Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

About WinMX 4.0

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby OddballLN » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:12 pm

Just to try and keep this thread on WinMX. Some things I would love to see changed:
1. The problem of constant server surfing by the client.
2. Better refresh of shared folders and the ability to mark files not to be shared.
3. Better use of system resources.
4. Finally solve the memory hole problem for those not running p4 2.8 gig with 2 gig of ram. (the current version likes to freeze up like Lot’s wife)
5. The ability to find the best connection (bandwidth wise)
Just a few thoughts from someone that has been using winMX for 3 years now. It does beat Morpheus and Napster (I used both before WinMX) but I still like IRC (at times) and BT
Laterness
So Who REALLY Won the Cold War?
OddballLN

Postby kevogod » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:57 pm

This just in, WinMX 4.0 development has been canceled.

(I'm kidding.)
kevogod

Postby notbob » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:17 pm

kevogod wrote:This just in, WinMX 4.0 development has been canceled.

(I'm kidding.)

yeah

the joke is that that news isn't "just in", it's been obvious for years
i eat regularly
notbob

Re: About WinMX 4.0

Postby tomy » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:19 pm

SlyckTom wrote:Anyone who writes anything to the effect that WinMX 4.0 development has been canceled will be banned from the site, and their post eliminated....

:shock:
tomy

Postby Psycho Ced » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:04 pm

tomy wrote:
SlyckTom wrote:Anyone who writes anything to the effect that WinMX 4.0 development has been canceled will be banned from the site, and their post eliminated....

:shock:

LMFAO!

Fortunately for Kevogod, that is not part of Slyck's Official rules anymore! :?: :?: :?:
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby LxBeast » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:07 pm

LMAO :lol:

I'm surprised this thread has been revived :shock:
LxBeast

Postby Psycho Ced » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:19 pm

Honestly, I forgot all about WinMX! :shock:
j/k :lol:
I can see LxB finding too much information to prove otherwise! :P
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby countrypirate » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:31 pm

WIN MX is that a cross between WIN Me and WIN XP :? :D
countrypirate

Postby tm, » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:02 pm

kevogod wrote:This just in, WinMX 4.0 development has been canceled.

AFAIK - the rule has not yet been rescinded, at least not officially. :D
I wonder if the rule was enforced much? I know of only one instance when it was. ( http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4666 )

Anyway, the big problem now is the question of whether WinMX 3.x has been "cancelled" - since the network has been under crippling DoS attack for months (just try searching for a common word) yet there has not been an update to patch that hole.
tm,

Postby raar » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:50 pm

I was just wondering about these DOS attacks. Are they common? I've never experienced one. In fact I haven't had any problems with the app at all.

Is this problem more prone to those using the chats?
raar

Postby Bizzare » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:43 pm

I bet winmx starts becoming a bigger player again now that people are getting jittery about torrent.. I still use it for chat and the number of rooms has skyrocketed from 1000 or so to 2500+ at times since i started using it..

But I wouldn't use it for files till they at least fix the damn 004 errors, which i dont see happening any time soon.. the last beta test was what? August? heh..

And I dunno about the attacks, I do fine on primary in chats.. but then again I don't share those juicy new releases that gets the **AA's panties all in a bunch :P
One Armed Against Nine Killers
Bizzare

Postby slinkyspirit » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:59 pm

hahahaaha, didnt notice pages 1 to 9 at bottom, was reading 1st page thinking it was new, like 2 years old, with some kazzaa fanboy... hahahaa, didnt know the RIAA even existed then.... :shock:
slinkyspirit

Postby raar » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:42 am

raar wrote:I was just wondering about these DOS attacks. Are they common? I've never experienced one. In fact I haven't had any problems with the app at all.

Is this problem more prone to those using the chats?

I had to quote myself, only because I have now experienced, this evening, some wierd freezing up. It happens once I hit to "search". It will freeze up at say, 231 sources, and when it unfreezes, there are like 6,000 sources. The whole time my downloads continue, but nothing i push will respond. Would this be related to anything you guys have spoke of???
Pretty freaky. I just remember, I think it was on Vladd's site, that we should not allow the search to go past 1,000 sources. Seems that something is fishy with the searching function.
raar

Postby tm, » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:54 am

once I hit to "search". It will freeze up at say, 231 sources, and when it unfreezes, there are like 6,000 sources. ... Would this be related to anything you guys have spoke of???

Yes. The 'Network Search' function will get hit with a torrent of fake results anytime a common word is searched for. This continuous DoS attack has virtually crippled the WinMX network for the casual user. It's previously been reported on this forum and also http://www.vladd44.com has a thread on the subject:

Sticky: Help for Mx Users - Getting Around the Fake File Flooding
tm,

Postby Widdle » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:36 am

This continuous DoS attack has virtually crippled the WinMX network for the casual user.

