Slyck.com
 
Slyck Chatbox - And More

What server do you use now Razorback2 is gone?

Discussion about the eDonkey program and both the eDonkey2000 network and the Overnet Network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

What server do you use now Razorback2 is gone?

Postby Cory » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:31 am

I was curious to find out if most people have found a new 'razorback' since it went down. By that I mean a server you normally connect to, and are happy with its prformance.
|4,8,15,16,23,42| Get 'Lost'
User avatar
Cory
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:35 am

Postby tay_highfield » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:39 am

Tend to use Kad a lot more now, really is very efficient at finding sources.

If I am going to use an server it is one of the three Donkey Servers.
Should really think of something to put here.
tay_highfield
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:00 pm
Location: UK.

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:45 pm

DonkeyServer No's 1-6 mostly
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
User avatar
HouseCrowd
 
Posts: 33862
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:18 am
Location: UK

Postby nikt » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:38 pm

I use none :P Kad gives me more than enough sources

But if I had to I would do like HouseCrawd wrote :

DonkeyServer No's 1-6 mostly


Those aren`t fake
User avatar
nikt
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:00 pm

Postby IceCube » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:49 pm

What HC said and every so often, I'll find myself connected to DoingDo and some porno server. :?

I still have a number of safe servers in my static list and I'll connect to a different server on occasion... just how eMule connects to the servers is all.

Some people mentioned BigBanG, but I have yet to add them.
User avatar
IceCube
 
Posts: 17079
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:31 pm
Location: Igloo Country?

Postby P2P_G » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:45 pm

DonkeyServer No's 1-6 ;)
Piracy Will Never Die.
User avatar
P2P_G
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:27 pm

Postby Hypnotoad » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:19 am

It doesn't matter. Connect to one server and you eventally connect to all of them anyway via source exchange. Also, as servers don't host files it makes even less difference which one you connect to.
User avatar
Hypnotoad
 
Posts: 4555
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: Bristol UK

Postby swoosh » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:36 am

tay_highfield wrote:Tend to use Kad a lot more now, really is very efficient at finding sources.

If I am going to use an server it is one of the three Donkey Servers.

Exactly the same here. What I do miss a lot though is the history page for a file you download :( Are there alternatives?
swoosh
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:05 am

Postby Ratt » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:13 pm

Kad, all the time. When I'm trawling for an extremely rare file, I briefly switch on Donkeyserver No2 to search it (No1 is bigger but the search does not appear to function half the time).
User avatar
Ratt
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:50 pm

Postby doofus123 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:55 am

donkey server #1 or 2. since the closure of razorback2, i think its regular users spread evenly to those servers.
doofus123
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:46 am

Postby ROODOG » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:26 am

I started using kad after razorback was shut.I never tried kad before as i was using emule plus for the tweaked interface.I now use the official emule with kad and i am impressed as kad gives me everything i need with many sources. I really don't need the servers now but i do have a look on global search now and then. If you have never used kad before it may not connect so here is the tip. Join any server and grab any file with many sources and start a download.Now when you connect to kad just make sure the from known clients box is ticked and all the people you are downloading from on the servers become known clients.Next time you connect to kad it will start up straight away. Hope that helps the confused and try kad as you don't know what your missing!
Wanti Wanti Can't Getti
Getti Getti No Wanti
ROODOG
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:01 am

Postby nikt » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:39 am

ROODOG wrote:

If you have never used kad before it may not connect so here is the tip. Join any server and grab any file with many sources and start a download.Now when you connect to kad just make sure the from known clients box is ticked and all the people you are downloading from on the servers become known clients


Thats called bootstraping :)

The most common reason for problems with connecting with Kad network is lack of open / forwarded UDP port in your router / firewall , this issue may be solved either by forwarding on router/ opening port in firewall manually , or by contacting network administrator if he`s only person with access.

In some cases you will be capable of connecting even without open UDP port , then you will have "firewalled" status wchich is similiar to lowid state on ed2k network. Fortunately there is a "buddy" feature which allows another client connected to kad to forward your connections , he just needs to be connected and have "open" status - however it is not as efficient as with having open port yourself and it does not always work.

You will find some guides on routers / firewalls here

Next time you connect to kad it will start up straight away.


