Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

MP2P Stats?

Discuss the clients (Piolet, Blubster, RockItNet) that connect to the Manolito P2P network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

MP2P Stats?

Postby darknirvana666 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:25 pm

Why in your stats mp2p network is at 0, over at zeropaid.com they think that the network is down. So some were not able to connect, I was able to. According to my blubster 2.50 by Dr. Damn there are 252,893 users online. This is just a hey look at this, and since slyck.com is such a highly recommended p2p news site, I did not feel that the mp2p had to have 0 in its stats.
darknirvana666

Re: mp2p Stats

Postby P2P_G » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:52 pm

darknirvana666 wrote:Why in your stats mp2p network is at 0, over at zeropaid.com they think that the network is down. So some were not able to connect, I was able to. According to my blubster 2.50 by Dr. Damn there are 252,893 users online. This is just a hey look at this, and since slyck.com is such a highly recommended p2p news site, I did not feel that the mp2p had to have 0 in its stats.

Yeah thats wierd, the mp2p network is not dead at all! and it cant die! because is does not use servers! The mp2p clints are dead but the network is alive :wink:
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Re: mp2p Stats

Postby Allied » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:41 pm

because is does not use servers

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't every client need to download a server list or connect to a web cache or something?

Someone's got to be paying for the hosting of those servers.
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby IneptVagrant » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:29 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't every client need to download a server list or connect to a web cache or something?

No you don't. Some networks, mearly require knowing someone on the network to connect, this is known as bootstraping. Once connected your assigned an ID and given the location of many other clients, then you communicate with the rest of the network.

The many clients each store the location of a small set of the files on the network, so you don't have to reach the whole network, to find something.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby tm, » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:13 am

I also get 252893 users. MP2P seems to be a network that has an extremely constant user count that has hardly changed for years.
tm,

Postby sonnentier » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:35 am

@allied decentral networks
Not every Network needs a cache, they can save hosts on disk and hope for static IP users. And other methods.
It's not only theory, an example is Gnutella. It is completely decentralized. It started like this, and would also be usable like that today. It also uses Webcaches, but MP2P actually has a similar method called "Gateways".
Unfortunately, nobody cares about MP2P, so i don't know much about gateways, or a gateway software, or a gateway server other than the official ones.
If however one static IP server would run it all time, everyone can connect by typing this as start node.

@tm, constant users
Yes, it seems the last time nobody cares about MP2P. When it was launched, it got some attention. After that, more and more people changed to ADSL and lost connection (because of avoiding the ,complicating´ settings). Also some new came in, but because of the difficult connecting thing not too many and not much recommendations, I guess. You don't get much newbies/starters so it is pretty constant I think.

MP2P history
It would be very sad if you would just let it die. I hope, it can live without anything central (with local hostcache). Or that someone gives a possibility to run, or runs, a gateway. Or static(dedicated) node. It was possible to ressurrect WinMX, which was rather difficult, MP2P would be so much easier, but somehow nobody cares.

stats
I wonder why the stats is 0 however, on this page it is like it was always: http://app1.mp2p.net/netstatus/
sonnentier

Postby roomy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:46 am

You guys still rely on Slyck's Stats ?! they have to be

the worst around.

MP2P stats here were never accurate , Gnutella stats haven't changed since December 6th 2005, Flietopia is a joke same with Edonkey's unreliable server stats.

Slyck is no longer a credible source. It's time to move on .
roomy

Postby LiveTS » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:03 am

Check that lil' expanded link at the bottom you might find it more informative. :)

expanded stats beta (MP2P) wrote:2006 Month: 4 Avg Users: 126,447
Ain't no motor like a martyr made motor 'cause a martyr made motor don't quit.
LiveTS

Postby nms04 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:32 am

tm, wrote:I also get 252893 users. MP2P seems to be a network that has an extremely constant user count that has hardly changed for years.

i'm sure the stats r faked! i think most of the users migrated to other networks since of the dead developement of the 2 main clients ... and the stats r a bit to constant to be real ;)
nms04

Postby LaX » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:49 am

LiveTS wrote:Check that lil' expanded link at the bottom you might find it more informative. :)

expanded stats beta (MP2P) wrote:2006 Month: 4 Avg Users: 126,447

That just proves Slyck stats are kinda fried. Why else would it suddenly drop? It should be over the 200,000 range.
LaX

Postby LiveTS » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:57 am

Mm, but only ten days into April, it's gonna be a little shot check the previous months.
LiveTS