Not so, says I!!!

If it is non-fake popular files you seek, then go to http://www.P2P-Revolution.com you must.

Seriously though, it's pretty sweet. :twisted:
Widdle

WinMx ?

Postby currysteph » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:26 am

OK well I use WinMX 3.54Beta and it works fine...yes there are queues to alot of things but alot of time i get around that by select a but load and seeing which one start downloading first.

I usually get on once a week to download newer songs that I cant find elsewhere. i have close to 7000 .mp3's that I share ranging from the 1950's to this weeks chart toppers (all in the rock, pop, hip hop, world genres)

I will agree whoever manages WinMX are taking the sweet time coming out with WinMX 4.0 but I continue to use it and share on it...

My screen name is WhoMe443 so if you see me online let me know and Ill try hooking you up.

steph
currysteph

Postby Bizzare » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:40 am

WinMX

RIP

Wed. Sept 21 2005

"As napster before you, ashes to ashes, hash to hash."
One Armed Against Nine Killers
Bizzare

im sooooo confused

Postby SeXy_SuThErn_CoMfOrT » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:57 am

:? ok im real confused. i d/l the host file and now i dont know what to do. call me stupid or whatever but i really am confused about all this. i loved winmx was there everyday for years i would like to get back but i dont know what to do next computer illiterate i guess could someone plzzzz help a poor pitiful lil 'ol me thanks :wink:
SeXy_SuThErn_CoMfOrT

Resurrecting WinMx

Postby rayuncle » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:29 am

Thanks to all.
I followed the instructions to Vladd44 site and my WinMx appears to be online again.
However, it seems that there are not many users online.
rayuncle

Postby ah.hoffman » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:37 am

I'm hanging it up. If I cannot use WinMx, then I don't want to share or download either. I hope all you p0rn freaks are happy. I never even shared new music very much.
////
ah.hoffman

Why you should hang in there.

Postby NRT » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:36 pm

I was led to believe that WinMX was a miracle of software writing that divided all work among members without any centralization that could be attacked. While that has been proved false by the core server members fleeing after being found out and threatened by the Recording Industry, a hardcore cadre of volunteers are stepping up to replace them. They will require weeks of cooperative effort and tweaking to bring MX back up to the level of efficiency the previous group had attained. I've read that new strategies are being implemented to aggressively thwart any further threats, the strongest being an off-shore entity totally out of the legal reach of the industry's bloodsuckers.

While I can't vouch for that or the eventual reemergance of WinMX I do know that the new version requires all of us to hang in there and abide the inevitably hinky service problems until all the new service providers are operating on the same (newly hardened and protected) standards. WinMX was always about rewarding the patient and persistant users. This temporary (though inevitable) setback should be viewed in the same light, hard though that is for so many used to instant gratification. 8)
NRT

WinMX - Overall Status & Development ???

Postby Borg <HK> » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:18 am

Well, having been a loyal and SATISFIED user of WinMX for some time now, I've got no complaints, NO complaints whatsoever. In my most humble and also in my most professional opinion.

I do however have but ONE complaint...

I am SO sick and tired of hearing about all of these whiney, pinhead, anally retentive BEAN COUNTERS, who can't sleep at night unless they're milking every damned cent out of everyone that they possibly can, whenever they can, however they can...

Isn't it enough that anyone who has music posted or shared via WinMX or any other P2P service, free or not, are already damned ZILLIONAIRES !!! Leave us common folk the hell alone already !!!

I say %^&('em !!!

MOST Sincerely,

Borg <HK>
Borg <HK>

Postby winmxlover2002 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:44 pm

:cry: its so hard without winmx...
a chinese girl... send me winmx 2002 in nov..
it was the best gift ever in my life..
have been talking to all the world in the nights..
in the days.. sharing giving crying...
my days and nights was a happy life with all the world...
the.. bad. sad.. mad.. ugly..
....badmakers why not send them forever out in space
PLEASE WINMX COME BACK MY LIFE IS EMTY WITHOUT YOU!!!!!!!!!
calle very poor but happy if winmx come back.
sweden kl 22:44
27 sep
winmxlover2002

Postby ah.hoffman » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:07 am

I haven't given up on 4.0. Maybe it won't be anarchy.
It's a priviledge to have something as cool and fun
as Winmx. I'm a person, and not a company using Winmx
to steal and then sell media. And if you think that
piracy is perfectly alright, then you just deserve to
eat, sleep, shop and work. And use the WWW. Because
that's all anyone gets to do at this time, unless you want to chance Gnutella or ride the Donkey.//////////
'Walk this way'(YF)
ah.hoffman

Postby ah.hoffman » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:24 am

?To clarify that, I don't think it's stealing unless
you sell the media. :)
ah.hoffman

PreviousNext

Return to WinMX