Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Macintosh Bittorrent Clients Comparison

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Macintosh Bittorrent Clients Comparison

Postby Dormant707 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:55 am

For any readers out there who wish to know which is the best BT client for Macs, here is a comparison:

There are lots of Macintosh Bittorrent Clients, and I’ve tested them all. Here is my lowdown - they are all free, of course ;)

Azureus - Simply the best. A CPU hog (it is in Java), but it gets all the torrents the other clients can’t. Seems to be the best for speed too, IMO. Highy configurable and a pleasure to use for power users, and also has the highest speed ratings because it has trackerless and uPnp support, besides a whole lotta plugins.

Bits on Wheels - This one would be my best overall choice. Very low CPU usage, great user interface, good customization, interesting ‘3d view’ of peers and seeders, and efficient most of the time, except for those torrents that only Azureus manages to start downloading somehow.

Transmission - Some people swear by this program because it is small and simple, but I find the CPU usage of it growing steadily, even more than Azureus when I am downloading 3 or more files, and the speed is inconsistent. Very few options, I don’t really like it but lots of people do. Usually gets the job done anyway with good speeds, though it tends to lock up sometimes.

Bittorrent - The official client. Not bad CPU usage, not very good speeds, a so-so client. Not worth getting, if you hate Azureus, get Bits on Wheels instead.

Tomato Torrent - Seems to have problems with a lot of torrents that should work, it has ben improving and sometimes I use it when downloading one or two torrents while I’m working on my computer because it’s the most lightweight client of them all.

Bitpump - Small program, just released, shows big potential (from what I’ve seem from the Windows version screens, the Mac one is still kinda rough) but now it is still too bugged.

Please warn me if I forgot any client and happy downloading ;)

Source
Dormant707

Postby LaX » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:07 am

Great, it should solve any mac users' problems. Sticky?
LaX

Postby HouseCrowd » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:11 pm

Thanks dannybhoi!

*sticky*
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby no_dammagE » Wed May 10, 2006 11:12 am

(it is in Java)

And Fortran and C/C++ apps are generally fast because they are Fortran or C/C++ apps. </irony>
Sorry I can't see that anymore.

As for everything else: !thumbsup!
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
no_dammagE

Postby nicklinus » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:37 am

yea I was search for just a basic bit torrent client for the mac that ran well because I used news groups most of the time and only got a torrent when i could not find the file on the news groups. Well I downloaded the new opera 9 with bulit in BT support and I must say it works alot better then I thought it would. I dont think you can seed your own torrent as far as I can tell but as far as downloading it works verry well.
nicklinus

Postby ranunculoid » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:28 pm

You left KTorrent off the list. It's a utorrent like client with more fetures and comperably minimal ram usage. Looks pretty too - there's screenshots on the website. it also supports protocol encryption. Instructions for compiling for mac can be found on it's website: http://www.ktorrent.org
ranunculoid

Return to BitTorrent