Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

you can still use edonkey

Discussion about the eDonkey program and both the eDonkey2000 network and the Overnet Network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

you can still use edonkey

Postby $alopette » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:46 pm

Technically only edonkey.com has closed, so all the edonkey downloads, updates and development are over...but not eDonkey2000. Just follow this simple guide, posted by an Italian forum:

1. Download 1.4.3b or previous versions, new versions are NOT recommended.

2. To get rid of the default homepage of edonkey (with the riaa announcement, made just to scare you. They are legal actions they can put on you for viewing the webiste) close Explorer and eDonkey and go to: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\, you'll find a file named HOSTS, open it with notepad and add the following code:

Code: Select all
# eDonkey home - http://alltheweb.com/
66.94.229.254 home.edonkey.com
# # eDonkey home - http://alltheweb.com/

3. When eDonkey is restarted, you wont see anymore the RIAA message but a random homepage.

4. To connect properly to Overnet, you need the file contact.dat. This should be downloaded from the official website, but it's no longer possible.. Use this link to download the new contact.dat:
http://www.p2pforum.it/forum/attachment ... 1158393344

Replace it with the existing one..

That's it your done, you can still happily use eDonkey for a CERTAIN period (since it wont have updates). The time will come, sooner or later you'll have to switch to another P2P..Since new features will be out and eDonkey will be "old school"...

<edit - topic fixed. please read the forum rules.>
11) DO NOT TYPE SUBJECT IN ALL CAPS. It is totally unnecessary to write the subject of a new thread in all caps.
$alopette

Postby who_me » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:28 pm

ok, so lets all use a client with a widely publicised backdoor... good call
:lol:
ADVERTISING SPACE
FOR SALE.
who_me

Postby P2P_G » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:10 pm

Cool, but who's going to use eD2k now when overnet has so little users? Everyone is going to eMule and Kad is huge now :) Still sad to see Overnet die :(
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby $alopette » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:36 pm

I'm just trying to satisfy ed2k users, that if they'd all go back to it, it'll be like before...
$alopette

Postby OhMyGod » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:21 pm

For those who want to support the Overnet Network, you can still use older versions of these clients.

Overnet Lite by KLite Tools
eDonkey2000 Lite by KLite Tools
eDonkey2000 Lite by FSLite
Oldversion.com May have adware and spyware.

Thanks. :D
OhMyGod

you can still use the donkey

Postby Elias The White » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:39 pm

I am not a native english speaker, thus I give an apology if I lack of gramatical correctivness. I've been a p2p client user for a short time, but all i've been able to download has been thanx to the good old donkey. after the turmoil caused by we all know what, a gave a try to other clients like emule, ares and lately to limewire, but neither of them worked as nice as edonkey did. I can't use the late version of it, of course, but I've downloaded since the fall of edonkey.com, using a lite version of edonkey2000, over 200 songs since august 12th, to date, without any problem. finally, thanx to all the people who uses this forum, for all the help you provided to me. LONG LIVE THE DONKEY.
Elias The White

Postby IceCube » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:52 am

Maybe Overnet can become a seperate network. Seeing as how not many eDonkey users like eMule users and a lot of eDonkey users like Overnet a lot, it sounds like a logical step. Don't take offence to this, I don't mean this in the sense of 'kick off all eDonkey clients' or anything, but just from what I read, it's a possibility.
IceCube

Postby kingdiamond123 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:37 am

is overnet really a dying network? will this mean i wont be able to get my files as fast i used to?

thx.
kingdiamond123

Postby IceCube » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:41 am

If you want speed, use UseNet.
IceCube

Postby OhMyGod » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:46 am

kingdiamond123 wrote:is overnet really a dying network? will this mean i wont be able to get my files as fast i used to?

thx.

Overnet doesn't have much of a chance unless people
use the older or the Lite versions of the eDonkey2000/Overnet clients.

The only Overnet client still in development is TrustyFiles.

eDonkey2000 client shut down, didn't really effect the eDonkey Network since most people used eMule mods anyways. But Overnet is in trouble now.

Thanks. :D
OhMyGod

Postby Ratt » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:56 am

In my stats, I always used to have around 5% eD Hybrid and eDonkey clients combined (and I look at the stats every day). But since Wednesday they've always been at zero. Nada, zip.

Wow, it's really dead, isn't it?

