Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Has the standard of discussion in Slyck gone down?

Post your comments and suggestions here
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Has the standard of discussion in Slyck gone down?

Postby Dormant707 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:18 am

I ask the question: Has the standard of discussion in Slyck gone down? I mean a lot of what I see nowadays is trolling and flaming in threads. People vehemently arguing their point without listening to people. I have been a long time reader of Slyck, but not a big contributor. I feel you should only submit something when you truly have something valid to contribute. I appreciate the fact that the mods are not overbearing here, and beat people with a big stick, but I think that there are far too many personal attacks on people, instead of lively debate. This is, of course just a mere opinion of mine.
Dormant707

Re: Has the standard of discussion in Slyck gone down?

Postby soma » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:26 am

dannybhoi wrote:Has the standard of discussion in Slyck gone down?

only on wednesdays.
soma

Postby poullos » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:52 am

Yes it has and quite a lot imo. One of the most important ways I used to separate slyck from zeropaid was the flame wars. I can see this gap diminishing day by day with all these flame wars. I used to participate a lot in discussions conserning p2p news and software, but whenever I try to browse the posts I end up closing the window quickly.... :?
¯\(º_o)/¯
poullos

Postby Nick » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:27 am

I can only speak for my self on this, but I really feel that the last month or so has seen quite a few positive changes at Slyck.

People have now been banned, threads are starting to be locked or posts deleted altogether if they are gratuitously offensive, and a rigid "no politics or religion" policy has been implemented. However, if the mods police too heavily, then people will just stop posting altogether. It's a fine line to walk.

It's people like you guys make all the difference at Slyck, and if you have any ideas for improvement, dicussion or news then they will be gratefully received.
Nick

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:02 am

dannybhoi wrote:I ask the question: Has the standard of discussion in Slyck gone down? I mean a lot of what I see nowadays is trolling and flaming in threads. People vehemently arguing their point without listening to people. I have been a long time reader of Slyck, but not a big contributor. I feel you should only submit something when you truly have something valid to contribute. I appreciate the fact that the mods are not overbearing here, and beat people with a big stick, but I think that there are far too many personal attacks on people, instead of lively debate. This is, of course just a mere opinion of mine.

We do try to find the right balance, to allow freedom of opinion whilst dealing with those posts which we feel over-step the mark. Those which do are usually removed and/or the poster is warned, and reminded of the forum rules, and anyone repeatedly ignoring the forum rules is banned. However, many of those disobeying the rules are often new members, simply unaware of the rules we have here, so we have to give them a chance. There are posts being deleted/moved, users being warned/banned, but we try to keep it to a minimum, however if you feel we've missed something, by all means PM me and I'll deal with it! :)
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby JunqueMan » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:08 am

dannybhoi wrote:I ask the question: Has the standard of discussion in Slyck gone down?

What standards? :? :wink:

Junque Man
"Pass me another cold Pawtucket Patriot..."
JunqueMan

Postby raar » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:02 am

It all boils down to this. You choose to read whatever you want. I hit the "new posts since your last visit" and pop into whatever thread sparks my interest for that moment. If it sucks I click back. If it all sucks, I would recommend clicking the "red x" in the upper right hand corner.

Other than that, for the most part, I see lots of good discussion here. Lots of people helping other people. And lots of opinions, whether well-received or not, that stand true to that member and that's what it is all about.

Just accept that we all have differing opinions and interests and respect that. If the respect is lost, then being banned or having threads deleted/locked is to be expected.

Live and let live.
raar

Postby Assyrian » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:03 am

HouseCrowd wrote:
dannybhoi wrote:I ask the question: Has the standard of discussion in Slyck gone down? I mean a lot of what I see nowadays is trolling and flaming in threads. People vehemently arguing their point without listening to people. I have been a long time reader of Slyck, but not a big contributor. I feel you should only submit something when you truly have something valid to contribute. I appreciate the fact that the mods are not overbearing here, and beat people with a big stick, but I think that there are far too many personal attacks on people, instead of lively debate. This is, of course just a mere opinion of mine.

We do try to find the right balance, to allow freedom of opinion whilst dealing with those posts which we feel over-step the mark. Those which do are usually removed and/or the poster is warned, and reminded of the forum rules, and anyone repeatedly ignoring the forum rules is banned. However, many of those disobeying the rules are often new members, simply unaware of the rules we have here, so we have to give them a chance. There are posts being deleted/moved, users being warned/banned, but we try to keep it to a minimum, however if you feel we've missed something, by all means PM me and I'll deal with it! :)

the warnings here are nothing but words. how about something new? like freezing the account for a certain amount of time so user cannot reply to threads, but only to PM's? just like those warnings you get on Private torrent sites.

just my 2 cents.
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby DaBlade » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:31 am

I'm sorry to have to agree that it has. I might have contributed to that a bit too. :(
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby IceCube » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:55 am

I do agree that it is something you choose to read. I think the downfall of being appart of the Slyck writing team is that you have less time (especially after school starting) to contribute to laid back discussion over at the Lounge. I admit that I don't have enough time in the day to read every forum ever on Slyck, but I can read General File-Sharing Discussion, Tell Us What You Think, Other Filesharing News, Slyck News and The Lounge (although not all the time for some of those)

One of the things I like to do is contribute to a possitive discussion in the Lounge (and I still sometimes bring up a few good things) but it may have seemed that I contributed less.

Personally though, when I joined the writing group, there is a LOT of positive energy going around and, of course, I am into a lot of it so I can help bring great news to Slyck so, I'm finding myself reading a lot of great discussion so I'm thinkig some of the better things may have moved a little too. :?
IceCube

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:08 am

This is like people who complain about living next to an airport.

