Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

SuprNova - Back with a bang?

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby NoOneButMe » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:31 pm

rocketman05 wrote:NoOneButMe: Well, you managed to get your second post in but you haven't done yourself many favours :lol:

Not exatcly looking for favors, thanks for offering though :)
EG You said: Since when does having a low post count mean im stupid?

I didn't, please use accuracy when quoting me. I simply said - with admirable restraint I hasten to add - that I merely thought you were being a little presumptious.

Still fail to see why a low post count means i get treated differently then if i had a high post count.
rocketman05 wrote:
13 lines isnt a story, and shouldnt be considered an article
I'm very glad you agree with me. I was actually referring to your own 13 line article entitled "Creative Zen Ships With Virus" and posted as news in your "Hot Off The Press" feature. Well, it had your name on it and you did claim to average 30 - 45 minutes an article.

Hm.. yeah, 13 lines,I would have made it longer, but i didnt feel the need to go rambling on about allt he different virus and spyware definitions, the recent attacks, different ways of defense, and how i feel about it. If you remove all that, and just have the core info in the articles, the core details that relate to the story, then they are similar in length.

rocketman05 wrote:Incidentally, it was the posts following this very same "article" that provoked me into saying that it looked more like a kiddies' colouring book (comic) than a serious news site. And I stand by what I said.

Hm.. i still dont see how that article is a comic book. it doesnt have pictures in it. To me, some of the articles on Slyck, seem comedic, with all the questions asked, and with all the rambling to keep it longer. Size doesnt make quality news. Neither does manipulation to get everyone to see things your way.

I don't feel hatred of the site, just sadness that an opportunity has been wasted. But I am entitled to my opinion as you are to yours, and readership tells the full story.

What oppertunity was wasted? You say readership tells the full story? Slyck is dedicated to news, while the Hot off the Press section is more of a hobby of mine. Of course your going to have more readers. Im not debating who has more readers. What im saying is that Length, and popularity doesnt make something good.
NoOneButMe

Postby Nick » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:35 pm

If having the final word is so important to you, then have it. But please don't have the temerity to be critical of others - especially when you can't accept criticism yourself.

disengaged
Nick

Postby Bizzare » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:39 pm

chasingsol wrote: The underlying reasons behind shutting SuprNova down I cannot be specific about because I am a man of my word, but it was NOT eXeem. All of the people who have bad feelings about what happened over 9 months ago need to take a step back and realise nobody but a few people know the truth behind it's closure. STOP SPECULATING.

1. The man screwed up. Bad decision. Deal with it. This isn't even getting into the allegations of censorship on the supr forums, which yea, we do remember =)

2. Stop speculating? I think what people are saying against the new site here isn't that they don't *think* they can trust him, but that they already don't trust him..

They aren't speculating; their minds are made up.

I'm included in this. No one is impressed that only a few people know what really happened w/supr.. hell.. only a few people probably know what *really* happened with Kennedy, Iraq, or anything else.. but it doesn't matter.. what matters is what people remember, and the lack of "honest info" into the "real suprnova that j00 ppl r 2 n00b 2 no" isn't going to win you friends among a group of people who are notoriously paranoid.

3. Supr was free. Supr had ads. Supr made Andrej whatever the hell his name is an international celebrity if p2p could have such a thing.. And in the end, (or at least up to this point) it seeems to have bit him in the ass.. This is where my first point comes back into play (vicious cycle and all that)

To paraphrase Hunter S. Thompson: He bought the ticket, he took the ride.. no sympathy for the devil.

Suprnova - Back with a Pfffffft

Nice article btw =)
One Armed Against Nine Killers
Bizzare

Postby NoOneButMe » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:59 pm

Wasnt trying to be critical. And, I asked for further explenation of the criticism so i could understand it better. But, like you said the topic's over, so i cant really discuss this anymore. Nice debating with ya i guess.

Though, i wonder how you'd act if someone said your article was crap and was a comic book.
NoOneButMe

Postby webe3 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:52 pm

Well as far as I am concerned, Supernova meant TORRENTS...not P2P News. That is Slycks and others such as (UTC and Zeropiad) domain.

When I first read this, I thought it was talking about it becoming a torrent site (as it was in the past) again, but it is useless to me as a p2p news site.

So needless to say, I won't be going to this site as it offers me nothing I cannot get at slyck and other places.

I don't think there is anything wrong with what they are doing, but I compare this move to the difference between the old Napster and the new one. To me, the old supernova and this new supernova are two completely different ideas, just like the two Napsters.....they are just not the same thing at all!

