Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Wireless Router Not Able To Handle eMule?

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Wireless Router Not Able To Handle eMule?

Postby IceCube » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:41 am

Well, I did some research as I had just got myself a new wireless router. I found myself at a LowID a lot so I did a little research. I thought it was a simple case of forwarding a port (specifically just flipping a switch) but I couldn't find anything specific at first.

Then I dug around and found a port forwarding page on the manufacturing website and couldn't seem to figure it out, but then it hit me to google the model and eMule. To my surprise, I found generally this answer:

If you're a heavy user of file sharing apps like bittorrent or emule clients, then you're in for a BIG disappointment. While using these apps, the router will crash/lock-up or drop your connection after a few hours and sometimes even just after a few minutes. Apparently, if the number of TCP connections exceed the router's threshold (I wonder what that is but it's obviously low) it will get overwhelmed and eventually faint. You're only work around would be to adjust your file sharing client's connection settings so low so as not to choke the router OR to wait for a firmware upgrade that will address this issue. These file sharing apps are probably the most effective real-world way of testing the stability of a router. I should've done more research before I bought the router. Do a little google'ing about "WiFi routers crashing with Bittorrent" to find out more.

Couldn't find much with that suggestion. The eMule home page only deals with one model brand of Linksys and unfortunately, mine seems to be the WRT54GC model and not the one specified. I get the feeling at this point it might be a little more tricky then simply switching a port to get the router to work. In some respect, I seem to have gotten really unlucky with this, but then again, this thing has been simply one hassle after another. >,<

If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it!

Edit: I'm able to simply bi-pass the router and connect straight into my machine and have no problem, but I lose the WiFi in the process :(
IceCube

Postby carcassfan » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:25 am

did you check out this?:
http://www.portforward.com/english/rout ... Donkey.htm

also, did you set a permanent static local ip?

nice new ava btw :wink:
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders."

-Ted Nugent

God Bless America!
Tekk wrote:most of the things being pirated are obscure mexican bands
carcassfan

Postby LANjackal » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:22 am

Some routers are really poor at handling P2P, because of the number of connections involved and the rate at which they must be handled. Back when I was a heavy Shareaza user, I'd come home many times to find my Microsoft MN-100 (laugh all you want, I bought it just so I could use Xbox LIVE without any headaches - which it worked perfectly for) frozen up.

If you have no further luck after configuring port forwarding for the device, here are my suggestions:

OPTION 1 ($0)

Replace the WRT54G's firmware with an open source version. A while back some smart cookie discovered Linksys was using GPL code in the product's firmware, thus forcing them to release it - thus enabling serious hacking - to the public for free.

Thus alternative firmware's that seriously increase the router's performance exist. Some can be found here:

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9515501295.html

I'm guessing the extra "C" at the end of your model number simply means the product was made for the Canadian market - it's probably identical to the US one. In that case, the above should work.

OPTION 2 - ($128 USD)

At least one other company has a solution just for you: D-Link. They built their DGL-4300, found here:

http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=370

to handle such situations. I've read several reviews of it performing admirably under severe load (FTP + P2P + gaming). It's also got UPnP support, which can obviate port forwarding for some programs. If you don't believe my word, believe the 20+ Editor's Choice awards it's won. The only downside is the price: $128.

OPTION 3 ($unknown)

If you'd rather not go that route, get an enterprise-class product. Note that the firmware hacks from Option 1 should turn your router into something akin to this - albeit you're on your own with the tech support. I don't have much experience with those, however, so there's no further advice in that direction.

Also, contact Linksys about the problem - they're known for generally good customer service, though in my experience their products are so easy to use it's usually unnecessary.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby IceCube » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:30 am

Carcassfans thing work. With eMule, I just named the app 'emule', 'emule1', and 'emule2' so it can use eMule. After some fiddling with the help of my bro, I got highID's again! :D

Thanks!

I'll be giving it long haul testing by leaving it on all day tommorrow and hope it doesn't just break down under the strain of connections. If it does, I may have a problem, but atm, it's going nice. :)

Edit: Thanks LANJackel, if something goes wrong in leaving it on all day tommorrow, I'll take a look at that link in option 1 and see how that can help. :)

Edit: I'm also guessing that now that I set it to a static IP address, if I choose to use BitTorrent, I'll just have to dig into which app I'm using and insert some more entries into the allowed apps section of the router menu. In the mean time, I'll see how the thing stands up to all the connections on eMule (as I can get quite a number with 'the broken 3' and 'Star Wreck')

Edit: If what I did sufficiently solves the problems, I'll make another post re-iterating in convenient steps how I did it so as to help those with similar problems in the future. :)
IceCube

Postby in_hiding » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:35 pm

I was on the verge of buying the non-compact version of that router, so I'm very glad I saw this thread. Look forward to your progress report.

altho now I remember some of the user reviews of the WRT54g at Amazon say the latest version (5) changed internal OS and is now very unreliable. (Dunno if this affects the compact version.) Maybe I should go with the D-Link mentioned.
in_hiding

Return to eMule / kad