Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

A private P2P network for you lovely forumites

Discuss any general File-Sharing Topic or Issue

Please use the relevant forum below for non file-sharing issues or questions about a specific program or network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby in_hiding » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:53 pm

I wonder...

Even tho MetaMachine is dead & buried, I wonder if you could still use Kdrive for a private filesharing group.

That is, if anyone could get hold of the clients. OldVersion & OldApps don't have it.

Holy cr@p! I managed to get it from the Wayback Machine!

Last preserved Kdrive.com download page, listing version 0.30

And more here:
http://web.archive.org/web/*sr_121nr_10 ... rnet.com/*
(Sorry, you'll have to copy & paste rather than click)

Snagged the Windows versions, but they don't store the Mac version (even tho it´s linked on that dl page), and the linux one is nowhere to be seen.

Anyone got Kdrive for those other platforms?
in_hiding

Postby Steely2 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:36 pm

Just found this thread. Can anyone prevent me from reading through the whole Alliance forums and answer a single question:

When setting up a private Network with friends, does one of us have to be online 24/7 with a static IP, so the others can find their "way home", or does it work also if everyone has dynamic IPs?

TIA

S.
Steely2

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:33 pm

for any process which requires an ip address, you can always get a free dynamic DNS address from a place like http://www.dyndns.com - then you just use your DNS, rather than your ip address, to connect to. there are lots of client programs that you can use to automatically update your ip with dyndns so that even when it changes, your friends are still directed to you. if you're interested and can't get it working yourself, i'll be happy to give you a more detailed explanation. :)
MrFredPFL

Postby Steely2 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:51 pm

Hi!

Thanks for the fast reply! This DNS thing sounds interesting :D

MrFredPFL wrote:if you're interested and can't get it working yourself, i'll be happy to give you a more detailed explanation. :)

You shouldn´t have said that - as I´m not a tech guy, I will for sure make use of this offer :twisted:

Now, all I have to do is to find friends who will trust me - LOL!

Thanks, Man!

S.
Steely2

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:06 pm

ok - step one:
go to http://www.dyndns.com and create a user account. while you do that, i'll take a quick look at the site to refresh my memory about where to go next ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby king8654 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:12 pm

Yah dyndns is a good site, used to it get a dns for my DC hub at univ last year. As posted earlier, Im down for anything involving us Slyckites getting together somehow online.
"Pirating when its legal is like getting a vasectomy. Its not fun without the venom."
http://www.myweddingisover.com - Wedding/Relationship Based Auction Site
king8654

Postby Steely2 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:21 pm

Don´t hurry, please! I didn´t mean NOW :shock:

No, seriously, it´s 4 AM here and I have matches between the eyelids. later this day I will see which german sites I can found about dyndns (as my poor english is my biggest problem) and t.h.e.n I will have questions :wink:

So, thanks and good night any- and everybody.

S.
Steely2

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:23 pm

ok - once you have an account and have logged in, go to the services section, and then "dynamic dns" then "add host".

you'll see a set of boxes - at the top is a text box with a pulldown box next to it on the right. the hostname will have 3 parts - like http://www.slyck.com
the first part is something you can choose to your heart's content - the last two are from dyndns, but they have a LARGE selection to pick from. in other words, it will be in the form myname.theirdomain.theirTLD. make up a name, choose a domain and TLD from the pulldownlist, and submit it. now that name is yours. the software there will attempt to identify your current ip address. once you've got your personal DNS setup, you can then use one of the many listed automatic update clients to keep your ip address current with them even when it changes :)

as for friends who trust you - you're on your own there ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby king8654 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:30 pm

Wait what is the dns for? a DC hub?
"Pirating when its legal is like getting a vasectomy. Its not fun without the venom."
http://www.myweddingisover.com - Wedding/Relationship Based Auction Site
king8654

Postby Steely2 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:30 pm

Well, with a bit of reading and the brief how-to I managed to get a dyndns account and Alliance up and running. I am again ashamed by seeing what a bloody tech-noob I am :oops: as I found a lot of infos along the way about ongoing trends and developments.

Now to the last step. Is anyone willing and has the time to make a simple 2-person-Allaince-Network with me, just for testing wether I have configured anything correct. You can delete me after the test.

I will be around for some time ;-)

TIA

S.
Steely2

Postby Asuran » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:03 pm

Since alliance has a somewhat unorthodox method to automatically form an access code from the numerical ip and port it could be that all that dyndns stuff was for nothing.
Asuran

Postby Steely2 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:01 pm

Asuran wrote:it could be that all that dyndns stuff was for nothing.

Well, as far I understood, this is necessary, IF and WHEN I have my own net with friends, as long as I get a new IP every time I go online, to get found by them.

Is this wrong? Man, I am really a tech-idiot :oops:

S.
Steely2

Postby Asuran » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:34 am

Steely2 wrote:Well, as far I understood, this is necessary, IF and WHEN I have my own net with friends, as long as I get a new IP every time I go online, to get found by them.

Is this wrong? Man, I am really a tech-idiot :oops:

S.

Typically it would be like that. The thing is that you can't give Alliance an address or ip to connect to. Instead, you select 'invite a friend' and Alliance will automatically form a connection code from your IP, port, and a random number that you'd then give to your friend. So at no point you really get to give your dyndns address. I think.
Asuran

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:18 am

if that turns out to be the case, he can use the dynamic DNS once he selects some program other than alliance which isn't totally user-UNfriendly to people with dynamic IP addresses, which as far as i know are still the majority of users ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby WarezNewz » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:37 am

I apologize in advance if I offend anyone but I find it totally hilarious how after 3 pages of discussion between the elite on the internet's premier file-sharing forum, no-one has managed to share a single file, copyrighted or otherwise with anyone else as a result of this thread :lol:
WarezNewz

Postby Steely2 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:11 pm

WarezNewz wrote:I apologize in advance if I offend anyone

See, I am mostly lurking around here and have not much to give due to my restricted english, but I have a vote, do I? If anybody here has to apologize for saying loud what he thinks, I have surely choosen the wrong community. However, I do not expect that anyone here is dumb enough to exchange some informations publicly - so, whatever happens, it shouldn´t be POSTED :wink:

Anyway, back to business. I am really interested in getting this darknet thing up and running. So, if Alliance is not good against dynamic IPs, what else do you recommend? I have found i a german forum four more apps, but they seem to be dead/abandoned or still in early beta stadium.

S.
Steely2

Postby Asuran » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:34 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:if that turns out to be the case, he can use the dynamic DNS once he selects some program other than alliance which isn't totally user-UNfriendly to people with dynamic IP addresses, which as far as i know are still the majority of users ;)

Partly true, but there really aren't that many decentralized private network applications out there. Alliance has very slick UI all in all, admitted the connection method is somewhat unusual.
Asuran

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:49 pm

:lol:

a slick UI is nice, but not when the application itself won't handle your needs ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby Asuran » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:04 pm

MrFredPFL wrote::lol:

a slick UI is nice, but not when the application itself won't handle your needs ;)

Well, personally I've been able to keep dynamic ip the same for months in a row, how big of a problem it would really be? Alliance can work as long as someone in the network has the same ip as previously, I believe. It will broadcast the changed ips when you log back in.
Asuran

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:40 pm

if keeping the same dynamic ip address for months in a row applies to steely as well, then i concede your point. however, i suspect it does not apply ;)
MrFredPFL

Previous

Return to General File-Sharing Discussion