Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

eDonkey 2000 1.4.5 Is Out

Discussion about the eDonkey program and both the eDonkey2000 network and the Overnet Network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

eDonkey 2000 1.4.5 Is Out

Postby SharedHolder » Tue May 23, 2006 12:54 pm

eDonkey 2000 1.4.5 Beta

http://download.overnet.com/edonkey1.4.5.exe

No changelog as usual.
SharedHolder

Postby Andu » Tue May 23, 2006 1:55 pm

Isn't a client without a changelog almost useless? How should someone know if the switch it worth it. For all you know they could introduce a feature that would put very strict DRM on every file that you download.
Andu

Postby yaveznodo » Tue May 23, 2006 2:11 pm

Is it still infested with various pieces of nasty spyware?
yaveznodo

Postby qm2003 » Tue May 23, 2006 2:13 pm

It is beyond me, how someone could use a commercial, non-open-source filesharing client in these times, and willingly.

Just beyond ... :?
qm2003

Postby NocturnalVagabond » Tue May 23, 2006 5:05 pm

Umm... because it works better.
I've used emule - it was too slow, and Kad can be an overhead hog.
I'm not going to get into a "which client is better" debate because its pointless - for some, emule seems to work fine. For me and many others, edonkey does.
As for the spyware issue - offline install and problem solved.

That being said, it should be pointed out that Jed has not officially released either version 1.4.4 or 1.4.5 as yet. It would seem this version is still in alpha testing and anyone using it does so entirely at their own risk. When a new version is ready for beta testing (or release), the home page and forum will be updated accordingly.
NocturnalVagabond
Tin Foil Hat Salesperson

Postby Allied » Tue May 23, 2006 5:10 pm

I like horde and Overnet... that's about it.
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby yaveznodo » Tue May 23, 2006 5:24 pm

You could just forget Emule and use Lphant lite. I've found it works just as good as the spyware ridden Edonkey 2000, and no offline install mess to bother with.
yaveznodo

Postby chrisy » Wed May 24, 2006 6:58 am

This versions are unofficial test versions. You should not use them, because bad things COULD happen.
chrisy

Postby Iron » Thu May 25, 2006 6:50 pm

yaveznodo wrote:You could just forget Emule and use Lphant lite.

Who really wants to install .NET?
Iron

Postby yaveznodo » Thu May 25, 2006 7:04 pm

I'd assume anybody who wants to use .Net applications would install .Net. Like the excellent Paint.net, for one. Or the pretty good avi.net
yaveznodo

Postby SharedHolder » Fri May 26, 2006 12:15 am

SharedHolder

Postby cctv » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:50 pm

ok what is this nonsense, this issue has been going for too long now, what is this vulnerability, and pop up by IE (yah i know how to get around, graet fix btw, IE file, offline, start ednk, restart IE)..but why should I , what is MM, trying to pull with this b/s
cctv

Postby cavarks » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:57 pm

cctv wrote:ok what is this nonsense, this issue has been going for too long now, what is this vulnerability, and pop up by IE (yah i know how to get around, graet fix btw, IE file, offline, start ednk, restart IE)..but why should I , what is MM, trying to pull with this b/s

Well people did ask this on the forum until the forum was pulled/fellover and never fixed. Been getting this for weeks
-----
"Not Found
The requested URL / was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "
-----

So i held my breath and switched to emule, funny part was it was not as painful as i thought, still i don't think it any better on speed, just has a forum that works. :shock: Not much to ask huh?

M.
cavarks

Postby zbeast » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:15 pm

Well if you buy the Pro version then they say it
has no ad's.
If you use the "free" version it has banner ad's and
you have to install WhenU Save!
It's not spyware because there telling you that there
installing it. Wink, Wink.

"To use eDonkey for free, you must keep Save! software on your comptuer.
Save! show you targeted ads and coupons based on the Web content you view,
Save! ads slide or pop up in front of or behind your browser, are always branded Save!
and tell you they are coming from software - not Websites."

Unquote.
zbeast

Postby IceCube » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:13 pm

NocturnalVagabond wrote: Kad can be an overhead hog.

Code: Select all
Uploaded data: 933.79GB
Kad Overhead: 4.28GB

I can't complain personally. :\
IceCube

Postby LANjackal » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:03 am

Iron wrote:Who really wants to install .NET?

No one specifically wants to, but then again the same is true of Java or just about any other environment. Most people only care about the output of what they're doing, not the underlying processes. .NET's actually extremely popular. See here.

As for ED2K, I finally ditched it after being fed up with the fakes and the lack of exclusive content on the network. Unless other cleaner clients become available for Overnet, I doubt I'll be using that network anyway.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Overnet User » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:37 am

As for ED2K, I finally ditched it after being fed up with the fakes and the lack of exclusive content on the network. Unless other cleaner clients become available for Overnet, I doubt I'll be using that network anyway.

just use the old overnet stand alone client if you don't want to use the edonkey also or just install the new edonkey offline. I haven't had a problem with fakes at all in a long time and my hashlinks are still good after I have been working on them on and off for about a year or so lots 24hours 2 days then rotate, and others it may be months till I start them back up, still good and I can still add new hashlinks from sites. (Look to the left of Slyck "Top Ed2k Sites"
Why Join The Fight?
http://www.eff.org/bloggers/join/
News Without Queues: Follow OvernetUser on Twitter http://twitter.com/OvernetUser
Overnet User

Postby Gadget » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:38 am

zbeast wrote:If you use the "free" version it has banner ad's and

Yo don't have to have the WhenU Save! package installed.

If the user disconnects from the net before the eDonkey install, then the WhenU Save! package cannot be downloaded during the install.

@cavarks ... the forum server died, as far as I am still aware, Jed was waiting for a replacement. :wink:
Gadget

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:56 am

Gadget wrote:
zbeast wrote:If you use the "free" version it has banner ad's and

Yo don't have to have the WhenU Save! package installed.

If the user disconnects from the net before the eDonkey install, then the WhenU Save! package cannot be downloaded during the install.

technically, i don't doubt the truth of that statement. but realistically - how many users realize that? i think it's a safe bet that the number of users who do not know about that little trick, and don't figure it out on their own, is a minimum of 95% - probably higher. does the install process TELL them they can disconnect to avoid getting the crapware bundled in?
MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Postby Gadget » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:16 am

MrFredPFL wrote:but realistically - how many users realize that?

You're right, I suspect there are a vast amount of people that don't know or realise that the WhenU Save! package doesn't have to be installed.

... & it's hardly of any use to say this once the user has already installed eDonkey, but there are topics relating to this trick on various forums, among them, the eDonkey forum itself (when it's online :roll: ).

:wink:
Gadget

Postby Iron » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:17 pm

LANjackal wrote:
Iron wrote:Who really wants to install .NET?

No one specifically wants to, but then again the same is true of Java or just about any other environment. Most people only care about the output of what they're doing, not the underlying processes. .NET's actually extremely popular. See here.

That is true, but I can't think of a single .NET application that I use (or would want to use given that I don't have .NET installed). Java on the other hand is also used for Applets which IMO makes it at the very least a tad bit more useful than .NET. I will admit that I am slightly biased towards Java since I did write MetFileRegenerator and write Java code for a living.
Iron

Return to eDonkey2000 / Overnet