Yep , thats because once you have connected the IP`s of about 200 another clients are recorded in file called "nodes.dat" , so if you lack contacs you can just download it from here and try putting it in your emule/config folder before starting kad connection

Good luck with kad , I can only recomend it - the only disadvantage I know about is poor file annoucing on the network (at least in search results) but it shouldn`t cause any problems
Last edited by nikt on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
nikt
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:00 pm

Postby jim241 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:51 am

nikt wrote:I use none :P Kad gives me more than enough sources

But if I had to I would do like HouseCrawd wrote :

DonkeyServer No's 1-6 mostly


Those aren`t fake
Same as nikt. KAD only.
User avatar
jim241
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:17 pm
Location: UK

Postby ROODOG » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:58 am

Thanks nikt for your suggestions but the only reason my mule would not connect to kad on my first try was nothing to do with my udp port or firewalls on my router but because my mule was a new install so there were no clients to connect to.Didn't realize you could dl a dat file in advance so thanks for the info.I will keep that in mind and we learn as we go so thanks :wink:
Wanti Wanti Can't Getti
Getti Getti No Wanti
ROODOG
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:01 am

Postby jim241 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:41 pm

If you have no KAD IP's to bootstrap to, is it possible to connect to the chat and use that to find a IP to bootstrap? My guess, yes, but never tried it though.
User avatar
jim241
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:17 pm
Location: UK

Postby nikt » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:55 pm

jim241 wrote :

If you have no KAD IP's to bootstrap to, is it possible to connect to the chat and use that to find a IP to bootstrap? My guess, yes, but never tried it though.


Technically yes , if have IP of any user connected to Kad , it will work if entered manually , but actually like ROODOG mentioned earlier you just need to connect to some clients and because bootstrap is executed automatically you will get many many IP`s.

Of course you need to connect to a server for a few secs to do so , otherwise you can download nodes.dat and have the same effect.

Besides , who will give you your IP ?

In nodes.dat IP`s are encrypted so it`s safe to use

And last thing : when you get eventually someones IP it can be on list in your ipfilter.dat (or vice versa) :twisted:
User avatar
nikt
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:00 pm

Postby Ratt » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:08 pm

nikt wrote:Fortunately there is a "buddy" feature which allows another client connected to kad to forward your connections , he just needs to be connected and have "open" status - however it is not as efficient as with having open port yourself and it does not always work.


I seem to have a Buddy all the time. I'm such a humanitarian. :lol:

Gimme your poor, your huddled masses...your firewalled Kad users...
User avatar
Ratt
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:50 pm

Postby Iron » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:34 pm

nikt wrote:In nodes.dat IP`s are encrypted so it`s safe to use

Want to bet? There's nothing wrong with giving out an IP address, a KAD/Overnet client does it all the time.
Iron
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Postby quick » Fri May 19, 2006 1:04 pm

Hi guys!
I was browsing thru this section of forum , and I hear u talking about Kad which I hear quite a bit , hm I was always wonder how Kad works! I my give a try , but I will take this opportunity to ask u first , from sound of this u know quite a bit.
I use donkey, I found really great when comes to finding files im looking for , and thru server there is plenty sources so the speed of d/l its great, but for the past wile , well from the time when the meta machine has been closed and there is no really upgrade donkey works on and off when comes to functionalit. Now is Kad something like Overnet built in edonkey? Or it’s totally different.
If u could give me some idea what I can expect from kad it would be great.
quick
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:39 am

Postby P2P_G » Fri May 19, 2006 1:19 pm

quick wrote:Hi guys!
I was browsing thru this section of forum , and I hear u talking about Kad which I hear quite a bit , hm I was always wonder how Kad works! I my give a try , but I will take this opportunity to ask u first , from sound of this u know quite a bit.
I use donkey, I found really great when comes to finding files im looking for , and thru server there is plenty sources so the speed of d/l its great, but for the past wile , well from the time when the meta machine has been closed and there is no really upgrade donkey works on and off when comes to functionalit. Now is Kad something like Overnet built in edonkey? Or it’s totally different.
If u could give me some idea what I can expect from kad it would be great.


