Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

emule speeds

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

emule speeds

Postby sweeve » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:23 am

can anybody help me with any tips or something that i can try to get faster download speeds on emule.
cheers
sweeve

Postby NocturnalVagabond » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:07 am

Best advice I can give is ensure you have configured it correctly according to the docs/FAQs on their website.
Also the mule works best when run for extended periods of time, ideally 24/7.
And dont expect torrent-like speeds - its a completely different thing.

For FAQs, fine tuning of settings and forum help, try the Official eMule Site and the eMule Forums

I would also suggest making sure you have the latest client (currently .47c) and make sure you enable obfuscation.
"I'd hate to be a teetotaler. Imagine getting up in the morning and knowing that's as good as you're going to feel all day"
- Dean Martin
NocturnalVagabond
Tin Foil Hat Salesperson

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:37 pm

any particular reason this wasn't posted in the emule forum? moved :P
MrFredPFL

Postby zbeast » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:54 pm

Despite the large number of users that use the mule.
One of my only beefs is that it’s a slow and stubborn beast.

1) Don’t download more than 10 things at a time.
2) Download files that have more than 1 user sharing the file you’re looking for.
3) Because it’s a credit base system you should always be uploading.
4) Make sure that the file you’re trying to download complete sources = 100%.

Sometimes a different network could be the fix what bugging you.
Movies are better downloaded from Usenet.
Programs are better downloaded from torrent sites.
Music is better downloaded from SoulSeek.

The mule will always come through but sometimes its just takes a while.
The longer your client is continually running the faster you’ll get files.
It’s takes a while for your clients presents on the network to be detected by
All the nodes on the network.
zbeast

Postby JayC32 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:40 pm

Ah another give me advice on how to get more speed for ME post. These have appeared on the ed2k forums over time. No mention mind you of how can I be a better sharer, just how can I get things faster. It seems those old guard who believe in the true ethos of file sharing are bevoming less and less.

Take a look at YOUR uploads and see what speeds you are giving each person in a slot. There you see the limitiation.

Bandwidth can not be created out of thin air so while your speeds improve someone has to go without.
JayC32

Postby Drake » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:24 pm

NocturnalVagabond wrote:I would also suggest making sure you have the latest client (currently .47c) and make sure you enable obfuscation.

Agreed. People who are being throttled usually select the forced obfuscation option so you'll only be able to connect to them if you enable obfuscation, although you don't have to select the forced option.

I disagree with zbeast about not downloading more than 10 files at a time. I've often downloaded 12-15 files at the same time and it didn't cause any problems.
Drake

Postby LD50% » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:16 pm

Drake wrote:I disagree with zbeast about not downloading more than 10 files at a time. I've often downloaded 12-15 files at the same time and it didn't cause any problems.

Talk about splitting hairs...LOL

On anything around/less than a 2mg connect 15<30 files is plenty, but it will take more if you are prepared to wait....a long time!

Just set the "start next" to roll and forget it......literally.
LD50%

Postby Drake » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:50 pm

That's true. It depends on the speed of your connection.
Drake

Postby Andu » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:15 pm

Drake wrote:
NocturnalVagabond wrote:I would also suggest making sure you have the latest client (currently .47c) and make sure you enable obfuscation.

Agreed. People who are being throttled usually select the forced obfuscation option so you'll only be able to connect to them if you enable obfuscation, although you don't have to select the forced option.

That's wrong. Let's say you have two clients A and B. You don't need both A and B to enable obfuscation. If A enables obfuscation and B is able to use it as well (meaning it's v0.47b or newer) then the connection will be obfuscated.
Well at least it should be. There is still a little bug that prevents the obfuscation to happen under certain circumstances.

Also if I'm B and A is forcing obfuscation I will be able to download from him as long as I'm using 0.47b or newer.
Andu

Postby ntscuser » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:14 am

I found this by accident.

If uploading and downloading seems sluggish for no apparent reason it helps to momentarilly disconnect and reconnect again. eMule then mysteriously finds new users without losing your place in the existing queue rankings.
ntscuser

Postby Shaan » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:26 pm

Does anybody know why the downloading in emule halts when about 99% of the download is completed.And it takes a while after the remaining 1% is completed.
Shaan

Postby ntscuser » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:30 pm

Shaan wrote:Does anybody know why the downloading in emule halts when about 99% of the download is completed.And it takes a while after the remaining 1% is completed.
Yes, it's to stop people from disconnecting as soon as the file is completed.
ntscuser

Postby qm2003 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:02 pm

If someone had a sarcastic nature, i guess that statement could be seen as valid. :P

But in reality, the further a download advances, the less useful sources for the remaining parts are left.
Sometimes those sources are quite slow and you have to wait for your turn.