I don't consider "back with a bang" to turn what once was a respected torrent site into a p2p news site. To me that is going backwards. I realize there may be people here who disagree, but I will stand by what I believe.

The old supernova is gone and I WISH they would call this new thing something else, because it is not supernova at all, just a p2p news site run by the guy that USED to run supernova.
webe3

Postby curzlgt » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:02 pm

Goody....... another polarized debate......:roll:

My 2 Cents....

Although Lx doesn't care too much for my opinions..... I'd just like to say....Great Job! As far as I know, this was his first article on Slyck, and it was a VERY good start! It was well researched, fairly balanced, well writen, and most important....Informitive. Information is power...... 1st you get the power....then you get the money......then you get the women.....

Also, I for one, am happy to see Lx's prodigious proclivity for typing being turned to something productive and useful to all Slyck members..... :wink:

In Fact, with school back in session, and Lx's new role as a Slyck writer.....I think we can officially declare the Summer of Spam over...... :lol:

@Lx: Sorry for the little barb, and really keep em commin, I bet Tom is proud!

As far as 1st time posters......get used to it! Just because someone is a first time poster, even if their opinion is wrong, thier comments are no less relevant than "long time" posters. Freedom of speech and all that....... The harder the content providers squeeze, the more first time posters will show up here, plain and simple. Further, not everyone who shows up here is a previously banned member, or a shill or fanboy, and shouldn't be accused of such. Innocent till proven guilty and all that..... Lastly, Slyck is THE online Fileshareing destination, get used to it....... please welcome new members and guide them in Slyck ediquite till they catch on.....or get banned :wink:

Writing an article, pulling from multiple sources, and editing....... 30-45 minutes? Ha! :lol: This post is gonna take me an hour, and I ain't even quoteing anybody.......if you merely want summerized info, and don't want original journalism go to snarf-it
:twisted:

As far as the new suprnova..... Good for them, good luck! ( they will need it, they have a long way to go before you are even #2). Information is power, no matter where it comes from.... if you don't like ads, don't click on them, [url]greasemonkey[/url] them, of just stay at Slyck!.....

With Tom, Ray, and now Scratch, RMan, Ice, Lx and the rest contributing original, informitive articles, how do any of the other fileshareing sites hope to compete....... Keep up the great work everybody!!!!!!!
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Postby GangBang » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:26 am

why do we need SN back as a p2p info/resource site, when there is already a better one in place (slyck).. not trying to kiss ass here, but seriously??? why waste your time?
GangBang

Postby zim » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:49 am

because he wants money from ads again...

isnt any now that i see... but you can bet there will be.
zim

Postby FelixTheCatt » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:53 am

guide them in Slyck ediquite till they catch on

Guide them? If this is an example of what etiquette by longtime members is supposed to be , count me out. I'll figure it out on my own.

Great article and congrat's on your first LX! :) Keep them coming and I'll keep reading.
SupposedFormerNapsterJunkie
FelixTheCatt

Postby SlyckScratch » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:14 am

NoOneButMe wrote:As i see it .. people at slyck are afraid that the people at suprnova will usurp them and become a better source for news(In my eyes, they already are.)

LMFAO!! That's right - we all had a big meeting and everyone shat their collective pants. After several hours of deliberation, it was decided that LxB would dampen Suprnova's thunder by writing an article dedicated to them. The fear - you can smell it

You see, although a high post count doesn't make anyone's point any more valid, it does help to sweeten the bitter pill. If I turned up at a party and my first words to the crowd were "Hey! You're just frightened that the new party down the road is going to be better than yours - and your party isn't much good either!" - you can imagine how that might go down.
So welcome to the party! Please, make yourself at home (but don't blame us if someone puts something in your drink)

/me pats LxB on the back
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby IceCube » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:17 am

SlyckScratch wrote:
NoOneButMe wrote:As i see it .. people at slyck are afraid that the people at suprnova will usurp them and become a better source for news(In my eyes, they already are.)

LMFAO!! That's right - we all had a big meeting and everyone shat their collective pants. After several hours of deliberation, it was decided that LxB would dampen Suprnova's thunder by writing an article dedicated to them. The fear - you can smell it

You see, although a high post count doesn't make anyone's point any more valid, it does help to sweeten the bitter pill. If I turned up at a party and my first words to the crowd were "Hey! You're just frightened that the new party down the road is going to be better than yours - and your party isn't much good either!" - you can imagine how that might go down.
So welcome to the party! Please, make yourself at home (but don't blame us if someone puts something in your drink)

/me pats LxB on the back
Completely of topic, but I remember Dane Cook once comparing a bad relationship with a girlfriend to a bad party. (Called "Someone Sh*t on the Coats" if you look for it :) [censored word btw])
IceCube

Re: SuprNova - Back with a bang?