"There was never this much traffic 30 years ago!"

The argument is illogical and ridiculous. Trying to compare Slyck from 1-3 years ago against today is much along the same lines. With significantly increased traffic and population you will have an increased fair share of purported "trolls and flaming."

However, I believe this is a very insignificant portion of the greater situation. I feel Slyck continues to improve and its status as an intelligent place for discussion is only increasing.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby poullos » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:49 am

Don't get me wrong Tom. I like slyck. Maybe my absence is due to some other factors too, but for a great part is the increase in users participating in these discussions and maybe(at least, me) I don't feel like I used to do before when we were less and we knew each other more or less.
Slyck is improving, but some things may positively affect the vast majority and the site's purpose, but some of us might not feel so good with it.

To sum up, I like slyck from day 1 and I feel it like a home site. I'm not avoiding discussions but sometimes I get bored with this stuff... :wink:
¯\(º_o)/¯
poullos

Postby Dormant707 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:04 pm

poullos wrote:Don't get me wrong Tom. I like slyck. Maybe my absence is due to some other factors too, but for a great part is the increase in users participating in these discussions and maybe(at least, me) I don't feel like I used to do before when we were less and we knew each other more or less.
Slyck is improving, but some things may positively affect the vast majority and the site's purpose, but some of us might not feel so good with it.

Poullos has summed up my feelings quite well. I enjoy coming here and I enjoy the news, but I still feel that the quality of discussion - the level at which people discuss things has deteriorated. I don't enjoy the attitude that some have taken.

An analogy for me would be the reason why you always have a bouncer at a bar/club - there is always someone is going to spoil the atmosphere by being a schmuck and fighting/groping a woman/making a scene or whatever. You always will have a fool that wants to mess up a place - it is human nature. For me, that is the crux of the matter.

I think that the staff and mods do a fabulous job - I just don't enjoy the threads as much as I used to.
Dormant707

Postby Nick » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:39 pm

Ironic how this discussion about how difficult it is to have a reasonable discussion has actually generated such a lengthy discussion :-)

I'm not denigrating what has been said, far from it, but perhaps if people posted more frequently we would have more to discuss?
Nick

Postby irish » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:54 pm

Slyck is a great site full of news and views, some mundane others quite brilliant. The mods continuously offer great articles for our attention and write their own too. It's up to us, the members of Slyck to post views to those articles. We know how far we can push certain viewpoints and we know that political and religious discussion is not allowed (amen to that :wink: ), but even without those types of discussion the threads created throughout the site are informative, serious, fun and amusing. If you don't post and decide to leave it to other members to do so, you will only ever end up with those members viewpoints. IMHO those views made by posting members are what I come to Slyck for and for that reason long may they continue to post :D
irish

Postby SlyckScratch » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:01 pm

At first I thought it was a fault with my computer, then I realised it was happening on all of my friends computers too. The whole internet has had its quality reduced! Serious. Because people are outside (yes, I know) and on holiday - less seems to get done on the web and somehow we always seem to see the negative things more. Worringly, this seems to happen quite often - once a year come to think of it......
Don't they call the phenomenon 'Summer'? :?
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby IceCube » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:30 pm

Summer!!! WOOHOO!!!

...that vacation ended for me recently :(
IceCube

Postby curzlgt » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:13 pm

I feel most of these changes are a result of the growth and maturing of the file sharing community as a whole. As the content providers squeeze harder and harder.....lawsuits are filed, laws are changed, law enforcemnet raids homes and businesses, Media coverage increases......

Slyck in no longer a mom and pop convience store site, it is a global forum, and a global resource for all matters file-sharing.......expect more refugees to show up at Slyck's borders daily........

There are far more members here, with a far more diverse opinion range, than ever before.

I say welcome it! AND definatly moderate it :D
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Postby WitchHunterRobin » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:49 pm

poullos wrote:Yes it has and quite a lot imo. One of the most important ways I used to separate slyck from zeropaid was the flame wars...

It still has far more judicious and appropriate modding then the dank cyber slum known as Zeropaid. I stopped going there because of the attitudes, but I don't see that with Slyck.

It's still informative with a congenial atmosphere, and the contributions both in the original Slyck writing and the posts from people like HouseCrowd make it a site I still like to visit everyday.
WitchHunterRobin

Postby carcassfan » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:19 pm

no one is forced to use this site. if you dont like it, leave...or make a "better site." thats just MO.
carcassfan

Postby Allied » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:54 pm

When I first got to Slyck, I thought about joining. Then flipping through a few threads, I decided not to.
Lots of words in each post. I didn't know wtf people were talking about. Therefore, I thought the forum was for smart people only.
But I kept reading, and learning.
Now I know that the forum isn't just for smart people cause I can follow every thread to one degree or another.

Slyck just makes a very intimidating first impression.
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby cody » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:37 pm

I have a wonderfull idea. Just charge a fee to post a topic or reply. Monthly subscribstion of course.
cody

Postby Assyrian » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:20 pm

slyck is sexy.
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby CrazyGuy000 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:14 pm

maybe there just isnt as much to discuss anymore? I mean we could have endless debates over which filesharing program is the best, but where is the fun in that? I think there are more posts in the lounge than anywhere else because we dont really have anything to discuss about or p2p progs anymore, with the exception of helping out the new people that come here or that are new to p2p in general. I think FoolTank will become a place for most of the regulars here to hang out and this will just be a place for news articles...
CrazyGuy000

Postby zim » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:58 pm

Its gone way down.. Half the topics anymore are just fanboys and shills arguing with each other about crap nobody else cares about.

Too much tolerance of bullshit that doesnt belong.
zim

Next

Return to Tell us what you think