Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Cox Newsgroup Support

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby puzzlepants » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:57 pm

Last time I checked (which was a few hours ago) all of the Cox servers (beta or otherwise) were working and accessible. I may be going crazy but they worked but me.
puzzlepants

Postby skulls » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:13 am

Yea, cox servers are working just fine for me, but there was a small bit of downtime last night. I couldn't connect to my newshosting account either so it was probably something at highwinds.

Is there any page to check your cap? Like how much of said quota has been used? I've tried searching cox's site, but honestly its a POS. But at least its fast.... :roll:
skulls

Postby puzzlepants » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:48 am

There's no page that I know of to check how much you've downloaded (from newsgroups or otherwise). Fortunately 99.9% of the time you shouldn't need this. Unless you've got the premium package and you're pulling about 1 TB per month then I wouldn't worry. Cox is very leniant when it comes to their caps and if the time comes when you should be downloading less, Cox will issue a warning first before disconnecting you.
puzzlepants

Great thread... thnx for all the Cox info...

Postby niobium8 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:14 am

...but I'm having problems with connecting to cox... it's intermediate at best... one connection... and when I try 3 or 4 usually only one stays connected. The other give a "Unable to connect to news.west.cox.net:119|502 Maximum numbers of connections reached. (Tornado v1.0.6.380)" or "Error while selecting group" and thats using one thread connection only.

I've tried grabit and newsrover so for, which have both been useful apps in the past.

Any ideas on what I can try?
niobium8

Postby puzzlepants » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:20 am

Those kinds of things happen from time to time. There's really nothing you can do unfortunately but wait.
puzzlepants

Postby LANjackal » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:13 am

Happens to me too. What to say? It's free 30 - 70 day retention anyway ;)
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby moober2 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:47 am

It appears to be a Highwinds problem as it's occuring with Usenet-News as well, no more than a few connections at a time if any.
moober2

Postby contentryder » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:12 pm

so you are saying that I can only use one of the following cox servers?

news.east.cox.net <what I am using>
news.west.cox.net <Unable to connect - Maximum numbers of connections reached>
newsbeta.east.cox.net (test server) <Unable to connect - Maximum numbers of connections reached>

newsbeta.west.cox.net (test server) <Unable to connect - Maximum numbers of connections reached>
contentryder

Postby skulls » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:44 pm

I'm having conncection problems as well.

However, slightly off topic, but a while back i had problem connecting to the cox servers and usenet-news servers simultaneously. It appears that if you connect to cox (using all 4 connections) and then try Usenet-news, it will not allow any usenet-news connections because of the way they have it set up. Since you don't have any login information for cox, it just marks your ip as cox and all connections will go to the cox server.

However, if you do it in reverse order (usenet-news and then cox) you should be able to connect to both.

Just a heads up for anyone who runs into the same problem I did.
skulls

Postby contentryder » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:05 pm

news.east.cox.net and news.west.cox.net only work for me...the other two beta servers don't work...
contentryder

6 Connections!

Postby LANjackal » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:55 am

So, I just started imported some NZBs into Klibido on my Xubuntu laptop and noticed I was getting 6 concurrent connections, 3 per server, with a maximum observed speed of 69KB/s on each (not simultaneously, and not on all connections). No change in top speed, however. Anyone else getting this? Is this just a fluke due to low traffic (New Year's effect and all), or a permanent change? Just wondering...

contentryder wrote:news.east.cox.net and news.west.cox.net only work for me...the other two beta servers don't work...

Same here for me.
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby puzzlepants » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:01 am

LANJackal: I don't really use Cox newsgroups anymore but I would guess that'll last at least for a little while if not permanently. Cox no longer allows you to connect to both servers at the same time using 4 connections to each but I guess it does let you do 3 to each.

Everybody else: The beta servers are gone as far as I know. I'll get around to editing my post eventually ;)
puzzlepants

Idle connections

Postby LANjackal » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:34 pm

I'm using Klibido running on Xubuntu to download some stuff from Cox's newsservers.

However, sometimes all connections go idle for no reason I can think of. I've tried restarting Klibido, to no effect. At the same time, the downloads aren't failing, so I guess that means the files are on the server. But nothing's happening.

The last time this happened, I just left Klibido running and everything downloaded overnight.

