Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

SoulSeek Interview

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

slsk.org

Postby p2p-dialer.de » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:34 pm

Thank you all for being understanding of Nir and Arbel's need for money by selling out their domain to us for a hefty amount of cash. We are glad to know that they are using it to continue running a great p2p program.

ISAS Internet Services and Solutions
http://www.isa-solutions.de/
p2p-dialer.de

some very astute posts

Postby Clark Gwent » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:59 am

I can't see the deal with this "intellectual property". Our Lord And Redeemer Jesus Christ said nothing about it in the Bible.
Wherefore is it an inexorable moral right?
Does it say "Thou shalt not covet another man's ox, or his ass, or his song?"
NO IT DOESN'T!
It is a device of capitalism is all.
Clark Gwent

Re: some very astute posts

Postby eclectica » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:54 pm

Clark Gwent wrote:I can't see the deal with this "intellectual property". Our Lord And Redeemer Jesus Christ said nothing about it in the Bible.
Wherefore is it an inexorable moral right?

ye speaketh the truth, oh wise one.

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

jesus performed a miracle of abundance when his group of 5000 were hungry. out of five barley loaves and two small fishes, he created enough food to satisfy them all.

a similar miracle has occurred again with p2p filesharing. out of one file, an abundance occurs, and millions of copies are created.
© copylefted
eclectica

Postby JC » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:30 pm

Good interview, but it leaves me a bit worried about his opinion on future development. With so many users the centralized system isn't working very well. There are many connectivity problems with the network.
JC

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:40 pm

all this riaa bullshit doesn't even apply to soulseek

dance music labels (unless you listen to complete shite) are usually small independant labels who may well have copyrighted their material, but won't be members of the RIAA so therefore won't have the RIAA collecting royalties for them.

most of these labels are pressing like 1500 copies of each release and making a paltry $1000 (or a lot of the time losing money) on a record that it cost them $5000 to put out.

why are they bothering? usually because they like the music.

personally I think they should be paid for their efforts, we aren't talking about some fat cat bosses at sony music here or anything, half these labels are 1 man operations being run from peoples houses.

and since the dawn of the p2p era they have been dropping like flies.

so in short, sharing new releases from underground dance labels & artists is nothing short of biting the hand that feeds you, and to be honest I think soulseek should be shut down.

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:42 pm

and dj's who play in clubs with mp3's they have downloaded from the internet should just be dragged out into the street and shot.

soulseek- bottom line

Postby eezeekial » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:44 pm

I have been on slsk for close to 2 years now. And it has surpassed most of the other p2p's in my opinion. You are going to have the elitists wherever you go. But, this p2p focuses on electronic music, most of which doesnt even come from the US. From what I see with my own eyes, it seems that all the live sets and dj's and whatever else are mostly European based and have nada to do with our lobbying agency, the riaa. I would assume that the riaa wouldnt care too much about slsk.
eezeekial

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:40 pm

Anonymous wrote:all this riaa bullshit doesn't even apply to soulseek

dance music labels (unless you listen to complete shite) are usually small independant labels who may well have copyrighted their material, but won't be members of the RIAA so therefore won't have the RIAA collecting royalties for them.

most of these labels are pressing like 1500 copies of each release and making a paltry $1000 (or a lot of the time losing money) on a record that it cost them $5000 to put out.

personally I think they should be paid for their efforts, we aren't talking about some fat cat bosses at sony music here or anything, half these labels are 1 man operations being run from peoples houses.

so in short, sharing new releases from underground dance labels & artists is nothing short of biting the hand that feeds you, and to be honest I think soulseek should be shut down.

None of us wouldn't know shit about these small labels if it weren't for p2ps like soulseek.

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:18 pm

Anonymous wrote:

None of us wouldn't know shit about these small labels if it weren't for p2ps like soulseek.

true. those labels could very well be selling more, because of this form of advertisement. and i believe each label has a hardcore fanbase, so selling those releases won't be a problem.
or am i totally wrong?

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:11 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

true. those labels could very well be selling more, because of this form of advertisement. and i believe each label has a hardcore fanbase, so selling those releases won't be a problem.
or am i totally wrong?

the dance music market is flooded with small indie labels right now which makes it very difficult for any of them to get a decent slice of the market. p2p is just like kicking them while they are down.

it certainly doesn't advertise for them, when was the last time you saw an mp3 with the label name on it?