But most of the time that doesn't happen.
At least not to me. :)
How to setup Emule. A small checklist Schmu's MuleDoc
P2P is not piracy, it's marketing. In fact, if your music or movie is NOT being downloaded, you should be WORRIED !
If you can't even give it away for free, how do you expect to sell it, stupid ?
qm2003

Postby Ratt » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:32 pm

It's not just the diminishing number of sources, though: the slowdown right at the end always happens with the bigger files (with a 5 mb file, you don't really see it). It's definitely built into the system, and for good reasons.

Hell, I am one of those who unshare most files as soon as they're downloaded; the reason being that I'm on ADSL with limited upload, and I want to devote most of that upload to boosting my ongoing downloads with the credit system. That's just how it is (my total ratio is always 1:1, however).
Ratt

Postby ntscuser » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:31 am

It hasn't made any difference to my download speed whether I share a huge amount or nothing at all.

EDIT: I tell a lie. After right-clicking on a shared file and selecting "release", I have moved up from 3963 to 3661 in the queue of the person already downloading it from me! :oops:
Last edited by ntscuser on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ntscuser

Postby Overnet User » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:50 am

sometimes I dl up to 400 files at a time but that is only when i add them from ed2k links or get them from friends. Other times, I dl about 130 but at the current time I am dl 94 files because I have been trying to get my edonkey back up after I formatted my machine. I did and I happen to have 94 files in my current dl list. When I restart, I will rotate and I probably will dl about 130-ish.
Why Join The Fight?
http://www.eff.org/bloggers/join/
News Without Queues: Follow OvernetUser on Twitter http://twitter.com/OvernetUser
Overnet User

Re: emule speeds

Postby GB » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:02 am

sweeve wrote:can anybody help me with any tips or something that i can try to get faster download speeds on emule.
cheers

Your not on your own, these days eMule is not good at all. The network is really slow to download from and I more or less use Torrent instead now becuase of the slow speeds.
GB

Re: emule speeds

Postby LD50% » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:07 am

GB wrote:
sweeve wrote:can anybody help me with any tips or something that i can try to get faster download speeds on emule.
cheers

Your not on your own, these days eMule is not good at all. The network is really slow to download from and I more or less use Torrent instead now becuase of the slow speeds.

What he meant to say is torrents are faster than ed2k, this is of course newsworthy information that will confound and confuse mere mortals.... :roll:
LD50%

Postby IceCube » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:13 am

Yeah, torrents are faster... especially all the dead swarms ;)

I'll pass and take the network with everything thanks, but that's just my opinion.
IceCube

Postby GB » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:21 am

IceCube wrote:Yeah, torrents are faster... especially all the dead swarms ;)

I'll pass and take the network with everything thanks, but that's just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I have both installed and use both. But these days everytime I find something in emule that I want to download, even if it has loads of sources. It's so slow that I'm finding myself more and more looking fo the same file in Torrent to get it much faster.

But I do like eMule and will always use it. But the speeds these days seem so much worse though. There is one bad thing about Torrents though, the files only stay around for a short period of time, unlike emule were there indexed for years.
GB

Postby LD50% » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:49 am

IceCube wrote:Yeah, torrents are faster... especially all the dead swarms ;)

....and mine.
LD50%

Postby vazel » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:39 pm

Apparently you can't limit the amount of people you upload to. eMule decides that for you. So I'm stuck uploading to 19 people on my 1Mbps upload. No wonder eMule is slow.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
vazel

Postby Ratt » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:58 pm

vazel wrote:Apparently you can't limit the amount of people you upload to. eMule decides that for you. So I'm stuck uploading to 19 people on my 1Mbps upload. No wonder eMule is slow.

As long as you cap the upload speed, what difference does it make to how many people you upload? This does not affect your download either way; your computer and your internet connection can handle 19 people uploading quite easily.
Ratt

Postby vazel » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:23 pm

My point is that this is why eMule is slow. Everyone has more upload slots than they should with their bandwidth. I would much rather like the option to set a maximum number of upload slots so I can upload to 4 people at decent speeds instead of uploading to 19 people at abysmal speeds.
Last edited by vazel on Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
vazel

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:59 pm

Vazel, there are various eMule mods that use slot-focus which GREATLY reduces the amount of total upload slots you have running. Even if you aren't a 'releaser', the ed2k network can greatly benefit from the various features in the eMule mods.

Take a look at all the different 'mod' features.

eMule-Project Mod Forum - Must have account or use bugmenot
Unbiased_Opinion

Next

Return to eMule / kad