Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

limewire is getting flooded with spoofs

Discussion of the Gnutella network and the Gnutella clients such as Gnucleus, XoloX, Shareaza, LimeWire and BearShare
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

limewire is getting flooded with spoofs

Postby altpdend » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:03 pm

try and do a search on enter sandman and thousands of results come up all fakes is their a way to stop this before lime becomes the new kazaa?
altpdend

Postby yaveznodo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:05 pm

Nope. No way to stop it now. Limewire is on the 'death watch' list after recent RIAA lawsuits. Forget about it, use Frostwire if you must, or jump ship to something else (there's not much left but emule, bt, soulseek and newsgroups).
yaveznodo

Postby zbeast » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:11 pm

What are these spoof files you've seen?
mp3's that start looping in the middle.
mp3's that making screeching sounds?
mp3's that never finish downloading?
mp3's Name of song and the music your hearing does not match?
mp3's music of Madonna. (OK that's mean)

Zip files composed of zeros that expand indefinitely
Files that never finish downloading?

viruses or spam. I need some detail's.
Don't list the file name just list the file type and the effect your seeing.
Last edited by zbeast on Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zbeast

Postby yaveznodo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:13 pm

I think he meands fakes, or industry planted DRM files. Like he said:
thousands of results come up all fakes
yaveznodo

Postby Sacky » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:14 pm

Use Frostwire, it doesn't display as many fakes as limewire
No Message here...
Sacky

Postby serrebi101 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:14 pm

yaveznodo wrote:Nope. No way to stop it now. Limewire is on the 'death watch' list after recent RIAA lawsuits. Forget about it, use Frostwire if you must, or jump ship to something else (there's not much left but emule, bt, soulseek and newsgroups).

lets not forget ares, warez, shareaza, etc etc.
serrebi101

Postby yaveznodo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:16 pm

lets not forget ares, warez, shareaza, etc etc.

I try to forger ares, warez and shareaza every day :)
yaveznodo

Postby altpdend » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:18 pm

i am using frostwire i am getting 8,544 results their need to be a to not just block a host but a hash as well
altpdend

Postby zbeast » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:19 pm

Remember that limewire is just a guntell network.
Unlike kazaa which for the most part became a closed
network.
The gnutella network can be accessed by any number of different clients.

They may beat-up limewire but they can't beat up the
protocol.
zbeast

Postby yaveznodo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:23 pm

zbeast wrote:Remember that limewire is just a guntell network.
Unlike kazaa which for the most part became a closed
network.
The gnutella network can be accessed by any number of different clients.

They may beat-up limewire but they can't beat up the
protocol.

True, but having used a few different clients connecting to Gnutella lately, you can see the influence of Kazza refugees on the network. When they're jumping, they're bringing all the crap with them. I don't think gnutella can survive much longer if it doesn't do something radical and soon. My prediction, gnutella will become the next FT very quickly without some kind of intervention.
yaveznodo

Postby altpdend » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:33 pm

all those files are comming from same ip range you can use limewire host filter and block the range
altpdend

Postby Sacky » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:25 pm

is there a pre setup host filter that filters all the bad IP ranges for fake files?
No Message here...
Sacky

Postby altpdend » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:51 am

ok now that kazaa is going to become the riaa boytoy all those spooffing companies are going to somewhere, so why don't the limewire clones and gntella clients have a button like block host but will also block part or all of a ip range. After awhile those companies well be ineffective they have to close up shope
altpdend

Postby P2P_G » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:33 am

If you wanna use the gnutella network and get alot less fakes i your searches, use a old version of BearShare Lite, get it here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download/file/ ... 1c5e63050/

or here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_bearshare_lite/?996

I don't know why, but im only getting fakes in limewire, i think that bearshare is using its own part of gnutella or something...and its way more faster and better search results than limewire...but if you really need to use java-crap, use frostwire, but i don't recommend it.