One of Overnet's problems is that if there is no major client providing a link between the ED2000 network and Overnet, a lot of important files are no longer going to percolate directly into the smaller Overnet userbase from the Emule releasers.
Ratt

Postby madboy » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:15 am

but edonkey is the best
madboy

Overnet is up and running FULL THROTTLE jump in

Postby Overnet User » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:45 pm

Overnet is up and has been running full throttle on my machine with great speeds like always. Lets not let it die. Its too good to die. Think about it, Now that the RIAA and etc have "killed the client" (we know better), less attention gets put on the network. IE: Hidden more, but lets not let it die because it is still up and running very nicely and going. LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why Join The Fight?
http://www.eff.org/bloggers/join/
News Without Queues: Follow OvernetUser on Twitter http://twitter.com/OvernetUser
Overnet User

Re: Overnet is up and running FULL THROTTLE jump in

Postby P2P_G » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:49 pm

Overnet User wrote:Overnet is up and has been running full throttle on my machine with great speeds like always. Lets not let it die. Its too good to die. Think about it, Now that the RIAA and etc have "killed the client" (we know better), less attention gets put on the network. IE: Hidden more, but lets not let it die because it is still up and running very nicely and going. LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah but the network is soo small now :(
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby Overnet User » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:52 pm

Yeah but the network is soo small now

once everyone finds out that the network is up and running well, they will join back in. It was just a big blow at once and many people don't know what to do and all these emule ppl are telling us its over, SOOOOOo NOT!!!!!!! and we have to keep it that way :-) :D
Why Join The Fight?
News Without Queues: Follow OvernetUser on Twitter http://twitter.com/OvernetUser
Overnet User

Postby P2P_G » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:12 pm

Overnet User wrote:
Yeah but the network is soo small now

once everyone finds out that the network is up and running well, they will join back in. It was just a big blow at once and many people don't know what to do and all these emule ppl are telling us its over, SOOOOOo NOT!!!!!!! and we have to keep it that way :-) :D

Maybe, but i still don't think that many of the people will download the "lite" version and stuff..many people has allredy switched to eMule or other p2p apps :P and some of the people doesn't trust edonkey2000 now :P it is closed sourch so the riaa could monitor what you share lol :lol:
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby $alopette » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:56 pm

If the is any change that RIAA will be monitoring your downloads that's with version after the 1.4.3 which i NOT recommended. All the mess with RIAA started after the release of 1.4.3b, so all previous versions are clean. Even though I use eMule, I totally respect the devs of edonkey..and i don't want to see overnet die for no reason..
$alopette

Postby Ratt » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:19 am

Overnet User wrote:once everyone finds out that the network is up and running well, they will join back in. It was just a big blow at once and many people don't know what to do

I dunno. Everyone who is willing to switch to one of the Lite versions should have done so by now, I think. The ones that still haven't, most likely never will. Not unless a Lite or a new variant of eDonkey somehow got a big push all of a sudden.

I do notice that MLDonkey is still up and runnning. It consistently has at least one percent of the network.
Ratt

Postby Elias The White » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:00 pm

I won't deny the fact, that in deed, there are less edonkey users in the net than ever. I, for a moment, gave it up, and tried other clients, but didn't like their performance. It was some kind of stubborness, which push me to look for info in the net about what was going on, and with some luck, find viable solutions. luckily, many people came up with ideas and suggestions, and Voila!!!, there I was again, downloading those old, rare and sometimes, impossible to find songs (70's, 80's and 90's), by normal means. the original donkey always worked perfectly for me, and this lite version I'm using now, did the trick too. as long as I find the songs I'm looking for, I see no reason for changing to any other client, for the time being. almost all the posts in this forum have been useful, one way or the other. I'll be on the donkey's side, as long as it takes. Long lieve the Donkey!!!
Elias The White

Postby FailureToLaunch56 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:04 am

Hate eMule...........may as well buy whatever you are looking for rather than wasting your bandwith.
FailureToLaunch56

Postby pelusagremlin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:02 am

Hey! Overnet lives, no need to use old donkey versions. Just try MLDonkey and only activate ed2k_servers and overnet network layer. Disable all other networks to save bandwidth and you'll have a web interface client with low resource consumption, and overnet ready!

Speed is great as usual. Don't let overnet die, MLDonkey is opensource and overnet implementation rocks, was reverse engineered.

Don't mind to pay for overnet, is faster. is better, no queues. Much better than emule network which lacks speed and optimizations.

Please post your opinions. I'll help everyone setting mldonkey in their machines. runs fine under windows

the basics:

to connect web interface: http://localhost:4080/
dont forget to open overnet/ed ports in donkey.ini (edit this file in wordpad)

if you used linux or have minimal experience is a breeze, just try.
pelusagremlin

Postby jippitou » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:30 am

I'm still using eDonkey 1.4.3 utilising the old trick "EXPLORER : OFFLINE----ONLINE" It works great. No need to change anything in the host file. I even have the impression that the downloading is faster than before. The number of users is actually 40320 on Overnet and 229129 on ed2k and those numbers have been increasing everyday. A good sign.
jippitou

Postby Overnet User » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:27 am

"EXPLORER : OFFLINE----ONLINE"

what is that?
Why Join The Fight?
Overnet User

Postby jippitou » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:20 am

well here it is, step by step:
IE and eDonkey are closed.
Open IE
File--» Click offline
Close IE
Open eDonkey : no pop-up, no nothing
Open IE
File ---» Click online
You can then use IE as you wish and eDonkey will take all the links you ask it to take and it will function normally without any restraint or pop-up.
It is very simple and it works very well for me.
jippitou

Return to eDonkey2000 / Overnet