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:45 pm

great to hear from probably the most innovative web application designer our times have seen. The community aspect IS important. In the long history of file/info sharing, nothing aids distribution more than the desire to communicate with each other. Freedom of information... I could bore you to death.

But hey! Keep it quiet will ya, the dark ones are watching and placing cease and desist's on your ISP as we speak. Look at the flack bittorrent has come under. Slsk doesnt need the attention. How else can it survive but underground...?

USenet, /., soulseek, the well, all community driven craft.

sail safely. watch out for the REAL pirates.

Postby kyote321 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:45 pm

i can undrstand the point that people are making that slsk is killing small electronic labels. i have struggled with this myslef, as i used to buy cds fromt hese labels. it should be noted that it is hard to find a lot of this stuff, unless you live in a major city, and file sharing it is the only way to get, so if you need (and i mean NEED if you dj!) that newest dopetrack released tomorrow, slsk is the only way to get it. i would like to see some way to kick some cash to the artists themselves.
kyote321

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:57 pm

small independant labels (at least electronic ones) tend to make less per release than the artists themselves these days, so that argument isn't really valid at this level.

labels are signing individual releases, rather than exclusive artists, so they have to offer a fair deal or the producers will simply take the tracks to someone who is offering a decent deal.

Re: slsk.org

Postby XCIII » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:41 pm

p2p-dialer.de wrote:Thank you all for being understanding of Nir and Arbel's need for money by selling out their domain to us for a hefty amount of cash. We are glad to know that they are using it to continue running a great p2p program.

ISAS Internet Services and Solutions
http://www.isa-solutions.de/

There's a big difference between being sold a domain and squatting on it. In the future, perhaps learn to differentiate before making claims being used as an act of defamation and as a promotional tool to attempt to generate hits to your Mainpean Dialer. :wink:
XCIII

Postby snooo » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:03 am

Echoing what someone said earlier....

I mostly use Soulseek to hold of obscurish indie music which, in certain parts of the country, is very hard to get hold of. This especially applies to american indie bands whose british distribution sometimes leaves a lot to be desired.

Now i could order the CD overseas, running the risk of buying something I dont particularly like, or I could use SLSK to sample it before I buy.

Slsk has definitly improved and widened my tastes as far as alternative rock goes. I wouldn't have heard the Decemberists, Young People, chk chk chk, Melt Banana or the Blood Brothers at all if it wasnt for them. Now I ought to go and buy their albums :-D

David xx
snooo

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:29 am

when was the last time you saw an mp3 with the label name on it?

that's a bogus question, concidering how smart the users of soulseek are about the music they share and download ... they know what they have
becasue they like it and want to expose others to the music they enjoy>
my point is the users know the artists, the track/album titles, the labels,
and probably the catalog no., and if they dont it isnt hard at all to IM someone via a chatroom to find this stuff out

soulseek is an amazing resource for those of us with our ears turned to the ground who love obscure electronic/indie music+++ it has remained a
simple and reliable means of staying in touch with others of like mind who
follow underground/forward thinking producers and labels>>>i couldnt agree more with the notion of community being a strong factor in slsk's
popularity, as well

thx nir!

Postby lookin » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:33 pm

Is soulseek really beneath the RIAA's radar? I did a search for various RIAA artists including Madonna, Ludacris, Michael Jackson, Busta Rhymes and britney spears. All the searches brought up hundreds, even thousands of results. Also Nir claims he has a million registered users, that's hardly an underground community
:lol:
lookin

Do You Never seen Mp3's with labels on :) gime me a brake

Postby WebCideR » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:20 am

before i used slsk i don't even know what labels vinyl ore other type of music words you may find in the music world and i am completely sure about was it not for slsk i never would concider buying a LP Player and start buying records from about 500 kilometer ore lets say from England To Denmark i will do but it is only because the love of the music all my most faverious labels are listed in my MP3 folder "only my own rips" because i never really enjoy playing from a vinyl well it is nice see a mp3 like this BB029-a1 - Brisk & Ham - Angel Eyes.mp3 it is just nice and clean way of telling you have a really cool touch on your music taste.

Keep Spirit To Community one last thing try to go on soulseek forum see how much ppl who release there stuff on slsk it is free don't take any time and they can ask about they like the stuff so they later can be pro producers i tell you try it and if you love the Scene the Music you just have to live with slsk no doubt about that sorry my bad language hope you get the point Danish Fok Out..[/quote]
WebCideR

Previous

Return to Slyck News