Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Best Usenet-provider

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby webe3 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:32 am

ditto wrote:Avoid giganews at all costs (well, it will be actually cheaper with any other provider). They are acting towards their users like police. At least in the past (from my own experience) they were terminating "unlimited" accounts because they thought the user consumed too much bandwidth even using the same ip address. They are certainly watching their users.

NO THEY ARE NOT! Do you have any proof they are? PROVE IT!
webe3

Postby webe3 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:44 am

knighshade wrote:@max2
You know as great as I heard Giganews service was, I almost wish you were right that I did abuse my acount, but sadly for Giganews I did not. I simply had a awful experience! The reason I kept getting locked out of my account is because my IP that is given to me via DHCP from my ISP changes frequently, I cannot control this! So GN would lock me out! A service is no good if you cant use it. I pay to use Newshosting every month and they actualy let me use what I pay for everyday(what a freakin concept!) max2 if you need an explanation about DHCP lease times let me know I will be happy to help. 8)

As far as my MATH goes, I think it's pretty good because I pay Newshosting half what Giganews charges and the service is excellent.

That is NOT Giganews fault either! Get your facts straight!

You cannot have more than one IP address with Giganews ...PERIOD. (what a freakin concept)

If your ISP is at fault, then it may be beyond your control, but that is NO reason for you to say their service is "no good" simply because you have an ISP that changes your IP address. Giganews may be not useable to you, but not to someone else that has a decent ISP and is not changing the IP all the time!

Get real, it is not Giganews that is at fault, it is the ISP that keeps changing the IP address! That has absolutely NOTHING to do with weather or not Giganews is stable and running properly.

Mabye next time you should calrify exactly what happened instead of making general statements about Giganews.
webe3

Postby knighshade » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:10 am

webe3 wrote:You cannot have more than one IP address with Giganews ...PERIOD. (what a freakin concept)

webe3 you can have more than one IP with Giganews JUST NOT LOGGED ON WITH MORE THAN ONE AT A TIME (get your facts straight!) Oh yea and by the way if your are trying to convince people GN is the way to go, you might not want tell people they are morons for being forced to use a ISP other than your own (thanx for calling my ISP crap by the way) Newshosting is cheaper, and in my opinion, better because they put their users first and dont exclude anyone regardless of who their ISP is even if their IP changes sometimes, CUSTOMER FIRST now that is a concept :D
knighshade

Postby webe3 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:52 am

knighshade wrote:you can have more than one IP with Giganews JUST NOT LOGGED ON WITH MORE THAN ONE AT A TIME (get your facts straight!)

You knew EXACTLY what I was saying, so lets get your dumb comments out of the way! You are the one trying to convince people that GN is somehow bad, because YOU had problems and it was YOUR ISP that kept changing your IP address, so quit blaming Giganews and place the blame where it belongs. As I said....Get your facts straight!

knighshade wrote:Oh yea and by the way if your are trying to convince people GN is the way to go, you might not want tell people they are morons for being forced to use a ISP other than your own (thanx for calling my ISP crap by the way) Newshosting is cheaper, and in my opinion, better because they put their users first and dont exclude anyone regardless of who their ISP is even if their IP changes sometimes, CUSTOMER FIRST now that is a concept :D

I frankly do not care WHAT you do! I really don't care if you use Giganews, Newshosting or any other news server. What I do care about is you spouting off to others about how GN is somehow at fault for cutting you off, when it was your ISP that is changing your IP address. That is not the fault of Giganews. I am just setting the record straight.

It is because OTHER PEOPLE are reading what is posted and making decisions about newsservers based on posts like this is the reason I want to get the facts about Giganews out.

Now if YOU are having a problem with that, then tough! But I can't help it if you choose an ISP that changes your IP address, that is YOUR PROBLEM. And as far as Giganews, it gets better retention and service, but some people want a cheaper alternative.

I HAVE TRIED Newshosting you know, I speak from experience, not second hand information. I did have trouble with it as I have posted and they were up and down constantly when I tried to log on, I have not had that problem with Giganews. But others have said they have not had trouble with it,so it could depend on where you live.
webe3

Postby max2 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:47 pm

webe3 Bingo! Well done!

