Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

emule speeds

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby Artie » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:30 pm

I used to do the Paid-to-Surf thing many years ago, just like everyone, but it was a business model which couldn't stand on its own feet primarily because there were just too many of them competing with one another.

Personally, I didn't mind them being on my computer. I had a choice to view or not to view ads from those banner bars. Nobody forced me. And yes, I did receive a few checks for it; I think the highest was around $60. Nowadays though, making money from Paid-to-Surf is like downloading songs off Napster.

I saw the referral link from Vazel before he took it away. At first I thought it was a joke... lol... but I guess it wasn't.

As for the main topic, I don't really have any comment about it. As long as eMule allows limiting one's outgoing bandwidth, I can handle how many outgoing peers I'm uploading to. And in a way, that benefits the community as a whole too, since files get more evently spread.
Artie

Postby LD50% » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:58 pm

vazel wrote:That link like it says is a referral link so I guess you can say I'm on commission. I'm going to take the link off as it just makes me look sleazy. And no one on any of the forums I've posted that link in my sig has gotten me a referral anyway.

I know many people are horrified by that kind of spyware people are willing to install on their PC but I'm desperate for the money. I don't mind them monitoring the sites I visit. The service hasn't even gone live yet so don't know how much they're going to pay me for having their viewbar on my PC but if it's $20 like AllAdvantage I'll be really happy as that's enough for a MMORPG subscription and $5 extra which will go into paying my Usenet bill. Heck, I'll be happy with even $10, if it's less than that I won't use it.

Whilst I am saddened by your desperate situation, encouraging the lesser informed to do silly things with their computers is very irresponsible.

You are, I am sure, aware of whom this shmuck company is run by? You obviously fully understand the implications of this shit on your windows machine?

Why would you want to be party to that? You seem like an intelligent sort, what's up? For what it's worth they never paid out the last time, they did, however, make many millions for themselves.....

....and doubtless will again, hopefully without your help!
LD50%

Postby LD50% » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:09 pm

vazel wrote:
LD50% wrote:
vazel wrote:That link like it says is a referral link so I guess you can say I'm on commission. I'm going to take the link off as it just makes me look sleazy. And no one on any of the forums I've posted that link in my sig has gotten me a referral anyway.

I know many people are horrified by that kind of spyware people are willing to install on their PC but I'm desperate for the money. I don't mind them monitoring the sites I visit. The service hasn't even gone live yet so don't know how much they're going to pay me for having their viewbar on my PC but if it's $20 like AllAdvantage I'll be really happy as that's enough for a MMORPG subscription and $5 extra which will go into paying my Usenet bill. Heck, I'll be happy with even $10, if it's less than that I won't use it.

Whilst I am saddened by your desperate situation, encouraging the lesser informed to do silly things with their computers is very irresponsible.

You are, I am sure, aware of whom this shmuck company is run by? You obviously fully understand the implications of this shit on your windows machine?

Why would you want to be party to that? You seem like an intelligent sort, what's up? For what it's worth they never paid out the last time, they did, however, make many millions for themselves.....

....and doubtless will again, hopefully without your help!
I don't see how it's any of your business what other people want to do with their PC. It's clear from their site what they're about. I nor they are misleading anyone.

Now what's this scam your alluding to? Links?

Jeezus Vazel, what planet are you on? Emule is a direct p2p and now allADvantage is a legit cause. You have some serious reading to do, to coin a corny phrase "google is your friend"...use it.
LD50%

Postby vazel » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:10 pm

Unbiased_Opinion wrote:Vazel, there are various eMule mods that use slot-focus which GREATLY reduces the amount of total upload slots you have running. Even if you aren't a 'releaser', the ed2k network can greatly benefit from the various features in the eMule mods.

Take a look at all the different 'mod' features.

eMule-Project Mod Forum - Must have account or use bugmenot
Thanks. :D
Last edited by vazel on Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
vazel

Postby LD50% » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:23 pm

Ok, this is getting dull, Vazel, we will all be very interested to see just how much of your bandwidth, YOU pay for to forward their advertising will make you rich. I also think it is not unreasonable to inform people on Slyck who do not know about this very dubious crap that died years ago due to lies and miraculously is resurrected by the same company directors?

If you can't see it for what it is, then good luck to you.

