Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

www.winmx.com

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

www.winmx.com

Postby P2P_G » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:34 pm

When you go to http://www.winmx.com you will be redireced to winmxgroup! :) I don't know if this is new or old news :oops: hehe. The new patch is so damn cool, no fakes at all 8)
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby yaveznodo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:37 pm

So it's ressurrected now is it? How many users are actually on that network, and more importantly, how does it measure up to Soulseek?
yaveznodo

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:39 pm

i get an "access denied" error - not sure what to think :?
MrFredPFL

Postby LANjackal » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:42 pm

Link doesn't work for me either, but the patch works perfectly.

WinMX can't match Soulseek now, nor is it likey ever to do so since development on the core software is dead and there are much better performing alternatives available anyway.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby yaveznodo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:46 pm

Thanks Lan for the quick answer. I remember running WinmX way back and not liking it much, I had hoped that the new 'community' ressurrection might have given it a little oomph.

Oh well, Soulseek does the job for me :)
yaveznodo

Postby Dazzle » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:56 pm

A community is only as good as its members.

Ours are all veterans and will give any cartel a run for their money :)
Dazzle

Re: www.winmx.com

Postby Progz » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:00 pm

P2P_G wrote:When you go to http://www.winmx.com you will be redireced to winmxgroup! :) I don't know if this is new or old news :oops: hehe. The new patch is so damn cool, no fakes at all 8)

Code: Select all
Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.winmx.com.

*   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
          moments.

*   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
          connection.

*   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
          that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

its not working now at least.
Progz

Postby raar » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:12 pm

I get this:

*edit to change pic a bit so it wouldn't stretch your screen*
Last edited by raar on Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raar

Postby Exothermicus » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:13 pm

sounds like the the hosts file part of the patch is redirecting winmx.com to the group site instead of the url.

Exo
Visit: Libertarian Anarchist Website... I post opinion; not necessarily representating my own or that of Slyck.com. If you have problems with it, then your problems are massive; the opinion has already become public perception; legal action will only fuel your public adverseness.
Exothermicus

Postby Dazzle » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:22 pm

Yes Exothermicus is on the ball with this one.

winmx contains a small explorer bar that normally was black when froncode ran the network.
Now that they are not operating the peer caches this function has been utilised by both groups of users to show the patch update information, and this is done by adding a small line to the host file.

It is a sensible use of the otherwise empty box .
Dazzle

Postby abou105 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:10 am

LANjackal wrote:Link doesn't work for me either, but the patch works perfectly.

WinMX can't match Soulseek now, nor is it likey ever to do so since development on the core software is dead and there are much better performing alternatives available anyway.

i beg to differ, although MX cant perform against heavy weights like Gnutella BT and ED2k winmx and soulseek are similar and it is not as clear cut.

userbase, i think MX mite have a slightly larger userbase than soulseek

files, both these networks are known for rare files so once again i couldnt judge straight off but i knew that MX was always good for rare stuff even until its closure.

Multisource, Mx does and soulseek does not. I prefer soulseek because of this, but speeds are sometimes slow!

community, once again they are so similar here, both have a similar interface and use chat rooms.

I wouldnt say one beats the other, i mean MX is a 'dead' network and its users have kept it alive, that must show something.
Information is so valuable in todays society, its understandable people want to lock it up, but the internet is about freedom of information, lets not take that away.
abou105

Postby P2P_G » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:28 am

Exothermicus wrote:sounds like the the hosts file part of the patch is redirecting winmx.com to the group site instead of the url.

Exo

aha :wink:
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby Keyser_Soze » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:11 am

PIE Patch 3.1 - Major Update

PIE Patch 3.1 now available.

Fixes bug causing Australia, Asia, and Africa regions to not connect.
Removes WinMX Group controlled caches due to irresponsible actions by the owner.

Download at:
http://www.mxpie.com/downloads.html

Please update to PIE Patch 3.1 as soon as possible.

The owner of WinMXGroup is damaging the WinMX network in such a way that when user using PIE Patches belov version 3.1 connects to WinMX through WinMXGroup's servers, their nickname will get hijacked, showing in the channel like nickname123_50, not the regularnickname123_12345.

Due to this the user will not be able to enter any WinMX chatrooms or stay logged in to Ouka rooms. This is not happen with Pie Patch 3.1 since it has no reference to WinMXGroup (KM's) servers.