This is exactly what I was about to say but saw you said it first!
max2

Postby vans12 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:36 pm

max2 wrote:webe3 Bingo! Well done!

I think you were about to say that because it sounds like both of you work for giganews. but if you don't work for giganews you just need to let it go you don't have to fight to justify your over spending.
vans12

Newshosting.com

Postby benlewis » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:54 pm

I use newshosting.com.

About average in retention, above average in speed, and great tech support.
benlewis

Postby benlewis » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:59 pm

webe3 wrote:
You know as great as I heard Giganews service was, I almost wish you were right that I did abuse my acount, but sadly for Giganews I did not. I simply had a awful experience! The reason I kept getting locked out of my account is because my IP that is given to me via DHCP from my ISP changes frequently, I cannot control this! So GN would lock me out! A service is no good if you cant use it. I pay to use Newshosting every month and they actualy let me use what I pay for everyday(what a freakin concept!) max2 if you need an explanation about DHCP lease times let me know I will be happy to help. 8)

As far as my MATH goes, I think it's pretty good because I pay Newshosting half what Giganews charges and the service is excellent.

You cannot have more than one IP address with Giganews ...PERIOD. (what a freakin concept)

If your ISP is at fault, then it may be beyond your control, but that is NO reason for you to say their service is "no good" simply because you have an ISP that changes your IP address. Giganews may be not useable to you, but not to someone else that has a decent ISP and is not changing the IP all the time!

Get real, it is not Giganews that is at fault, it is the ISP that keeps changing the IP address! That has absolutely NOTHING to do with weather or not Giganews is stable and running properly.

Mabye next time you should calrify exactly what happened instead of making general statements about Giganews.

Sounds like for some (maybe more then some) having giganews at twice the price would not be as good as providers that are not as sensitive.

To NOT go with Giganews is a no brainer. I don't think I would want to go through all the typical set up hassles to end up cut off!
benlewis

Postby max2 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:08 am

benlewis wrote:
webe3 wrote:

Sounds like for some (maybe more then some) having giganews at twice the price would not be as good as providers that are not as sensitive.

To NOT go with Giganews is a no brainer. I don't think I would want to go through all the typical set up hassles to end up cut off!

It wasn't Giganews fault.

The ISP is at fault.

His ISP sucks.
max2

Postby webe3 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:27 am

vans12 wrote:
max2 wrote:webe3 Bingo! Well done!

I think you were about to say that because it sounds like both of you work for giganews. but if you don't work for giganews you just need to let it go you don't have to fight to justify your over spending.

Now you want to say we are "overspending" because we have a service that doesn't let us down? Get a life.

I don't work for any newshosting service, but I did make a point about GN and somehow that makes you uncomfortable! Get over it.
webe3

Postby webe3 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:29 am

benlewis wrote:
webe3 wrote:

Well DON'T get an ISP that changes your IP address on a constant basis and you won't have to worry about it! Simple.
webe3

Postby nicklinus » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:44 am

webe3 wrote:
Well DON'T get an ISP that changes your IP address on a constant basis and you won't have to worry about it! Simple.

well for some, like me and it sounds like others they are limited on what ISP they can get. I only have 2 options and those are cable and DSL and their is no way I would ever go with DSl because I am to far away from the dslam so I would only get about 500kbits where on cable I get 3Mbits.
nicklinus

Postby paniq » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:54 am

Seems this is turning into an anti-giganews thread. I used to have GigaNews through an ISP, great provision, its just whether they are worth the extra cost.

Its a pity this thread isn't comparing all providers e.g. retention/completion/cost since user experience can differ from official figures!
paniq

Postby Fartingbob » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:09 am

Usenet-news.net
If you dont download 100's gigs a month then this is often better value for money than any monthly subscriber service. Very high retention (60+ days), it takes about 2 minutes to buy more gigs once you've registered, and they are better on price compared to the other block providers, who also offer lower retention.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby paniq » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:41 am

Fartingbob wrote:Usenet-news.net
If you dont download 100's gigs a month then this is often better value for money than any monthly subscriber service. Very high retention (60+ days), it takes about 2 minutes to buy more gigs once you've registered, and they are better on price compared to the other block providers, who also offer lower retention.

