Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

ED2K vs. Bit Torrent?

Discussion about the eDonkey program and both the eDonkey2000 network and the Overnet Network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

ED2K vs. Bit Torrent?

Postby eyelevel » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:00 pm

Using Bit Torrent to d/l files has been great up untill I got a couple DMCA warnings from my ISP. They caught me by watching the tracker of the file I was d/ling. I was wondering how safe ED2K is? I understand theres risk no matter what, but how easy is it to catch someone on this network?
eyelevel

Postby zbeast » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:09 pm

your ISP? are you on cable or dsl.
Your ISP should not be sending you notices just passing it on from some other outside company.
zbeast

Postby eyelevel » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:13 pm

Well, yea thats what I mean.

So would you say ED2K is less riskier than Bit Torrent? Does ED2K use trackers?
eyelevel

Postby movieguy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:00 am

No ED2K uses servers...... to them its all basically the same, to me servers = easier to get caught but thats my opinion....but they (ISP) still count the gigs you download...so if they see a high count, maybe someone will moniter then (safe to stay around no more than 50 gigs month, more than that will draw attention..i usually top out a 40 gigs a month but thats real heavy for me, never go over that)

Anything is possible but remember...

P2P IN ANY FORM IS NOT SAFE
movieguy

Location: On the other side of this 27in widescreen monitor baby

Postby Anonymous » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:08 am

movieguy wrote:P2P IN ANY FORM IS NOT SAFE

What if your at an airport, hotel, internet cafe, or next to a lazy neighbor who has wireless access???
Anonymous

Postby nikt » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:08 am

I think it`s pretty easy to track down anyone in both cases.

Just take any ed2k client , share or download any specific file , and record IP adresses of persons interacting with your client over internet. There was even an ed2k based application called Spymule designed for that specific purpose

What is SPYmule ?
SPYmule is a file sharing client which is based on the eDonkey2000 network. It offers some advanced features in comparison with the standard eMule clients. SPYmule accelerates the detection of movements in the P2P network. It assists to observe developments in the branch of file sharing and it simplifies the ascertainment of users. With the WHOIS query and the IP logging database you are able to specify the downloaders and uploaders of your digital property to ameliorate your sales policy and marketing organisation. SPYmule supports marketing strategy and unconventional marketing. In addition it helps to localize infringements of your rights. SPYmule is under the restriction of the GPL – Open Source
nikt

Postby LaX » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:23 am

I may be a bit picky, but it should be better to change your title a bit. With the current title, it looks a bit like a comparison of the two, which makes a few people to ignore.
LaX

Postby Andu » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:06 pm

Well you might be able to get lost in the flow on ed2k if you use Kad only. Since Kad is a DHT and there is no central hub which they can monitor it is more likely that you will be able to do your filesharing unnoticed among the millions of Kad users.

This doesn't mean that you are safe tho. If they are monitoring the swarms rather than the trackers/servers (and I think that's mostly the case on ed2k) then you might receive a new DMCA notice sooner or later.
Andu

Postby nikt » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:28 pm

Andu wrote :

Well you might be able to get lost in the flow on ed2k if you use Kad only. Since Kad is a DHT and there is no central hub which they can monitor it is more likely that you will be able to do your filesharing unnoticed among the millions of Kad users.

No matter what network you use , You are transmitting data directly from/to another users computer , which means your IP is always visible.
Ed2k servers and kad network are ONLY transferring search queries and results.
nikt

Postby Andu » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:47 pm

While you are right with that and being a long time ed2k user I know that there is still the advantage of being able to merge in a huge pool of users.
Andu

Postby Ratt » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:15 am

And it is easier to diversify your downloads with material that is either legal or is in a legal gray area...simply because there is more material to be found on ED2K than on any other network, period. Users hide among users, downloads hide among downloads.

Kad offers no protection beyond removing the threat involved in a take-down of a server like Razorback, where a record of users might be found. But that's still something.
Ratt

Postby Overnet User » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:08 pm

you could always use strait overnet also to get by without the servers.
Why Join The Fight?
http://www.eff.org/bloggers/join/
News Without Queues: Follow OvernetUser on Twitter http://twitter.com/OvernetUser
Overnet User

Postby IneptVagrant » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:00 am

Overnet User wrote:you could always use strait overnet also to get by without the servers.

Kad is the same concept, serverless network. It should be noted; Kad is part of an eMule client. Its optional if you want to be connected to a server and/or to Kad.

Or you can use either eDonkey2000 or Overnet, but not both at the same time.

Just different clients/programs that do the same thang, and access the same network.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby Trev0r269 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:44 am

IneptVagrant wrote:
Overnet User wrote:you could always use strait overnet also to get by without the servers.

Or you can use either eDonkey2000 or Overnet, but not both at the same time.

That is incorrect unles I'm understanding wrong. In the ED2K client Overnet connects by default and the user manually connects to an ED2K server or sets the options to auto-connect. It not one or the other.
Trev0r269

Postby jim241 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:45 pm

I realise this was not one of the choices in your question?

Maybe this could be a good time for you to try Usenet?

Only people who know what your downloading from there is the Usenet Provider and your ISP.

:?:
jim241

Postby Andu » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:48 pm

Yea Usenet is nice tho it's a bit less convenient that p2p networks and since most ISPs don't give you any access to the good newsgroups you have to pay for someone who does.
Andu

Return to eDonkey2000 / Overnet