Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

slyck's p2p statistics

Post your comments and suggestions here
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

slyck's p2p statistics

Postby caminoix » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:46 pm

where do slyck admins take p2p networks statistics from?

i've noticed edonkey's grown by over 150% in just about two months after about a year's complete stagnation, and it looks like the rate's increasing! emule connected to kad and edonkey shows there are 4,2 million...
mp2p does not seem to have changed at all for over half a year. it's always been 251,137!
caminoix

Postby Cybergenetic » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:18 pm

On the contrary, since the 9th of July, eDonkey2000 network was just under 5 million, and now it's just over 6 million :D . Though about your question on the issue of people of slyck getting there statistics on P2P network numbers, well in the case of eDonkey and Overnet, the clients tell you. As for the other networks, I don't know, Sorry.
Always read the small print.
Cybergenetic

Postby Drake » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:25 pm

I think they get the eDonkey stats from http://ocbmaurice.dyndns.org/pl/ed2k_stats.pl

Those stats aren't really accurate because they count the stats on fake servers like "Sonny Boy". The user count on those servers are inaccurate because they include bots used by the companies who run those servers.

I use http://www.gruk.org/server.met.gz to update my server list and it's currently tracking 66 legitimate servers and my eMule client reports that there are 3.4 million users online and 4.7 million connected to Kad.
Drake

Postby caminoix » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:43 pm

Cybergenetic wrote:On the contrary, since the 9th of July, eDonkey2000 network was just under 5 million, and now it's just over 6 million

why "contrary"? that's exactly what i'm talking about. it means it's gained over 20% in a fortnight. it's like in the land where normal things don't happen very often (johnny bravo, in case you know the guy ;) ).

in the case of eDonkey and Overnet, the clients tell you

right. and they tell me it's 4.2 million (edonkey+kad), not over 6.

Drake's data look similar to mine. thanks for support :)
caminoix

Postby Cybergenetic » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:19 pm

Well you never said anything about the last two weeks, ie you mentioned the last two months with the %150 improvement, naturlaly that's why i said. And on the issue of eMule not saying 6 million, well the official cliet is eDonkey2000, probably why your not getting 'correct' figures. Plus, I don't bother eMule becuase it doesn't connect to Overnet, clearly a hell of alot better than KAD.
Always read the small print.
Cybergenetic

Postby Drake » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:24 pm

Cybergenetic wrote: And on the issue of eMule not saying 6 million, well the official cliet is eDonkey2000, probably why your not getting 'correct' figures.

The client has nothing to do with the lower user count. If I were to let eMule load all servers then it would report over 6 million users as well. The only reason it's reporting 3+ million is because I'm using the met file from gruk, which is a collection of legitimate servers.

Cybergenetic wrote:Plus, I don't bother eMule becuase it doesn't connect to Overnet, clearly a hell of alot better than KAD.

That's your opinion. Many people believe that Kad is far more efficient than Overnet.
Drake

Postby caminoix » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:36 am

a more or less standard set of servers does not return 6 million. btw, it's still fascinating that a network with such crappy queues as edonkey has the biggest number of users.

anyway, the fact that emule connects to kad and edonkey to overnet should not really change the count of edonkey users.

imho, such great changes in the number of users are quite enough to suspect sth's wrong with the stats. and if the numbers do not, in addition, agree with the ones provided by clients, i think it should be an impulse strong enough to do sth about it.
perhaps i'm prejudiced but it looks to me like slyck admins are just trying to promote edonkey over anything else.
or they just don't care - see mp2p's stats not altered by even a person for like half a year.
caminoix

Postby caminoix » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:08 am

edonkey - 8 million! now don't tell me it's believable!
caminoix

Postby caminoix » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:46 pm

wow! 3,4 million now! i'm impressed and very happy :)
caminoix

Return to Tell us what you think