Slyck Chatbox - And More

Need help connecting to DC++ through SSH

Discussion about the DirectConnect program and network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Need help connecting to DC++ through SSH

Postby metalinvader » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:23 pm

Hi all,
I am behind a firewall which blocks access to p2p applications.
i have created a root shell account at rootshell.be and I connect to their server using this software called Putty. I forward port 1080 while connecting to their server. I guess this method is called Tunnelling (i am not very knowledgeable about these things). So what my shell connection does is it helps me browse the net through rootshell.be's server and gives me a different ip while im on the net.
But im not able to connect to DC++. I tried searching a lot for documentation which can help me in this specific case but im not able to find anything.
And also,
In the DC++ connection settings, I selected Socks5 and I entered "localhost" as my socks IP and port 1080 (i use the same settings in my browser).
On connecting to a hub it initially says "connected" and then after 2 seconds it immediately says "disconnected".
Any pointers on whats happening?
Please help me out someone.
Thanks
metalinvader

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:38 pm

hi metal - gonna move this to DirectConnect board
MrFredPFL

Postby metalinvader » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:40 pm

but will anyone see my post there...I went to that section and saw that most of the posts are really old..no one seems to frequent it...iwanted to post this in a thread where people are active :(
metalinvader

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:56 pm

yes, but it's a DC question. most regulars use the "view posts since last visit" button, so they will see it :)
MrFredPFL

Postby metalinvader » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:29 am

I knew it...no one will come here :cry:
metalinvader

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:53 am

maybe no one cares abot direct connect, or the ones who do are busy with other things right now. what *I* noticed was that whatever the age of the other posts on this board, the questions were answered promptly. i suggest you have a little patience. we are not going to start putting all the threads in the wrong boards just because certain people can't be bothered to wait. this thread isn't even a day old yet :roll:
MrFredPFL

Re: Need help connecting to DC++ through SSH

Postby Asuran » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:57 pm

metalinvader wrote:Hi all,
I am behind a firewall which blocks access to p2p applications.
i have created a root shell account at rootshell.be and I connect to their server using this software called Putty. I forward port 1080 while connecting to their server. I guess this method is called Tunnelling (i am not very knowledgeable about these things). So what my shell connection does is it helps me browse the net through rootshell.be's server and gives me a different ip while im on the net.
But im not able to connect to DC++. I tried searching a lot for documentation which can help me in this specific case but im not able to find anything.
And also,
In the DC++ connection settings, I selected Socks5 and I entered "localhost" as my socks IP and port 1080 (i use the same settings in my browser).
On connecting to a hub it initially says "connected" and then after 2 seconds it immediately says "disconnected".
Any pointers on whats happening?
Please help me out someone.
Thanks

I don't think you are going to get it working like that. With SSH tunneling you must set where the packets are sent to at the other end of the tunnel. Obviously you can not set this with DC because it depends on the peer you want to connect to. Maybe if there's a socks server at rootshell.be you can set that in SSH tunneling destination. So your setup would be like DC++ -> SSH tunnel -> rootshell.be socks proxy -> net...

This is what I would try:

In DC:

SOCKS5 localhost 1080

In SSH

Outgoing tunnel
listen port 1080
destination host: rootshell.be
destination port: rootshell's proxy's port

... maybe. :)
Asuran

Postby metalinvader » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:04 am

Thanks for your reply Asuran.
Can you please clarify one point for me: how can I find out what rootshell.be's socks proxy port is?

thanks...
metalinvader

Return to DirectConnect