In the same manner of tactics, if you are a PIE user who connects through a WinMXGroup Peercache with a pre-3.1 patch, you may see a fake room on the list asking you to update your patch at WinMXgroup.com. This is not a message from the PIE Team. Please disregard it and get your PIE Patch update from http://www.mxpie.com.

I urge everyone to update immediently. Updating will also help the network by evenly balancing the load between the servers. There is one server that is currently experiencing longer connection times than usual due to a heavy burden on it.

Thank you for your cooperation!

http://www.gemini777.net/viewtopic.php?t=576
Keyser_Soze

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:18 am

I hate all this nonsense that is going on betwen these two groups. Ive been using winmxgroups version for awhile and have noticed zero plemlems. It actually works better than ever. Its hard for me to believe they are trying to do anything to hurt the winmx community.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby Keyser_Soze » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:31 am

To be honest I've always used the MXPie patch and I've never had any problems except for the last few days when I've tried to connect to the Asia servers. I've had to switch to the Europe servers temporarily and I wonder if my not being able to connect to the Asia servers currently has anything to do with the above. But I agree that in-fighting doesn't help any of the users at all - there should be more agreement and co-operation that conflict.
Keyser_Soze

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:44 am

agreed, the infighting between these 2 groups is an embarrassment to the whole community, and it has been going strong for months.

the explanation about nick hijacking frankly made no sense to me. so, i thought, i'll follow the posted link to get more info. lo and behold, i find a forum with a topic which has no more or less info than keyser's post (seeing as you pasted it all :) )
at this point, logic would say hey, just post a reply, and ask for more info. too bad the topic is locked :roll:

btw - i sincerely hope the pie team has finally reined in the spammers (one in particular) who love to go around to every forum they can find and post ridiculous "hey look what i just found" stories. trust me when i say that person (who has already been banned from countless forums) does your cause more harm than good.
MrFredPFL

Postby P2P_G » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:01 pm

Winmxgroup is better, because you do not get any fake search results!
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby Dazzle » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:40 pm

Some of you here may know I represent a non pie site and along with you all I agree the fighting is getting a little out of hand.

The reason for many of pies problems are in there own hands and I have had hundreds of posts complaining of Censorship on vladds site of the more viable winmxgroup solution which I of course support for technical reasons.

As I see the allegations have been placed on this forum I feel its only fair for me to respond to them.

On the 31st of may a change was made in the IP,s of two peer caches as it was noticed during a routine check of the logs that a denial of service attack had been ongoing and this was a simple pre prepared way to avoid those perpetrating the attacks, the plan originally involved rotating the peer cache addresses which would have no affect on the winmx group users but pie users would be affected so this was shelved and a single change was notified in the usual manner of previous change notices, a public posting

http://www.winmxworld.com/forum2/index. ... 425.0.html

This so far would have caused a mere delay in connecting and should have been the time to issue an updated host file, but lets move forward in time two weeks.

Problem 2 arose for the pie team, Rocks peer cache (209) went down and all further pie traffic was diverted to Leps peer cache (82.4, this is a home connection and as can be expected it was soon overwhelmed with traffic.

The release of the new winmxgroup patch was a news aricle here and has proved a major success with those using its new fake blocking features.

Now we come to the cause of the renewed fighting, user who had discovered the new patch and posted on vladds site regarding how well it worked and that it connected instantly found their posts being deleted, depriving others from finding the alternative connection solution.

Users going to the vladd44 rooms where also being mislead regarding the new patch development, many being told horror stories such as it was a trojan, didnt work with routers, damaged windows and many other untrue allegations.

We and I speak on behalf of winmxworld and winmxgroup do not support this type of censorship or action against winmx users who only wish to connect.

We are also unhappy regarding advertisements found on vladds and the mxpie site for pay winmx, we feel this is wrong and this is not the first time we have seen these advertisements there or complained.

For the information of those who may be puzzled by such strange activity and why the stakes are so high regarding this matter, the pie/host file users are the sole source of access for Macrovisions flooders into the WPN,it is next to impossible to upload fake file lists to a primary winmxgroup patch user.

