Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

winmx still slow?

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

winmx still slow?

Postby mkkid28 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:23 pm

When i got winmx around 3 - 4 years ago it was extreamly slow, so i got rid off it a couple of weeks later.

Just wondering, is winmx still slow or as it improved in last 3 year-ish.
mkkid28

Postby sonnentier » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:47 pm

Why not just try it ;)

For me it had good speed for some files.
However the main objective of WinMX is not speed, but the community and the nostalgia of old days, of the napster times to say it so.
sonnentier

Postby Dazzle » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:01 pm

Sound advice Sonnentier 8)

Being a decentralised network the top speed of the network is of course the top speed of its users.
Dazzle

Postby Artik2 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:17 pm

What a great news! I didn't know that WinMX was back!

Ok, I live in a shell but I'm so happy now :)
Artik2

Postby TorrentMama » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:22 pm

forget Winmx. :roll:
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby Dazzle » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:36 pm

Yes you do that TM, its a wonder you have time to spend trolling boards instead of advising folks how not to help the MPAA grab their IP so easily from each swarm of BT users, I mean 20k letters a week for that systems users speak rather loudly against the 0 letters received by WinMx users.

Winmx, no ad's no spyware, no "donate" buttons and a great place to chat. :D
Dazzle

Postby king8654 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:39 pm

Personally I used to LOVE winMX, esp. the chat functions as this was my main way of getting files.

There was this release group I was apart of, and with the simple right click you were in their shared downloading at over 100kbs. This was probably about 4 years ago, so this speed was good for uploads, and was quite quick for my likings.

Havent touched winMX since the network was closed down, and since then havent seen a need to play around with the connect patches or such.

:twisted:
"Pirating when its legal is like getting a vasectomy. Its not fun without the venom."
http://www.myweddingisover.com - Wedding/Relationship Based Auction Site
king8654

Win mx slow

Postby Djgaz1 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:03 pm

Winmx has always been shit and very slow, it cues you up for hours, now who wants that crap, limewire blows it through the roof..
Djgaz1

Postby Dazzle » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:56 pm

Winmx has always been shit and very slow, it cues you up for hours, now who wants that crap, limewire blows it through the roof..

Then perhaps you,ll stick to that section of this site ? ( if it has one ? )

What you seem unable to grasp is that being on a particular network will not magically turn your cable/dsl line into a T1 connection and nothing you claim can alter that fact, each to their own of course.
Dazzle

Postby zbeast » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:28 pm

p2p: It's not just the size of your pipe it's also how you use it.

In the case of p2p applications it's not the applications fault your downloads are slow.
It's all the fault of your peer's.

Back in the day when a lot of your peers were on t1 or oc3 class connections from schools and companies you would be guaranteed a 1mb transfers from your peers.

If your peer is running adls they have an average max upload bandwidth of 128k for these discount Internet services.
If there on cable they have 6mb down but only 384k up and there sharing this upload speed with 10 other people trying to download the same file your looking for.

So it's not the apps fault its the crappy Internet they have in the USA's fault.
Toss on top of all this packetshapers and its a recipe for slow file downloads.

Download a file from a news group and you'll find you'll get blazing speeds.
The reason why is that news providers they have a solid connection to the Internet.
Most real new providers have multiple OC3 class connections.
When I download a file from Usenet I get a solid 6mb!
You'll never get those speed from a home user unless that home user has fiber to the home!
Or unless that user is rich and willing to pay $2000.00 a month for an enterprise class connection.

So until the phone companies can cable company stop playing around and shortchanging home users with asymmetrical Internet connection you will continue seeing slow download speeds.

Don't just hate the game also hate the players.
zbeast

Postby TorrentMama » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:32 pm

Dazzle wrote:Yes you do that TM, its a wonder you have time to spend trolling boards instead of advising folks how not to help the MPAA grab their IP so easily from each swarm of BT users, I mean 20k letters a week for that systems users speak rather loudly against the 0 letters received by WinMx users.

Winmx, no ad's no spyware, no "donate" buttons and a great place to chat. :D

1st off the thead is about winmx not torrents. but since you wanted to go there any idiot can figure out how to hide his or her ip.

As per your credibility going out the window with the statement that 0 letters are recived by winmx users... no wait that must have been a joke.. it's too obvious...

Winmx was once great. But it collapsed under legal threats. For god sakes let the thing die already. When the patches rolled they practically made a laughing stock of winmx, what a circus. Winmx isn't safe. It has as many fakes and b.s. as Kazaa. And to boot if you do manage to get what you seek it took all damn day.

BTW under your logic because Slyck has ads & a donate button it too must be a terrible place to communicate.
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby HalOfBorg » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:09 pm

The version 3.54Beta from http://www.winmxworld.com/ works perfectly fine all by itself. The patch in incorporated into it, the number of chatrooms is just like before (~1600), and all the drama is there as well.

Plenty of files are available - and yes, sometimes the line is long, but normally I don't even have to wait.

Speed depends on the users involved - just like BT. And with a popular file you can get dozens of sources.

All that said - I use BT for most things, just because I can check out the comments about a tracker, be sure it is real and OK.

If I want a TV episode - BT. One song - WinMX.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer: http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

We are The Borg.
Lower your weapons. Disarm your explosives.
Your spawn will adapt to service Us.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Postby Dazzle » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:29 am

I can guarantee you will never see a fake on winmx if you use the winmxgroup patch, unlike limewire, kazaa, bittorrent or whatever else you choose to use there is a special team who detect fakes and flooders and add the addresses of fake file flooders to a blocklist found here

http://www.winmxworld.com/files/block_list.txt

that list can be updated in less than 5 minutes for new flooders.

I havent actually seen a fake in over 6 months, maybe you should get a little more tech savvy before sounding off about things of which you know nothing.

I have posted this link before but for those who want an idea of how the fakes are put on the network and detected please read this.

http://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/fake_file_info.html
Feel free to show me the equivalent real time system employed by BT, I would be most interested to see it.

Another system is in place to detect those who try to log whats in users files but its not been possible to successfully implement this 100% while we have unprotected primaries on the network.

If anyone knows of a soley winmx user getting a letter from the RIAA or MPAA then feel free to direct me to their post as I am unaware of any such event recently.
Dazzle

Return to WinMX