Postby schitauri » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:09 am

LxBeast wrote:Once they will submit their news, the news will have to go through moderation
I'd rather stick to a site which is unmoderated
? wrote:I will see it when I believe it
schitauri

Postby NoOneButMe » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:00 am

zim wrote:because he wants money from ads again...

isnt any now that i see... but you can bet there will be.

Hm.. Slyck has google ads as well. Wonder what that means.

SlyckScratch wrote:LMFAO!! That's right - we all had a big meeting and everyone shat their collective pants. After several hours of deliberation, it was decided that LxB would dampen Suprnova's thunder by writing an article dedicated to them. The fear - you can smell it

Thats my opinion. I think its this because from the comments, everyones saying at how they feel the two sites will compete and they wont go to Suprnova.

SlyckScratch wrote:You see, although a high post count doesn't make anyone's point any more valid, it does help to sweeten the bitter pill. If I turned up at a party and my first words to the crowd were "Hey! You're just frightened that the new party down the road is going to be better than yours - and your party isn't much good either!" - you can imagine how that might go down.

True, but my main point was that suprnova is sloncek's to do as he wishes. After that, it spiraled away from the original point I intended on making, especially when it seems like, to me, that rocketman05 was saying i didnt do anything. Following your analogy, how would you like it if you turned up at a party and the first words you heard were "You suck, go away."

And the moderation is for two things. 1. To fix grammar and spelling mistakes. It'd look bad if Slyck had and article saying "Teh un-|337 *AA 8b51n355 5u3d more people today cause idiots." Likewise, it would look bad to see something like that on Suprnova. 2. Keep articles slightly on topic - its a site about p2p news, and should have some relevance to it. Unless it expands to cover general tech news, which i cant see happening just yet - who knows what the future holds - an article about the best antivirus or what was on TV last night has no purpose on the site.
NoOneButMe

Postby SlyckScratch » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:11 am

NoOneButMe wrote:Following your analogy, how would you like it if you turned up at a party and the first words you heard were "You suck, go away."

I'd think "Hell. What did I say?!"

Anyways, me being as guilty as anyone else for wandering in this thread - let's get this back on topic in hand - The return of Suprnova

It'll be interesting to have some kind of Suprnova back on the scene. I'm interested in how things will pan out there - I will be watching their news closely
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby zim » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:33 am

NoOneButMe wrote:Hm.. Slyck has google ads as well. Wonder what that means.

google ads are a LONG way from the scummy pop up spyware and trojan distribution ads that suprnova had. and always claimed it wasnt their fault..

slyck doesnt also beg for hardware and money without ever actually improving things like suprnova did on a regular basis.

Really you seem mighty defensive about this whole situation... Do you work for suprnova? Related to the site in some way? Seems to really bother you that everyone has an opinion that you disagree with. You're the only one getting bent out of shape around here about the subject.
zim

Postby LivingWithTrolls » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:34 am

Been a long time reader of slyck but thought I'd join up to post my comments.

NoOneButMe - save your breath, these forums have been a haven for bad mannered people who bitch about anything they can, frequently flaming people because their views are not the accepted norm.

Personally I don't give a shit what sloncek does, it's his site. He's been demonised by some people for trying to make a decent p2p app (which was crap) and bundling it with spyware (even crapper). You would think he had murdered some people's families the way they carry on lol. I saw a quote on another forum from one of the regulars here that said something along the lines of "I will do everything in my power to make sure that suprnova remains dead like it should be". LMFAO, like anything that he could do is of any consequence.

People also make me laugh about the real reasons that nova closed, if it's so important I'll tell you right now as I'm "one of the small few" that knows what actually happened.

1. In the closures by the MPAA et al the attention was shifted to nova and whether it would remain open.

2. A tipoff was given to the host of nova, he ran their servers, the MPAA and other agencies had been granted access to Godaddy's files and were studying nova and their linked domains, arrests were imminent.

3. The host of the servers advised sloncek that he should close nova and live to fight another day with exeem, either that or face the servers being withdrawn by said host and it closing anyway. The host was not going to allow any linking to his other affairs (several other P2P associations) which would cause more casualties.

