Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

The Graveyard

Discuss any general File-Sharing Topic or Issue

Please use the relevant forum below for non file-sharing issues or questions about a specific program or network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby elitie » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:52 am

add bytemonsoon.com to the list!
elitie

Postby Allied » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:21 am

I can't find enough info on bytemonsoon.

All I've learned is that it was a torrent site. Bytemonsoon.com dies in July 2004 due to ddos attacks(why?) and lack of time on the admins part. Tho, somehow later that month they came back with bytemonsoon.net. It was around for a year, then closed without explanation. TyranT announced that the url was for sale and now its a scam site.

I need the month it first went up, a better understanding of its death, wether it was an open site or a closed one and a banner wouldn't hurt.
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby Assyrian » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:33 am

dunno if this helps ..

away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby Allied » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:45 am

I found that banner with Google images too. That V is the vbulletin the logo.
It's not a real bytemonsoon logo.
Last edited by Allied on Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allied's Review:
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby no_dammagE » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:01 pm

V stands for vBB Board software
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
no_dammagE

Postby LxBeast » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:10 pm

Checking out the waybackmachine <where the symbol <Image> exists on the ".net" version.>, combined with what no_dammagE said.

Bytemonsoon -> Powered by vBB -> The logo could be genuine. <Waybackmachine doesn't have it, annoyingly.>
LxBeast

Postby Allied » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:57 pm

I removed Torrentz.com
Origionally I had Torrentz.com Died January 2005 due to MPAA terrorism. Survived by Defiant.ws.
But Defiant.ws has been renamed to torrentz.com.

I added FileNexus. The pic of it sucks, a jpeg at what I guess is 80%. If anyone has a better quality one I'd gladly put it up.
The cause of death for FileNexus is unclear to me. I know their provider was pressured. If anyone has a name like MPAA, please tell me. I want to point the finger at the right persons.

Added The-RealWorld

Added WinMX

Added eDonkey2000. I put survived by eMule cause I imagine and hope that the eDonkey2000 users will switch to eMule. I also mentioned the planned pay service MetaMachine said they were working with the RIAA on. I'm not sure if there's going to be an article on the death of eDonkey2000. I'll wait a few days. If there's nothing, I'll post a link to the article about eDonkey giving in the the RIAA.

Added a few screenshots and links to old version.com

Added icons for all the programs on the list.
Allied's Review:
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Postby Chewyfood » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:38 pm

CuteMX was the best...

Everything I downloaded on CuteMX would download at 600KBps. And I mean EVERYTHING.
Chewyfood

Postby Allied » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:53 pm

Updated TRW's entry. Now they're survived by EpisodeWorld, not TRW forums.

Removed Suprnova. Not that I'm jumping on the anti-suprnova band wagon. Hanging around Suprnova's new forums has given me the impression that saying they were taken down by MPAA pressure isn't 100% true. And that the true reason cannot be said for legal reasons.
Plus there's those that put Suprnova in the same group as Sharman and StreamCast.

I'd be happy to put Suprnova back. As soon as someone says something nice about them. Something like "Suprnova doesn't use the letter "E" in their name" will do. :D
Allied's Review:
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Postby Assyrian » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:59 pm

good to see your still updating the list allied, well done.
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby Allied » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:44 pm

I was talking to a friend(in person) a few weeks ago. He tried to talk me into making a whole site dedicated to filesharing sites that have been killed. He just wants another site to put ads by google in.

But I declined. If it wasn't for the sticky here on Slyck, I wouldn't have half as many sites and programs. Its a team effort.
And when I stop updating it, every mod will still have the power to take over it.
Allied's Review:
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Postby Assyrian » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:58 pm

kinda reminds me of http://www.afternapster.com
away.
Assyrian
The King

Re: The Graveyard

Postby Mrs. 2p » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:54 am

Allied wrote:Name: ShareTV
Born: April 2003(as BuckTV)
Died: December 2004
Description: ED2K TV link exchange site.
Cause of Death:MPAA terrorism. Article

Survived by:Share TV Forums (no longer providing hash links, it became a forum to discuss and inform on TV shows on the very day they took down their database -which can be found via the ed2k network, by the way)
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby Allied » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:01 pm

Updated ShareTV.
Would it be against the forum rules to post an ED2K link to that database?

Survived By: ED2K://... ShareTV Database available on ED2K network.
Allied's Review:
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Postby Mrs. 2p » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:31 am

yes I think it would, I'm afraid...
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby firestorm9377 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:01 am

can you add sharingthegroove.org?
firestorm9377

Postby Allied » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:13 pm

Can't find much info on sharingthegroove. Can you give me a cause of death?