You are our guinea pig, please report often...
LD50%

Postby vazel » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:35 pm

LD50% wrote:Ok, this is getting dull, Vazel, we will all be very interested to see just how much of your bandwidth, YOU pay for to forward their advertising will make you rich. I also think it is not unreasonable to inform people on Slyck who do not know about this very dubious crap that died years ago due to lies and miraculously is resurrected by the same company directors?

If you can't see it for what it is, then good luck to you.

You are our guinea pig, please report often...
Bandwidth isn't an issue. I pay a flat fee each month for an uncapped 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up. This isn't meant to make me rich. Just earn me enough money for one MMORPG subscription. :D

I'm still waiting for information to back up your scam accusation.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
vazel

Postby Andu » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:28 pm

vazel wrote:My point is that this is why eMule is slow. Everyone has more upload slots than they should with their bandwidth. I would much rather like the option to set a maximum number of upload slots so I can upload to 4 people at decent speeds instead of uploading to 19 people at abysmal speeds.

Common misconception. Less slots would have almost no impact on the speed of the network.
Andu

Postby vazel » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:35 pm

How so? Having less slots means you dedicate your bandwidth to giving those fewer people a faster upload instead of spreading out your bandwidth among many people.
vazel

Postby Ratt » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:24 pm

vazel wrote:How so? Having less slots means you dedicate your bandwidth to giving those fewer people a faster upload instead of spreading out your bandwidth among many people.

But those people are not getting their files faster from you. Once you've given that one guy - let's call him Impatienty - one chunk of the file at high speed, he then has to go back to the rear of the queue and wait for his next turn. And because Impatienty got a privileged slot all to himself for a while, the queue as a whole became longer than it would have been normally. He got his chunk faster, true, but now he has to wait longer for his next chunk, which cancels out the original benefit.
Last edited by Ratt on Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ratt

Postby Drake » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:26 pm

vazel wrote:My point is that this is why eMule is slow. Everyone has more upload slots than they should with their bandwidth. I would much rather like the option to set a maximum number of upload slots so I can upload to 4 people at decent speeds instead of uploading to 19 people at abysmal speeds.

It evens out in the end. Those 19 people may only be downloading 1-2kB/s from you, but they are finding many more sources than they would if people would limit their amount of upload slots.

If you were to only upload to 4 people they they would benefit and download the file faster, but the remaining 14 people wouldn't be able to take advantage of your upload. I know this isn't entirely correct since your 4 upload slots would rotate but as long as you're uploading the same amount overall, it doesn't really matter how many slots you make available.
Drake

Postby vazel » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:26 pm

If having so many upload slots isn't the reason eMule is slow then what is the reason?
Last edited by vazel on Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vazel

Postby Drake » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:30 pm

vazel wrote:If having so many upload slots isn't the reason eMule is slow then what is the reason?

The amount of files people are sharing is the reason. When I use Azureus, I only have up to 5 active torrents. I share about 150 files on eMule. When someone wants to download 1 of the files I'm sharing on eMule, they might have to wait a long time before a slot is available. If I was only sharing 5 files, then the wait time would be much shorter.
Drake

Postby vazel » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:34 pm

Ah, I see now. I'm sharing 2196 files. So even though I have a modded client that uploads fewer slots giving fewer people a greater share of my bandwidth the queue some of them are going to have to wait to get their chunks is still going to give them quite the wait unless I significantly lower my shared files.
Last edited by vazel on Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vazel

Postby zim » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:37 pm

its the way emule is built... or its all so overloaded...

most people cant download from you faster than 16k. even if you have more to give.

i can give it one slot doing 55k and nobody ever gets that much... 15-20max usually.

so i leave it at 3 slots / 50k total anymore. its about the best it will do.
zim

Postby dwtyler » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:12 pm

My emule always connects with a lowid. I believe this is why almost every source downloads about 9.30 MB and then disconnects, kicking me all the way back down to the bottom of their cache. Is there anything that can be done about either (or both) of these problems? I have occasionally connected to sources that just kept on downloading to me indefinitely, but these are rare.
dwtyler

Postby IceCube » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:34 pm

That would be because most eMule clients have 'Upload full chunks' so they upload a full piee, then move on to the next client - and so on and so forth. This is normal and helps with efficiently spreading bandwidth around the network because pieces are in 9MB segments. The sources that just kep uploading are likely sources that have no one else in their line.