I have very much respect for all the posters here and had not wished for this "internal" matter to spread over into the wider world of p2p, but as it has done I am quiet willing to answer any further questions on this matter to satisfy those who have concerns and wish answers.
Dazzle

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:45 pm

thanks for the info, dazzle :)

can you shed any light on this alleged nick hijacking situation?
MrFredPFL

Postby chuck » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:09 pm

There is a interesting thread on the Winmxgroup forum pertaining to the editing and deleteing of post on the forum used by the Pie Team on vladd44.com

The thread and screen caps to back up what is going on by Vladd and the pie team , can be found here ( well there are 3 threads there now.

Titled (More of Vladd's "Free Speech)

http://www.winmxworld.com/forum2/index. ... pic=2604.0

Titled (VLADD'S CENSORS POSTS...So much for free speech)

http://www.winmxworld.com/forum2/index. ... pic=2590.0

Titled (WINMX WORLD VS VLADD44)

http://www.winmxworld.com/forum2/index. ... pic=2474.0

This is verry sad to say the lest.

The brake down on the Patches is this :

Pie patch: Is a modified host file used to redrect all calls to Mx to servers ran by mxworld and pie. Ithas no way to block fake files or to update its self you need to do check the pie web site for updates to the host file.

Some 3rd party programs that one supported the pie host file have now stoped , one such program is Sherwood a fake file blocking program.

When asked why RobinHood stated : (The reason Sherwood has been discontinued is that Winmxgroup have incorporated foolproof fake file flood blocking into their patch. Using a hosts file and an ip blocking addon to connect to the winmx network is obselete and heavy on resources. The Dill file offered by winmxworld.com has many advantages over MxPie hosts file.

1.automatically blocks fake files
2.automatically updates to reflect changes in the peer cache IP's
3.automatically blocks fake search results

Dill patch: Handles the redrecting to peer cache servers automaticly.

Updates its self automaticly.

Blocks fake files and flooders by use of a matained block list. Taken from winmxworld site (3.0 updates every 5 minutes)

The Dill patch can be found @ http://www.winmxworld.com/

The pie patch can be found @ http://www.vladd44.com/

As always its up to the user what patch to use.
chuck

Postby -KM- » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:11 pm

http://www.winmxworld.com/forum2/index. ... l#msg15228

i have already been asked about vladd and co's claims and that was my reply, i think i know where they got the idea for such a stupid claim, however as you can see from my reply they are merely spreading shit to try and scare users away from winmx
-KM-

Postby Dazzle » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:15 pm

Yes I can answer that mystery also :)

The users who have not been able to connect using pie patch where left with non operative winmx systems and so we decided to take the initiative in helping these users back onto the network, this was done by bringing a reserve winmxgroup cache serve online on the old alternative address that was in the pie patch and direct these users to an update message thats told them their patch was in need of updating.

We feel that this action is in the best interest of the users and the network, as losing users is not in the interests of ourselves or pie.

Users who received the message that appeared on the channel list and on a single search result, where confused as to what was happening but at no time where they connected to the wpn, the connection was dropped after a time thought long enough for the users to read what was happening and take action.

What I beleive happened in some cases is that users who entered the update server used a facility of winmx to connect via TCP to a chatroom directly and as the connection dropped at the update server their name numbers where reassigned again as they re-entered the update server again,and this was reflected in the chat room seeing a change in usernames, Of course we had tried to cover all the angles in asking people to upgrade their patches, but it seems some folks neither bother with a roomlisting or search for files and these where the only methods we had to contact those on defunct pie patches.

I hope that clears up the mystery, I would like to add only one member of the pie team (Unique) asked for the information above and I readily appraised him with the same information posted here
Dazzle

Postby Keyser_Soze » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:47 pm

Jesus talk about a can of worms. Sort your sh!t out guys. This public rowing is funny but also embarrassing. I have no idea which patch to use now after reading all the "our patch is better than your patch" posts. E-mail each other and sort your sh!t out privately. I make a post about a new patch and then I discover World War III.

Not impressed at all guys. :shock:
Keyser_Soze

Postby Dazzle » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:06 pm

Only one patch blocks flooders, fake file listings and will never require updating to point to new caches.

The choice of what you use is of course yours but spare a thought for the rest of us.
Dazzle

Postby ..Ñøßߥ.. » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:16 am

A new Pie auto patch will shortly be available, it will block flooders and ofc have the added bonus of transparency, as the source will be available, this will ensure users that prefer to know and trust what they are installing on their pcs can see for themselves.
..Ñøßߥ..

Next

Return to WinMX