Anyone else have the same experience? Is this a measure by Cox to reduce bandwidth load, or... ? Just wondering.
LANjackal

Postby keypox » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:52 pm

what reader can i use for cox? I having been using newsbin demo and it is up

I have tried a couple others and they all seems really slow?
keypox

Postby LANjackal » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:13 pm

keypox wrote:what reader can i use for cox? I having been using newsbin demo and it is up

Cox isn't a fast provider. NewsLeecher is the best client for Windows, but IMO the BEST client out there is Klibido (Linux only), period.

Basically all you need with a newsreader is support for NZBs, multiple servers and multiple connections to each server. Any other feature is easily gotten from another free program that's probably better at that task than the news client itself.
LANjackal

Postby keypox » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:41 pm

LANjackal wrote:
keypox wrote:what reader can i use for cox? I having been using newsbin demo and it is up

Cox isn't a fast provider. NewsLeecher is the best client for Windows, but IMO the BEST client out there is Klibido (Linux only), period.

Basically all you need with a newsreader is support for NZBs, multiple servers and multiple connections to each server. Any other feature is easily gotten from another free program that's probably better at that task than the news client itself.

I think i know my problem i dont use NZBs? I just connect to the group and download all the headers is this not the best way of finding stuff/ using newsgroups? tia
keypox

Postby LANjackal » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:56 pm

keypox wrote:I think i know my problem i dont use NZBs? I just connect to the group and download all the headers is this not the best way of finding stuff/ using newsgroups? tia

See here:

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

Depends on what kind of stuff you're trying to find. If you're looking for binaries, NZBs are definitely the easiest way to go, period.
LANjackal

Postby keypox » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:20 pm

hey thanks man that was alot easier i ... now i will try some other readers with these... which is best for windows vista?
keypox

Postby LANjackal » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:48 pm

keypox wrote:hey thanks man that was alot easier i ... now i will try some other readers with these... which is best for windows vista?

I don't know about Vista specifically, but since NewsLeecher is the most actively developed client I know of (period), it would probably be your best choice.
LANjackal

Postby keypox » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:01 pm

LANjackal wrote:
keypox wrote:hey thanks man that was alot easier i ... now i will try some other readers with these... which is best for windows vista?

I don't know about Vista specifically, but since NewsLeecher is the most actively developed client I know of (period), it would probably be your best choice.

hey sweet now the problem is what to download lol
keypox

Postby LANjackal » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:00 pm

keypox wrote:
LANjackal wrote:

hey sweet now the problem is what to download lol

Cox claims to have 30 day retention, but the real number is actually near 70 (yes, this is one of those vanishingly rare deals in life where you get a LOT more than you thought). See the thread about NZB sites to find content.

Enjoy. Just don't get too crazy about it or you'll be buying a new HDD every 30 days or so. I'm serious.
LANjackal

Postby keypox » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:36 am

Ok cool one i have been using one of the sites and when i create nzb from a set that has all the files including pars it only loads up the rars and leaves all the pars out and i have to manually make a new nzb for every the pars i need. Can i fix this?
keypox

Postby LANjackal » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:52 am

keypox wrote:Ok cool one i have been using one of the sites and when i create nzb from a set that has all the files including pars it only loads up the rars and leaves all the pars out and i have to manually make a new nzb for every the pars i need. Can i fix this?

That's odd. Several ideas:

1 - What site are you using? try alt.binaries.nl, NZBmatrix, or NZBchat to see if you still have problems. Sounds like an issue with the NZB generation on the site's side

2 - Check your options to ensure that you're not discarding PARs (though I've never heard of that happening)

3 - Otherwise, there should be a tab in your newsreader that shows which files in the queue failed to download. If the PAR files are there, it probably means that they're just not on the newsserver so you're SOL
LANjackal

Postby keypox » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:45 pm

i am using alt.binaries.nl ok i have looked for the option though i cna't find it it really sucks :( cause i gotta manually do each one cause even clicking multiple pars and creating nzb only gives me one
keypox

Postby removed » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Interesting fact about cox, they host http://www.godhatesamerica.com amongst their websites and despite their acceptable use policy don't take it down, yet they will send you naughty letters through the post if you have been downloading something you shouldn't....

How's that for a screwed up company...
removed

PreviousNext

Return to NewsGroups