Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Programming

A place for developers and programmers of file-sharing software to discuss issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Programming

Postby AnTiDeatH » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:36 am

I have to take turing at school and i was wondering if any of you have any good tutorials, so i can get more advacned in it and have an easy 100%. Also im thinkign about also learning c++ or perl, any recommended sites for beginners?
AnTiDeatH

Postby DaBlade » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:55 am

wikibooks.org.
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby no_dammagE » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:24 am

do you mean by turing the turing machine - how it works and the logic behind it? In such a case you should throw a view onto BrainFuck - a turing-compliant programming language which will show you the theory behind it. There are lots of tutorials and examples around BrainFuck and FuckFuck.
If you really want to understand how turing machine works, you can't get around such languages as BF, FF or MM (MooMoo). Turing/cellar robot thinking will help you to imagine how to save data in the memory of your computer and will show you several useful algorithms.

About languages: for perl check the ASPN - aspn.activestate.com : it is comparable with the MSDN you will find useful for WinC++ programming.

As for C++: the best thing you can do is to go to your local library and get an ANSI-C or ISO-C++ book. Not Microsoft Visual C++, Linux C or C++ programming and so on. Take this advice: C and C++ are fully different languages with the same syntax!

Why ISO-C++? With ISO-C++ you won't learn how to write click'n'play applications, but how to write standard-compliant portable C++ applications which will work on any compiler. With such a book you will learn everything you'll need for proper and secure programming - pointers, dynamic memory allocation, Input and Output, dynamic structures, objected oriented programming and a lot of other useful things. Most specific C++ books bound to a plattform make a too short introduction into the fundamentals just to get fast access to buttons and so on. Don't make that mistake: if you won't learn how to work with the memory properly, the only output your application will show is 'Segmentation fault'
Once you feel that C++ is good for you, get a good book at ebay. Often discount shops there sell these books for somewhere 20 bucks just because there is a "mistake" (that means that a new revision of the book is out and they need to get rid of the old one).

Same for perl regarding the books. O'Reilly was and is the biggest supporter of Perl. You'll find books regarding pretty everything for perl. Go to the library and get a book describing fundamentals. Online there are lots of great perl tutorials and with ASPN you'll have a great code base.

As for both langugages: if you don't know how something works and you would have a "sneak peek", learn how to use koders.com

If you can't get used to Perl's syntax: check Ruby and Python; if you can't get used to C++'s syntax: check Ada and FreePascal. In every group the alternatives are as powerful as your two examples, but provide less hassle.

Good luck !

PS: Regarding IDEs: I don't know about perl, I never did with it more than hello world in vim. For C++ there are great free IDEs: Dev-C++ for Windows, Anjuta and KDevelop (which IIRC supports Perl, too) for Linux. For python you might want to check SPE (Stani's Python Editor), for Ruby there is SCIte/FreeRide (which are IIRC for perl, too)
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
no_dammagE

Postby HouseCrowd » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:14 pm

A couple of very good sites I used to use:

http://www.programmersheaven.com

http://www.developerfusion.co.uk
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby lordfoul » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:16 pm

E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Return to Developers Forum