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:30 am

ok flame me if you must lol - but what difference does reported stats make anyway? you either like the software u use, or u don't. u either find what u are looking for on a particular network, or u don't. u either get speeds you are happy with on a particular network, or u don't. what difference does some listing of user numbers make, especially considering that those numbers are guesses anyway? but even if they were 100% accurate, with a 0% margin of error, would it really matter?
MrFredPFL

Postby LiveTS » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:42 am

Ahh no flame necessary, but it may matter to some people who may be upgrading the site to Slyck2.0?....ahem. :D
LiveTS

Postby jim241 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:04 pm

I have not read all of the above, but at the end of the day the amount of users that mp2p is showing at the moment is the amount of users the 'Kazaa' one should be showing. Although its not an actual network you know exactly what I mean. :shock:

edit: Looking in the expanded stats, its obvious where they have gone:

Network Stats for FastTrack

2006 Month: 1 Avg Users: 2,463,420
2006 Month: 2 Avg Users: 2,784,714
2006 Month: 3 Avg Users: 2,926,398
2006 Month: 4 Avg Users: 3,163,659

:evil:
jim241

Postby JiMiThInG » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:09 pm

sonnentier wrote:@allied decentral networks
Not every Network needs a cache, they can save hosts on disk and hope for static IP users. And other methods.
It's not only theory, an example is Gnutella. It is completely decentralized. It started like this, and would also be usable like that today. It also uses Webcaches, but MP2P actually has a similar method called "Gateways".
Unfortunately, nobody cares about MP2P, so i don't know much about gateways, or a gateway software, or a gateway server other than the official ones.
If however one static IP server would run it all time, everyone can connect by typing this as start node.

@tm, constant users
Yes, it seems the last time nobody cares about MP2P. When it was launched, it got some attention. After that, more and more people changed to ADSL and lost connection (because of avoiding the ,complicating´ settings). Also some new came in, but because of the difficult connecting thing not too many and not much recommendations, I guess. You don't get much newbies/starters so it is pretty constant I think.

MP2P history
It would be very sad if you would just let it die. I hope, it can live without anything central (with local hostcache). Or that someone gives a possibility to run, or runs, a gateway. Or static(dedicated) node. It was possible to ressurrect WinMX, which was rather difficult, MP2P would be so much easier, but somehow nobody cares.

stats
I wonder why the stats is 0 however, on this page it is like it was always: http://app1.mp2p.net/netstatus/

One cool thing about MP2P and its connection method is this. While it uses 'gateways' to connect. (The client has several http:// addresses it checks for a list of ip's known to be connected to mp2p) if the gateways are unreachable it has a 2nd way to connect. It uses UDP to scan ranges of IP's that are known to have MP2P clients connected. That way even if the forces behind MP2P pull the gateway sites to let the program die it should still work.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
JiMiThInG

MP2P

Postby sonnentier » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:26 pm

JiMiThInG wrote:It uses UDP to scan ranges of IP's that are known to have MP2P clients connected.
That's very cool, I always wished tools would have something like this :)
Where do you know the method from?
Do you know from which level it does this? (xxx.xxx.xxx.yyy, xxx.xxx.yyy.yyy, .. )

@jim241
Sorry, I don't know exactly what you mean.
That the current 'Kazaa' numbers are too high?
sonnentier

Postby LaX » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:01 am

The FT users are rising!
LaX

Postby P2P_G » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:33 am

LaX wrote:The FT users are rising!

Ohh My GOD :S How cam FT users rising ?! Damn! people who uses FT are dumb ! FT is the worst network off them all! Why does people not try gnutella or mp2p 4 mp3 downloading? :)

WHEN GONNA FASTTRACK DIE ?!
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

FT

Postby sonnentier » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:33 am

What do you think, are the numbers of FT users true?

I also pity that so much seem to use FT- with the Sharman client! (I guess many do so)

The computers and connection of these newbs, as well as the people themselves, should not require to use that.
They might be intelligent (only in filesharing very limited), their computers might be fast and their connections fast. Their library very useful. But then they use that crap and waste everything!

I guess most would use some other network if someone showed them. If they knew where to look. If they took SOME time for that issue. But many don't. They use nothing. Or only iTunes without seeing other online music downloading or knowing other exist.
Or use Kazaa. Use Kazaa. Kazaa. ...
sonnentier

Return to Manolito P2P (MP2P)