You posted similar thing on the Block Accounts thread. It does depend on what type of account you use depending on how much you download.
There seems to be:
- monthly quotas (pay per month for a limited download usually per day or per month). Can be good if only download a little
- unlimited (pay monthly and download what you want). Good if you download 100G's per month
- Block accounts (time unlimited download quota, only pay when you want to add another block of download). Can be useful if mainly uploading, or sporadically download
paniq

Postby Sfl0w » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:46 pm

There are so many resellers for the big usenet providers like Newhosting, Easynews and Giganews, it can be a headache to know which one to use, at least it was for me :)

First I used Giganews cause they had unlimited 70 day retention and it cost $24.99/month and the service was good but they are pretty much the most expensive provider around, unless you have wads of cash laying around...after a couple months with Giganews, I heard about Newshosting from a friend. After I found out what they offered I dropped Giganews and switched to Newshosting. I pay ~$15/month for unlimited downloads and right now I have 60+ day retention using NZBs, plus Newshosting is $120/year cheaper!

Hope this helps anyone looking for a NSP :)

check it,
http://www.newshosting.com/
I need more CowBell!!
Do it..you know you want to!
Sfl0w

Postby webe3 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:43 pm

Sfl0w wrote:There are so many resellers for the big usenet providers like Newhosting, Easynews and Giganews, it can be a headache to know which one to use, at least it was for me :)

First I used Giganews cause they had unlimited 70 day retention and it cost $24.99/month and the service was good but they are pretty much the most expensive provider around, unless you have wads of cash laying around...after a couple months with Giganews, I heard about Newshosting from a friend. After I found out what they offered I dropped Giganews and switched to Newshosting. I pay ~$15/month for unlimited downloads and right now I have 60+ day retention using NZBs, plus Newshosting is $120/year cheaper!

Hope this helps anyone looking for a NSP :)

check it,

OR you can give Giganews a try and get quality service and support. WAY worth it for the money!

http://www.giganews.com
webe3

Postby knighshade » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:29 pm

@sfl0w
Man you are so right, the choice is a total no brainer! Newshosting is crazy cheap and the service is killer. Giganews is a rip and a half ;)

Hey for the NZB users out there I just downed a 79d old NZB from Newshosting...hells yeah!
knighshade

Postby paniq » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:04 pm

I was using block accounts on my old a/c but upgraded to 8M (with peak limits) so was still using block a/c as downloading @ w/e only. Each weekend I'm doing 20-25GB without pushing, so time to look at unlimited accounts me thinks :D
paniq

Postby Sfl0w » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:21 pm

Sounds like its time for you to get a unlimited account, 25GB on a weekend DAMN das alot! :)

Check Newshosting they have 75+ d retention (unoficially) and unlimited is cheep as ballz ;)

I need more CowBell!!
Sfl0w

Postby Anonymous » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:24 pm

Reason why I dont like newshosting
Anonymous

Postby Sfl0w » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:46 pm

@LinkS

you don't like them but you do have an account...hmm..hehe I can only get 3mb service from my provider and NH maxes my pipe out all day long...plus your average speed is 800k that is freakin awesome, wish I could get that :) Where are you located and who is your provider? You probably need to change routes..
I need more CowBell!!
Sfl0w

Postby yaveznodo » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:59 pm

I switched from Giganews to Newhosting too. Had very little problem with it so far, well worth every penny :)
yaveznodo

Postby Anonymous » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:02 pm

Sfl0w wrote:@LinkS

you don't like them but you do have an account...hmm..hehe I can only get 3mb service from my provider and NH maxes my pipe out all day long...plus your average speed is 800k that is freakin awesome, wish I could get that :) Where are you located and who is your provider? You probably need to change routes..

I only got newshosting just for kicks I got it for one month ill make sure to cancel it when the time is over. Nothing over 150ms
Anonymous

Postby KoolKat » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:13 pm

Someone was saying they can get 70 day files with NZB's on NewsHosting, they were correct, last night i grabbed 5 files no incompletes at 68-70 days. My conn is maxed out with them at 5MB down, i been with them a long time and they keep me happy. Just wish they allowed unlimited users access to webnews. Longer retention is nice but more features would be great too.
KoolKat

PreviousNext

Return to NewsGroups