Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

New WPN Compatible Half-Client Released

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

New WPN Compatible Half-Client Released

Postby Dazzle » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:45 am

This was recently posted on the forum I help at and looks a promising start :)

http://away.kiev.ua/?winzo

I have checked it out and its basically the file sharing half of a client with no chat functions which may disappoint some users, but it does actually work so there is hope for future developement I think.

This appears to be one of at least 2 efforts to make a compatible client for the network so I look forward to checking that one out also when its released (soon I hope ..lol ).
Dazzle

Postby Widdle » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:27 pm

That's encouraging, but without an organized open-source project, how will the protocol itself get updated without causing a network fracture?
Widdle

Postby Dazzle » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:42 am

Thats always a valid concern Widdle, but folks like myself rush about sharing info and snippets of tech data so have no worry about that.
As you may not be aware the WPN protocol has a few client specific instructions due to the many rounds of beta testing so there is not any real chance of a fracture of the network or its users, all clients have to accept the main protocols and new ones can be coded in seamlessly, older clients would just disregard any "enhanced protocol" packet types as being unrecognised.

I,m sure the release of winzo will prove a welcome catalyst for developers and the single winzo developer has already made clear he will open src the client once it is in a more mature technical state.
I think he wishes to redraught some of the code to make it more portable and upgradable and seemed a nice guy to boot :D
Dazzle

Postby Keyser_Soze » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:53 am

I've just sent an e-mail saying well done for developing WinZO. The screenshot looks very good and I think the developer should pursue this and not give up. At some point maybe WinZO should be open source with an account at SourceForge.

But well done I've got to say - I'm very impressed that this is being developed. Well done! :)
Keyser_Soze

winzo

Postby silversurfer » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:40 pm

deff nice design
few things still need doing to it
ie primary protocall
browser / whois/ pm / ect
all so at the mo its only a leech client
shows promiseing for the furture
most deff be gd if open source
silversurfer

Postby Dazzle » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:21 am

There is a new release of this client (1.04) that now includes chat function along with the file transfer capabilities.

The source code for it has been released although its programmed in c# so it may find a slower uptake that a similar c++ program, its generating much interest all the same.

http://away.kiev.ua/?winzo

2006.03.14 21:03
WinZO 1.04 released

The main addition is the chat client.
Also features experimental AVI files checking, an ability to check AVI videos while downloading and redownload detected broken parts.
Some minor bugs were fixed.
Starting with this release WinZO is distributed with sources under GPL licence.

All-in-all a welcome move by "Amon Duul", cheers Amon 8)
Dazzle

Postby abou105 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:19 pm

its nice to see somethign coming along, nice to har some news on our side, as i dont visit other forums much, cheers ddue and keep me posted :D
Information is so valuable in todays society, its understandable people want to lock it up, but the internet is about freedom of information, lets not take that away.
abou105

Postby Dazzle » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:38 pm

Your Welcome Abou105.

I try not to spam this forum with useless announcements but I think this developement is a shot in the arm for those looking to a future open source full WPN client, so I decided to keep this particular one up to date.

We have seen 2 chat server updates this week too but those are nothing near as interesting to folks as this has been :)
Dazzle

Postby Keyser_Soze » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:55 pm

It's very promising that it's been updated. I'll give it a whirl tonight when I get home. I've submitted the details to BetaNews today and we'll see if it gets listed or not.
Keyser_Soze

Postby Keyser_Soze » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:32 am

Check out WinZO at:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/WinZO/1142514897/1

Anyone noticed this? WinMX, Winny, WinZO (WinOZ backwards) - MX, NY, OZ - amazing how much affect WinMX has had eh. ;)
Keyser_Soze

What is a "half-client?"

Postby water.skipper » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:08 am

Is it a client or not?
web browser: Opera
file manager: Directory Opus
media player: VLC media player
philanthropy: LigandFit
water.skipper

Postby Dazzle » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:32 pm

Hi water Skipper, winzo is currently a secondary only client that operates through a primary, allowing most of the client features that a comparative secondary winmx user would have.

The programmer ("Amon Duul")is working to make improvements and has yet to mount an assualt upon the primary protcol but its not far off I,m sure, give it a little time and I hope we will see full client functionality from his project.
Dazzle

Return to WinMX