Added a screenshot for audio galaxy. Thanks to Therese

Oldversion doesn't seem to excited about hosting dead filesharing apps. So I'll be replacing some OldVersion links with FSP links,
http://www.filesharingdownloads.com
Allied's Review:
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Postby BigIanG » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:29 pm

A small correction on btefnet - the site really started in Summer/Fall 02, along with tvtorrents. I think it was originally #bt on undernet, then moved over to efnet after undernet was DDoS'd. It had a lot of different websites/hosts/logos over the years before it was shut down.

tvtorrents.ws has a similar story. Started Summer/Fall 02 (was definately online in October 2002) originally on efnet. Numerous web addresses including slashze.ro, and even just an ip for a time. Went offline summer 2003 after several DDos attacks, came back a few months later. Had a group split off to start tv-swarm and was eventually closed after a MPAA letter/suit just before btefnet and others. Logo can be found at http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=site%3Atvtorrents.tv&sa=N&tab=wi

How about adding #channel0 on efnet? It was around from early 2002 - Fall 2003 when it went invite-only. Before that it was keyed to supposedly make it private, but the key was freely available. It was killed by it's own success - the queues on the bots got out of hand so TPTB made it invite-only.

For the 02-03 TV season, these 3 sites were the places to get shows online, and there was a fierce competition between them to get the shows out first. #bt and #tvt also contributed a lot to making bittorrent popular and some of the siteops had a hand in developing the bt protocol (especially trackers' ability to handle large number of users) in the early days. I think that they were also the leaders in creating rss feeds for automatic downloads.

From the list, audiogalaxy is the mp3 site I miss the most. That place had the most bootlegs/live versions of anywhere.
BigIanG

Postby Pagan » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:52 pm

The death of Audio Galaxy and Napster were the only ones that had me bummed out. The good thing is that there are a variety of programs now available that have filled the void. The bad thing is that you need to use a variety of programs to fill the void. But free is free and there seems to be no shortage of good clients available for file sharing.
Pagan

Postby SlyckTom » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:52 pm

Let us not forget:

Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby zbeast » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:33 pm

It's not dead it will be back as a highly successful pay service. er...ok it's dead.
zbeast

Postby Allied » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:54 pm

BigIanG wrote:A small correction on btefnet - the site really started in Summer/Fall 02, along with tvtorrents. I think it was originally #bt on undernet, then moved over to efnet after undernet was DDoS'd. It had a lot of different websites/hosts/logos over the years before it was shut down.

tvtorrents.ws has a similar story. Started Summer/Fall 02 (was definately online in October 2002) originally on efnet. Numerous web addresses including slashze.ro, and even just an ip for a time. Went offline summer 2003 after several DDos attacks, came back a few months later. Had a group split off to start tv-swarm and was eventually closed after a MPAA letter/suit just before btefnet and others. Logo can be found at http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=site%3Atvtorrents.tv&sa=N&tab=wi

How about adding #channel0 on efnet? It was around from early 2002 - Fall 2003 when it went invite-only. Before that it was keyed to supposedly make it private, but the key was freely available. It was killed by it's own success - the queues on the bots got out of hand so TPTB made it invite-only.

For the 02-03 TV season, these 3 sites were the places to get shows online, and there was a fierce competition between them to get the shows out first. #bt and #tvt also contributed a lot to making bittorrent popular and some of the siteops had a hand in developing the bt protocol (especially trackers' ability to handle large number of users) in the early days. I think that they were also the leaders in creating rss feeds for automatic downloads.

From the list, audiogalaxy is the mp3 site I miss the most. That place had the most bootlegs/live versions of anywhere.

Never herd of those other sites. I don't follow IRC news. Its hard to make a tombstone for an IRC channel. I was focusing more on the torrent side of the story because its the torrent site that most people will remember in a few years.

Added Grokster.
Allied's Review:
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Postby firestorm9377 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:46 am

Allied wrote:Can't find much info on sharingthegroove. Can you give me a cause of death?

Added a screenshot for audio galaxy. Thanks to Therese

Oldversion doesn't seem to excited about hosting dead filesharing apps. So I'll be replacing some OldVersion links with FSP links,
http://www.filesharingdownloads.com

i think it was a volentary shut down. It was born january 2003 i think. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
firestorm9377

Postby bitz » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:42 pm

Time has come for i2hub to be added to the list, they've been shutdown.
bitz

Postby Allied » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:03 pm

sharingthegroove seems pretty obscure.

i2hub on the other hand was easy to track down. All I need is a cause of death. I'm guessing its the RIAA. I'm sure there will be an article soon enough.

Anyone know where I can download the app itself? I'd like an icon and a screenshot.
Allied's Review:
Allied
Mostly Harmless

PreviousNext

Return to General File-Sharing Discussion