While I'm not sure why you have a lowID, I can tell you that it is not causing you to be 'suddenly' disconnected from users once you hit 9.3MB. This is a default on almost all clients.
IceCube

Postby zim » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:45 pm

its the score. by the time you got your 9 meg. someone else has gotten a higher score and gets to the front of the queue before you again.

lowid users are rated real low too. fix that crap. open your ports in the router or firewall.

http://www.testmyports.com it works on emule too.
zim

Postby dwtyler » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:02 pm

Thanks. I figured out how to open the ports on my router and now I'm getting a highID - which makes a huge difference.
dwtyler

Postby myname123 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:30 pm

zim wrote:its the way emule is built... or its all so overloaded...

most people cant download from you faster than 16k. even if you have more to give.

i can give it one slot doing 55k and nobody ever gets that much... 15-20max usually.

That could very well answer the age old question a lot of peoiple ask on here and other forums...
"why is my emule so slow?"

It could just be the way it is built or can't handle the connections.
myname123

Postby Andu » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:04 pm

myname123 wrote:
zim wrote:its the way emule is built... or its all so overloaded...

That could very well answer the age old question a lot of peoiple ask on here and other forums...
"why is my emule so slow?"

It could just be the way it is built or can't handle the connections.

Do you even understand what you read or do you just post because you think your uneducated input is helpful nonetheless?

I can easily max out my download speed if I care to download certain content. The problem is not in what eMule can or can't do. It's in the way the bandwidth flows.
Andu

Postby ejonesss » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:10 pm

dump the mule/donkey services and go bit torrent.

torrent is more open and will allow you to download before uploading.

something i have not tried to cheat mule/donkey is to set up 2 accounts on 2 seperate computers on the same network and share files back and forth between each other to build up credit.
ejonesss

Postby IceCube » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:32 pm

ejonesss wrote:dump the mule/donkey services and go bit torrent.

If you like a client that eats up all of your bandwidth, fine. Either way, BitTorrent has far fewer files then the ED2K network and you can search the ED2K network a heck of a lot easier.
IceCube

Postby zim » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:09 am

ejonesss wrote:dump the mule/donkey services and go bit torrent.

something i have not tried to cheat mule/donkey is to set up 2 accounts on 2 seperate computers on the same network and share files back and forth between each other to build up credit.

emule has 1000 times the files bt has. and everything thats ever been on a torrent is on emule somewhere.

--

that would work fine later on for fast speeds. so long as your other computer had the file you wanted.

the credit is on all the other clients you upload to. theres no universal credit bank you can build up. theres no way to cheat it.

upload to 10 million people tho. and in those 10 million people... some might have the file you want. and you'll get a good score and right to the top of the queue when you try to download.

been sharing a large collection for several years now. i rarely have to wait long for a download to start/finish anymore.
zim

Re: emule speeds

Postby PonyExpress » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:37 am

eMule is fast, I have recorded 692kbps download speeds. If thats not fast, I don't know what is.

Slot Focus is the mechanism that lets specific downloaders receive max bandwidth. I am pushing 58kbps right now to one person. When he leaves the queue - having received a very fast 9.28mb chunk, the queue fills up again with 12 more people.

Slot Focus will determine the max capacity for each, and then idle/trickle the others. Slot 1 is limited to 3kbps, Slot 2 however, will accept the balance. Slots 3-12 are idled back while slot 2 completes his chunk at 54kbps. Then the process repeats, slot 3 takes his spot and is tested for capacity. If his is only capapble of 12kbps then slot 4 will be offered the balance, and so on.

Being an efficient uploader SHOULD be your first priority. You helping others, instead of others helping you, will build up the speed of the network and efficiency of downloaded files. Before you know it, you will find somebody who thinks like you do, and they will have slot-focus enabled so you can recieve your data at blistering speeds. If you're lucky to be downloading from 10 high speed clients, speeds of 600kbps and above will be realized.
PonyExpress

Re: emule speeds

Postby Klaus_1250 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:56 pm

eMule is fast, I have recorded 692kbps download speeds. If thats not fast, I don't know what is.

Depends on how much your uploadcapacity is (which turn in credits) and how much your are downloading and how popular the file is. But 100KB/s is not uncommon, 300KB/s for something very popular with a few good clients. Some people even get speeds over 500KB/s but that never happened to me yet :-(
Klaus_1250

PreviousNext

Return to eMule / kad