4. Sloncek decided to close nova (he didn't have much choice) and focus on exeem.

Them's the facts, make of it what you will. Hardly gripping stuff is it. Whether arrests were made or not I cannot divulge but the closure of nova was not the end of the story if you see what I mean.

Believe it or don't, I care not :).

Whether you like it or not Sloncek was responsible for bringing BT into the spotlight of the P2P world, the exposure would not have happened without suprnova. Was the site crap? It doesn't matter, it was in the right place at the right time is all, could of been any number of sites. Let the guy be and either fade away or make it big, does it really matter which ?

Sleep tight children. :P
LivingWithTrolls

Postby zim » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:50 am

Thats a nice story... you'd have better luck of people buying it without this tho.

the MPAA and other agencies had been granted access to Godaddy's files

a registrar.
:roll:
zim

Postby Nick » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:53 am

Glad you've joined us LivingWithTrolls, and thanks for the heads up on what happened. It's much as I had already heard, and I think you are probably spot on.

Suprnova was indeed there at the right time and offered something that interested many of us.
Nick

Postby Psycho Ced » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:13 am

Excellent Report Lx. Thanks for the heads up. You can't blame someone for trying to make money. I don't hate exeem because of its ads (considering one of my favorite clients is eDonkey) I hated it cause it was a useless scam. The spyware didn't help either, but that was removed. If it at least worked, then the ads would have been excusable. Even the Piratebay has ads.
Last edited by Psycho Ced on Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby coleisgone » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:14 am

I personally wasn't a SN user, i preferred Youceff Torrents who were much more reliable and stable, but at the same time i was aware of SN presence and there is no denying that for a good time it was No1 and for that Sloncek must surely have some respect, whether he sold out in the end or not doesn't make much diffence, but i'm believing the dude that said it was only a matter of time before the proverbial, shite & fan situation, afterall how much longer could SN escape the wrath of the MPAA. If my opinion counts then i think he should probably be praised for having the good sense for shutting up shop when he did, i'm pretty sure most of us would have done similar.

Yep sure eXeem went wrong and sure hindsight is a great thing :D but should that make him P2P Public enemy No1, i don't think so, like slyckscratch says lets just wait and see, I personally won't be using the site but not cause of what it is or who runs it but meerly for the fact that i already have my reliable sources for P2P news - Slyck - Zeropaid - P2P Net and there is only so much spin you can put on the same story
coleisgone

Postby poullos » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:03 am

Thanks for the info LX. Good read.

I liked suprnova back then when suprnova was a site for news conserning new stuff circulating the bittorrent network(aka torrents). Even if I didn't choose to download from suprnova much often, I would go there and find the new releases...more like nforce direct action side.

I was so amazed by the traffic and hits as well as the increase day by day. Sadly, he who owns the side decided to make a rather risky turn to something new:exeem. We all know what a disaster exeem was and IMO one of the main reasons it failed was because the developers didn't make their research correctly about what the users really want. One of these things is privacy and exeem did nothing about it, and in addition it increased the exposure of the users through the implimentation of third party spyware and adware programs. That was the death sentence for suprnova. This new trackerless network promised a lot but the opportunity costs were far more than what it provided.

Now these guys want to return back to p2p world but as a news site. I hope they do well but I don't think there will be much to look for besides here on slyck.

Suprnova was once the top. It's much more difficult to peak again, especially in the way it went down.
¯\(º_o)/¯
poullos

Re: Faliure?

Postby videocheez » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:58 pm

EagleY wrote:slyck.com is enough for me to get the latest on P2P news and has a very nice community thank you very much!

Ditto! Slyck is at the top my daily news browsing.
This is so much fun! :-)
videocheez

Postby NoOneButMe » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:42 pm

zim wrote:
NoOneButMe wrote:google ads are a LONG way from the scummy pop up spyware and trojan distribution ads that suprnova had. and always claimed it wasnt their fault..

True, but the site doesnt have spyware or trojans. And eXeem's ad's never to my knowlege gave me a trojan. Any P2P network can be a way for trojans to be sent. So can email. Why not abandon email on the grounds that on a slim chance someone can send you a trojan?

zim wrote:slyck doesnt also beg for hardware and money without ever actually improving things like suprnova did on a regular basis.