Your downloads will have atleast dubble of searches and the speed will be a lot faster to!
Piracy Will Never Die.
User avatar
P2P_G
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:27 pm

Postby quick » Fri May 19, 2006 1:37 pm

And how about security?
quick
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:39 am

Postby Andu » Fri May 19, 2006 4:37 pm

P2P_G wrote:
quick wrote:Hi guys!
I was browsing thru this section of forum , and I hear u talking about Kad which I hear quite a bit , hm I was always wonder how Kad works! I my give a try , but I will take this opportunity to ask u first , from sound of this u know quite a bit.
I use donkey, I found really great when comes to finding files im looking for , and thru server there is plenty sources so the speed of d/l its great, but for the past wile , well from the time when the meta machine has been closed and there is no really upgrade donkey works on and off when comes to functionalit. Now is Kad something like Overnet built in edonkey? Or it’s totally different.
If u could give me some idea what I can expect from kad it would be great.


Your downloads will have atleast dubble of searches and the speed will be a lot faster to!


That's a stupid statement. It will probably just make a difference for rare files because you find more or any sources. Otherwise it will not make any definite difference in regards to speed. You will likely find more search hits for any given search because of the way Kad works.

Well yes theoretically Kad and Overnet should work the same way since both are based on the Kademlia papers. The implementations differ so they aren't exactly the same. Also Horde is bound to Overnet in edonkey which is another thing that's different.

Security depends on what you expect. Both are basically the same in that regard. If anybody wants to get you they will.
User avatar
Andu
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:12 pm

Postby P2P_G » Fri May 19, 2006 5:00 pm

Andu wrote:
P2P_G wrote:
quick wrote:Hi guys!
I was browsing thru this section of forum , and I hear u talking about Kad which I hear quite a bit , hm I was always wonder how Kad works! I my give a try , but I will take this opportunity to ask u first , from sound of this u know quite a bit.
I use donkey, I found really great when comes to finding files im looking for , and thru server there is plenty sources so the speed of d/l its great, but for the past wile , well from the time when the meta machine has been closed and there is no really upgrade donkey works on and off when comes to functionalit. Now is Kad something like Overnet built in edonkey? Or it’s totally different.
If u could give me some idea what I can expect from kad it would be great.


Your downloads will have atleast dubble of searches and the speed will be a lot faster to!


That's a stupid statement. It will probably just make a difference for rare files because you find more or any sources. Otherwise it will not make any definite difference in regards to speed. You will likely find more search hits for any given search because of the way Kad works.

Well yes theoretically Kad and Overnet should work the same way since both are based on the Kademlia papers. The implementations differ so they aren't exactly the same. Also Horde is bound to Overnet in edonkey which is another thing that's different.

Security depends on what you expect. Both are basically the same in that regard. If anybody wants to get you they will.


Ohhh! okey if you want that i write it so nice!

If you have KAD on in eMule then you can download from people that are connected to KAD because everyone isn't connected to eD2K servers and many people are connected to fake servers, you will get faster download speeds because you will probobly get more searches: faster speeds! And if you want good speeds, you need to run eMule a lot and share much files in fast speed(if you can). Sometimes i have my mule on 24h/day and i allways get my rare stuff(like russian old movies and CD's) KAD has about 1 million users online at any time given.

/¤G¤
Piracy Will Never Die.
User avatar
P2P_G
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:27 pm

Postby Andu » Fri May 19, 2006 5:26 pm

Well thank you for enlightening me about a feature that I've followed from the very first time of discussion on the eMule forum. Can you say the same?

In most cases it will make no difference. You can find Kad only sources through source exchange. There is no necessity to be connected to Kad. Fake servers are another issue but since they don't show real stats it's impossible to say how many sources are fooled by them. Only files with very very few sources can be impossible to obtain under certain circumstances if you aren't connected to Kad.

Since I don't know what you mean by "more searches" I cannot really comment on that. If you mean more sources then I've already said it doesn't make much of a difference because of source exchange.

Regarding staying online as long as possible that's always been something you have to do on ed2k. And since he is using edonkey at the time he knows about that hopefully.
User avatar
Andu
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:12 pm


Return to eDonkey2000 / Overnet

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
© 2001-2008 Slyck.com