Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Morpheus 5.4 filters out unauthorized content

Discussion of the Gnutella network and the Gnutella clients such as Gnucleus, XoloX, Shareaza, LimeWire and BearShare
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Morpheus 5.4 filters out unauthorized content

Postby kjf2 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:34 am

One of morpheus´ new features:

"Alerts indicating files that may not be authorized for download (note: database and accuracy incomplete - not fail proof)" (from http://www.morpheus.com).

Morpheus no longer downloads any files that are detected as unauthorized, but it takes the user to ebay´s website instead.

From their faq:

"Does Morpheus filter out copyrighted files from being downloaded?

While some files you find with Morpheus are free and authorized for download, some files are not. When you click to download a file that might not be authorized for free downloading, you might be directed to a website, such as amazon.com or buy.com, where you might be able to sample and/or purchase or license the file from or through that web-site. After you click one of these files, it will appear red in the search results. The red mark will remain for the current session only. These pop-ups are temporary. We anticipate that in the near future content that is not yet authorized for downloading will be authorized by the copyright holders for downloading either for free, as a piece of sponsored or promotional content, or for purchase or licensing. While the database and accuracy for determining whether files are not authorized by copyright holders for free downloading is improving, Morpheus disclaims any warranty about any part of this process. See, also Disclaimer of Warranties Limitation of Liabilities, Governing Law (http://www.morpheus.com/notices.asp).

[edit]What the is wrong with Morpheus?
There is a new Morpheus™ on its way. We are preparing to provide more tools than ever before for our users to discover, share, and enjoy the world’s largest collection of media and the ability to connect with new friends locally or globally. Here are some of the features currently being planned for the new Morpheus v6 featuring “Social Media.”

FREE‡ music and videos for downloading and sharing, authorized by the creators so there will be NO THREAT OF LAWSUITS to users, including a new showcase for indie music, films & videos that you won’t find on FM radio or TV
Instant uploading & sharing of your own user generated content to your friends or the world – through Morpheus or to your favorite social networking sites – AND NO LIMITS to the number or size of your files!
The return of our social networking functions to make it easy to discover and connect with other users that like what you like
TO MAKE THIS CHANGE, WE HAVE AGREED TO THE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY’S REQUEST TO FILTER OUT CONTENT THAT IS NOT AUTHORIZED BY THEM FOR SHARING:

While our filtering efforts still are not fail-proof (http://www.morpheus.com/notices.asp), you should not be able to download the files that appear red when clicked in your search results as this indicates that these files have not yet been authorized for downloading.

Our goal is to replace these unauthorized files with authorized files that you can download and share with other Morpheus users with the consent of the copyright holders. So please bear with us during this transition so we can make this dream a reality very soon for everyone.

In the meantime, there are still plenty of files authorized by the creator for downloading and sharing‡ (http://www.morpheus.com/notices.asp). We are featuring some of the better ones on the Morpheus Online tab in your client. Morpheus Online is the place where you will find all the new changes as they become available. Don’t forget to visit Morpheus Forums where you can find the latest news on what’s happening here at Morpheus.

We are sorry for this inconvenience and thank you for staying a loyal Morpheus user."
kjf2

Postby Fartingbob » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:24 pm

If anybody used it still this would be an outrage!
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby SwordOfZork » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:26 pm

Remember that thread where some morpheous spokesperson was trying to convince everyone to use the program, despite them slashing features and limiting functionality like this? That sure was a funny one...
SwordOfZork

Postby GraphiX » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:42 pm

lets see...

remove all the reasons that p2p is created for put and place restrictions
on what you can do with this shit

anyone know what the point of this useless app is for now? i can't see a single use for it.
GraphiX

Postby Andu » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:48 pm

Hm and here was I thinking that Morpheus was basically dead after they left FT.
Andu

Postby Fartingbob » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:51 pm

Andu wrote:Hm and here was I thinking that Morpheus was basically dead after they left FT.

You know something is bad when it manages to get worse AFTER being banned from the fasttrack network.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby zbeast » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:54 pm

I was waiting for someone else to chime in first about how silly it would be to willingly use a P2P application that has filtering running on it.

The only cool Idea that's part of that application is the automatic ebay search.
Well not cool for the users but cool for the writers of morpheous.

If they doing what I think they doing.
When the morpheous client preforms a refer to ebay it sticks there affiliate code on that search.
This so ebay knows that search request is coming from morpheous.

If the user then decides to buy that item through ebay, morpheous gets a precentage of the ebays fees for that purchase.
The percentage varies depending on how much business you've driven to ebay each month. So over $1,000 in business (in terms of how much they would have made), you get around 40% of the money.

So ya, sign me up for a p2p application that blocks my downloads and pops open a windows to sites to buy crap.

/sarcasm
Last edited by zbeast on Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby GraphiX » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:27 pm

what makes me wanna scream and bite my own limbs off is if you head over to their forums every single page is

ITS RED!!!! it wont download its broken help me!

why can't i download i want to DOWNLOAD!!! but its all in red and coming up with some stupid copytight notice is it a virus or a bug?

these people who's so stoooopid to not understand what a copyrighted file is shouldn't
be allowed to own a pc infact let alone near a PC EVER!

God help them the first time or day they encounter DRM
GraphiX

Re: Morpheus 5.4 filters out unauthorized content

Postby sonnentier » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:53 pm

Get Morpheus Ultra 5.1.1 or similar, with the loader and some tweaking it's very good ;)
sonnentier

Postby Neglacio » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:38 pm

Get Shareaza or Gnucleus if you want the Gnutella/G2 combo...
Neglacio

Postby sonnentier » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:26 pm

Neglacio wrote:Get Shareaza or Gnucleus if you want the Gnutella/G2 combo...

True, what I like in Morpheus is its own NeoNet, I try to disable the use of GnucDNA as good as I can :P
sonnentier

Return to Gnutella