Well.. Just because the changes arent there dont mean they didnt happen. Would you like an informal memo to be sent out? Not many sites do that when they upgrade.

zim wrote:Really you seem mighty defensive about this whole situation... Do you work for suprnova? Related to the site in some way? Seems to really bother you that everyone has an opinion that you disagree with. You're the only one getting bent out of shape around here about the subject.

Me? Nope, dont work for Suprnova at all. However, i have talked to sloncek on irc. I think he's a nice guy. Thats about it. Im the one getting upset, mainly because im the only one with my opinion, the rest of you seem to have the same opinion.

@LivingWithTrolls: Thats the smartest post i've seen here yet.
NoOneButMe

Postby wooder » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:28 pm

curzlgt wrote:As far as 1st time posters......get used to it! Just because someone is a first time poster, even if their opinion is wrong, thier comments are no less relevant than "long time" posters. Freedom of speech and all that.......
Freedom of speech does not give you the right to have that speech permanently posted on a website you don't own, nor to be believed by anyone.
curzlgt wrote:...not everyone who shows up here is a previously banned member, or a shill or fanboy, and shouldn't be accused of such. Innocent till proven guilty and all that.....
Frankly, I hadn't thought of those possibilities. Even so, I think "suspect until proven credible" is more applicable here.

Edit: I haven't looked at the new SuprNova yet, but I think part of what makes Slyck a great site is whatever connections the owners have that enable them to interview key P2P players. That and some of their "hands-on" research.
wooder

Postby curzlgt » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:05 am

wooder wrote:
curzlgt wrote:As far as 1st time posters......get used to it! Just because someone is a first time poster, even if their opinion is wrong, thier comments are no less relevant than "long time" posters. Freedom of speech and all that.......
Freedom of speech does not give you the right to have that speech permanently posted on a website you don't own, nor to be believed by anyone.
curzlgt wrote:...not everyone who shows up here is a previously banned member, or a shill or fanboy, and shouldn't be accused of such. Innocent till proven guilty and all that.....
Frankly, I hadn't thought of those possibilities. Even so, I think "suspect until proven credible" is more applicable here.

Edit: I haven't looked at the new SuprNova yet, but I think part of what makes Slyck a great site is whatever connections the owners have that enable them to interview key P2P players. That and some of their "hands-on" research.

@wooder, I think we have a very different understanding of "Freedom of speech". As long as the "speech" we all post here is within forum rules, it is within our member "rights". If I am wrong, would an Admin, or one of the mods please let me know....... Wether or not that speech is "believed by anyone", doesn't affect ones "right" to say or post it, in IMHO.

I didn't even agree with them.....Its just that I have noticed a tendancy, of late, for many members here to attack and/or accuse new members who post remarks that go aginst prevailing opinons.....While NoOne did go too far.......much less provocative 1st time posters have been met with equal hostility....

There are many reasons that people join Slyck and start posting......

They have a question, though provoking, to stupid....
They seek information.......
They have a contrubition of information, good or bad, news or links.....
They are selling something (thankfully, I truely think the staff is on top of this rule breaking activity).....
They have a strong enough opinion on a topic at hand, one way or the other, to share it with others......
A member recommended Slyck to them.......

You will never win someone over to a more inclusive view through insult, accusation, threat, or suspicition........

I think of Slyck as an inclusive community, apparently you as well as some others others do not...

"Frankly, I hadn't thought of those possibilities. Even so, I think "suspect until proven credible" is more applicable here."

That sounds just like what the **AAs, many justice systems, and the media, are doing to file sharers........Innocent till proven guilty, and benifit of doubt till proven otherwise for me JMO

What brought me to Slyck was the search for information. The same mission lead me to the fourms..... What finally, after almost a year of reading here, led me to posting was when I saw Not_for_sure_but join up and enter the fray in the PI BS thread.....http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13491
[url]

What I was trying to get across is that the file shareing community and the slyck community are growing by the day.......We are need to ask ourselves how we want to react to this inevitability.....in a proactive, welcoming, inclusive manner..... Or a reactive, hostile, dismissive manner......

If you dont want Slyck to become the "cesspool" that Zeropaid and others have become, don't contribute to the downfall. Welcome new members and guide them in community ettiquite till they catch on or get banned....

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14201

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdotted[/url]

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13883

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13941

Look, we need all the support we can get. The more people with information (wether knowledge, or data) the more power we all have........There is power and safty in numbers....

I agree with your thoughs about what makes Slyck great :D But, I think you may fail to take into account the roll that Slyck members and the community play in making it great too......
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

PreviousNext

Return to Slyck News