any problems with retention, but ever since I've started using Newzbin I've yet to d/l headers :)
FlyCat

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:55 pm

Yep, they're good. I've been using Newzbin & Newshosting for a while too now (thanks to tef's recommendation) and haven't had the need to download headers since. I find http://alt.binaries.nl is good too for looking for fills or individual files.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Anonymous » Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:58 pm

Personally I can't believe I did something right for a change lol - glad you two are having as much fun as me :)
Anonymous

Postby Demonger » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:09 am

I've tried several other services, but the best one I've found is Buzzardnews.com. They have great retention, and rarely do I find a missing piece that is not reposted in a timely manner. Plus I'm on the 1.5gb/day at $6.95 per month. They have larger accounts, but I've not seen it throttle back, and I've gotten well over 1.5 gb in a 24 hr period. It allows multiple feeds as well.

Give them a look.
Demonger

Postby HouseCrowd » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:43 am

Demonger wrote:I've tried several other services, but the best one I've found is Buzzardnews.com. They have great retention, and rarely do I find a missing piece that is not reposted in a timely manner. Plus I'm on the 1.5gb/day at $6.95 per month. They have larger accounts, but I've not seen it throttle back, and I've gotten well over 1.5 gb in a 24 hr period. It allows multiple feeds as well.

Give them a look.

Yeah, they look pretty good!!

I've just checked their retention for alt.binaries.dvd, which they're claiming is 15 days! ... not bad for $6.95 per month per 1.5GB per day!

What about down-time? Are they pretty reliable?
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:33 am

They're a reseller for Usenetserver by the looks of it so hopefully they should be pretty good. A friend of mine just signed up to the unlimited plan at buzzard because it looked like the best option for an nsp that accepts Pay Pal - fingers crossed for him 8)
Anonymous

Postby lakshyt » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:28 pm

ive heard alot of bad things about Usenetserver...
lakshyt

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:40 pm

Some people have no problems at all, but in my case the speed would periodically drop to zero fairly regularly - stability was an issue during congested periods.

Support said they would correct the problem but up until I left they hadn't.
Anonymous

Postby hapworth » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:12 pm

Well, I just signed up with Buzzardnews.com, and I'll let you know how it goes. I was happy with my two months at Easynews, but, okay, I admit it: I need more than 10 Gig per month. Also, I kept filling out the Easynews surveys that promised an extra 2 Gigs per month, but this month for some reason I never received them. I could have complained, I guess, but I decided to try elsewhere.

Buzzardnews resells Usenetserver, and although I've heard bad things about Usenetserver, according to their Web site, they've ironed out their problems. I know, I know, we'll see. But for 1.5 Gig per day for $6.95 per month, how can I not give it a try? Since I have a wimpy 512/128 connection, maybe I won't even notice the slowdowns that power users feel. :-)

In time, maybe I'll have to sign up with Newshosting's unlimited account, but, not to sound like El Cheapo, I already pay 70 Euros a month (I'm an American living in Spain) for my wimpy ADSL, and the extra $15 a month is just too expensive a treat for my download addiction.

Anyway, I'll report back on Buzzardnews to let folks know whether their service is worthy or, you know, worthy of buzzards. :-)

Hapworth 16, 1924
hapworth

Postby miner » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:42 pm

i am using buzzardnews.com right now but i find the 1.5 GB cap a bit annoying as i can download at 160 KB/s. i am downloading a huge file right now. i had to stop at 4 pm and i can't resume it until midnight.
miner

Postby hapworth » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:54 am

i am using buzzardnews.com right now but i find the 1.5 GB cap a bit annoying as i can download at 160 KB/s. i am downloading a huge file right now. i had to stop at 4 pm and i can't resume it until midnight.

Yeah, I thought about this, but 1.5 Gig translates to 40 Gigs per month for $6.95. I thought about the 20 Gigs per month for $6.95 option, but why pay the same price for less? The cap could be potentially annoying, but I haven't found another provider this cheap.

I did notice that speed seemed to fluctuate much more with Buzzard than Easynews, but my sample size (one short download) might be too small. My connection maxes out aroung 50-52 kbps, but I found that my download oscilated between 37 and 50. I'll be patient for a month. Again, for 40 Gigs/$6.95, I might have to tolerate small downsides.

Hapworth 16, 1924
hapworth

Postby miner » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:04 am

my patience reached its breaking point 2 hours ago and i signed up with newshosting.com. i was getting extremely poor completion with a large file and poor speeds with this file through buzzardnews.com. now the speed is maxed out and the chunks that had previously failed are now completing.
miner

Postby hapworth » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:38 pm

Well, after three days with Buzzardnews.com, I can't really recommend it (nor can I recommend, by default, Usenetserver.com). Completion was okay, and retention also looked good. Speed is incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes you'll hit your max speed, and sometimes your speed will drop to half its potential. I'll be looking elsewhere, perhaps TitanNews (which resells Newshosting) or Newsguy.

Hapworth 16 1924
hapworth

Postby puzzlepants » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:35 am

Guess I'm chiming in a bit late here, but I really like my ISP's news server. It has great retention and it allows me 4 connections of 50 KB/s each, with unlimited speeds for updating the headers.

Yea maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't use nzb files and I kinda enjoy watching my connection max out for a little while when I'm updating the headers :mrgreen:

I have Cox and their servers are just fine for me. My advice to any Cox user, don't spend the extra money on a subscription to a service, just use Cox's. I don't even pay anything thanks to the parents :)
puzzlepants

Postby johngalt » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:53 am

I use Comcast, and it allows at least 8 (and quite possibly more - I was downloading with GrabIt the other day, all 8 going full speed at around 400-420 KB/s) and then fired up agent and started "reading" some of the freeware groups....grabi't barely slowed, I think it hit 398 at one point, and no authentication errors - so that means that, at least for now, I can use at least 9, if not more, threads....

I am I.
johngalt

PreviousNext

Return to NewsGroups