Thanks!
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby Anonymous » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:42 am

:roll:
Anonymous

Postby P2P_G » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:46 am

LinkS wrote::roll:

Sorry? huh? try it yourself, then do :roll: .

Its getting anoying.
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby Sacky » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:50 am

I don't know why, but im only getting fakes in limewire, i think that bearshare is using its own part of gnutella or something...and its way more faster and better search results than limewire...but if you really need to use java-crap, use frostwire, but i don't recommend it.

The reason you are getting fakes is because of the recent riaa restrictions upon limewire, there is only 1 gnutella network not sections or anything. I find frostwire the best gnutella to be available today, and who cares if its coded in java it won't affect your download speed at all (only your CPU/memory).
No Message here...
Sacky

Postby P2P_G » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:54 am

Sacky wrote:

The reason you are getting fakes is because of the recent riaa restrictions upon limewire, there is only 1 gnutella network not sections or anything. I find frostwire the best gnutella to be available today, and who cares if its coded in java it won't affect your download speed at all (only your CPU/memory).

Yeah...but have you tried BearShare Lite?
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby Sacky » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:58 am

Yeah...but have you tried BearShare Lite?

I have tried Bearshare Pro and Bearshare (normal or lite or the free one whatever its called) about 6 months back, and i found it to be generally slower and it took ages to verify files. But i guess its different with each person...
No Message here...
Sacky

Postby abou105 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:02 am

Yea ive been saying it for months, Limeiwre/Gnutella is the next kazaa and the next one to fall, i stopped using it once it became popular, all the kazaa people have moved to it.

There are a few alternitives but compared to maybe a year or two ago there are fewer.

But lets not forget, Bit torrent is more than just a network and it is rich in files.

Think it is time slyck users move on to pastures new :wink:
Information is so valuable in todays society, its understandable people want to lock it up, but the internet is about freedom of information, lets not take that away.
abou105

Postby celldweller » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:12 am

Yea I tryed the exact same search "enter sandman" but I got 1000's of fakes but I was smart enough to get the one that was'nt a fake it was labed Mattalica - Entersandman.mp3 now I knew it couldnt be a fake cause it was spelled wrong. The RIAA has such respect for them they'd never spell their name wrong. Earlier on Warez 3.0 I did encounter a Offspring DRM fake so it makes me wonder if their gonna start using the fake route again.

Well Cheerz
You Can See Flames In My Eyes
celldweller

Postby altpdend » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:24 am

people it's not that big a deal when you find series of fakes click browse host buttion it will show the ip address. in case of the enter sandman 99.9% are comming from ip range 216 go to limewire filters go to hosts and in limewire they way to block a ip range is 216*.*.*.* and fakes go away. Thats whay i think their needs to a feature block a ip automatacly.
Last edited by altpdend on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
altpdend

Postby king8654 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:36 am

DUDE limewire the client will come up with more fakes than frostwire the client. Both access the same network, but ones under fire the other not.

And being coded in java is NOT an issue unless your running a pentium II with 256mb SDRAM. I max out azureus all the time with 10-20 downloads and frostwire with same amount, and my computer does not fall behind in speed or performance.

Try out soulseek or even IRC for good albums/songs. Personally use KCeasy when i MUST have a song, but beside that go with BT myself. :twisted:
king8654

Postby MattMerch » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:51 am

as long as one network keeps all the fakes or most of them its all gravy
Signature censored by slyck
MattMerch

Postby gregorio » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:03 pm

king8654 wrote:DUDE limewire the client will come up with more fakes than frostwire the client. Both access the same network, but ones under fire the other not.

There is no way to distinguish between queries from FrostWire and from LimeWire. How much spam you receive depends mainly on how many spam nodes there are in your immediate network neighbourhood.

Tricking these spam nodes is often as simple as leaving out one or two characters at the end of some of your search keywords. In the case mentiond above "ente sandma" should do the trick, to fool the spammer.
LimeWire 4.13 is out. Don't miss it!
gregorio

Next

Return to Gnutella